Hypoglycemia

Options
Hello everyone! I am starting my fitness journey once again. One of my biggest issues is eating healthy. I have hypoglycemia, so some days my sugar continues to drop and I feel hungry off and on. It is very difficult to not over eat when that happens.

Does anyone have any snack ideas to help me with my sugar levels and curb my appetite? I sometimes have a hard time finding good snacks due to my food allergies: nuts, peanuts, cocoa, fish, and shellfish.

Thanks,
Alyssa

Replies

• yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,389 Member
    Options
    What is your definition of healthy? What about fruit? What is your goal: to lose weight? If so then you don't need to eat healthy, but just less of what you ate before. Also, meal timing is not important for weight loss either.

Have you chosen an appropriate calorie goal where there is space for food that helps for your hypoglycemia? If not then I would slow down, eat more, incorporate those things.
  • claireychn074
    claireychn074 Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    I can’t give you ideas re healthy foods or ones which will curb your appetite (that’s v individual and “healthy” for instance will mean different things to different people). But I do suffer badly with hypoglycaemia so I tend to ensure I eat protein or fats with anything I know causes a blood sugar spike in me. So toast will cause a massive crash for me, but not if I have peanut butter on it. I have nuts with dried fruit (I know you can’t eat those but just an example), tuna or eggs with pasta, protein bars and shakes are good for me, generally wholemeal stuff spikes less for me, and I make spelt whole grain cookies and muffins which fill me up, and don’t cause a post-sugar crash. I’m not diabetic but I know even amongst diabetics food preference and sugar reactivity is very individual. What do you like eating? What fills you up?
  • Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,298 Member
    Options
    Following on from Yirara, when you have discovered a calorific level appropriate to yourself, I wonder if you can balance your intake through the day rather than following the standard three meal plan generally with one more generous meal.

I also wonder if a full endocrine function review might help, considering your dietary intolerances/allergies. Many general medics don't take all this information into account doing so has really helped me, changed my life. If you can balance your various hormone levels and optimise your digestion you may find you do and feel so much better. Its complicated, possibly a good nutritionist may be a dietitian could help. It needs to be more than a tick box approach, their education and understanding is all.

Take care, Do what is right for you.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,944 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I agree with Fuzzipeg, it seems like with your endocrine issues that a visit to a Dietician is in order if you haven't already been referred to one.

Other than that, sufficient protein and fat and fiber would be my suggestion. It does take a while to get in the groove with foods that you find keep satiety high.

• spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,677 Member
    Options
    Hard boiled eggs or string cheese as snacks are an option, filling and protein rather than something that will raise and lower your blood sugar.
  • Fflpnari
    Fflpnari Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    I get hypoglycemic. Have you noticed what foods effect you more? I can go hours after I get up without eating and be fine. If i have something to high in carbs it will spike and tank. If i eat certain things to fast it will happen too. I tend to do higher protein during the day and save my carbs for dinner/dessert. I have a glucometer and keep track.