Before you changed your eating style

Options
2»

Replies

• elmusho1989
    elmusho1989 Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    It's a really good question. I've totally given up breakfast cereals and now just eat oats, hot or cold.

Can I ask why? Some of them are really low cal and have added vitamins. Obviously oats are healthy too.
  • elmusho1989
    elmusho1989 Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    I haven't really changed my eating style - just reduced portion sizes, reduced some ' empty snacking ' and eating some things less often.

Only thing I changed entirely was swapping sugar sodas to diet version.

This works. I need to do it again....
  • Anthem76
    Anthem76 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I'm eating way less carbs (rice, pasta, sandwich bread) because I'd rather spend more calories on tastier high protein/high fat things, using an enormous salad or pile of steamed veggies as a replacement base. The thing is, I don't even miss those starches. I feel full and satisfied. I currently limit bread to one slice when I have eggs. I also have pizza once a week, where I limit myself to two slices. When I have a hankering for something sweet, I nibble on squares of good chocolate. Something salty? Nuts, cheese, or in dire circumstances, a small portion of chips or popcorn.
  • Anthem76
    Anthem76 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    It's a really good question. I've totally given up breakfast cereals and now just eat oats, hot or cold.

Can I ask why? Some of them are really low cal and have added vitamins. Obviously oats are healthy too.

I have no problem with bowls of cereal/oatmeal, but I usually choose not to spend my limited calories on them because I don't find them satiating. Eggs with avocado, full-fat cottage cheese and Greek yogurt stop my hunger more effectively and keep me full for hours longer.
  • ReenieHJ
    ReenieHJ Posts: 9,724 Member
    Options

I know the question wasn't directed to me but I've pretty much given up breakfast cereal also, eating oatmeal instead. I tried buying some of my favorites to eat dry as a snack but that didn't work out very well. One cup of Honey Nut Cheerios or Cinnamon Toast Crunch always turned into 2, 3, 4 cups. It wasn't something I could control myself around.
  • eshults89
    eshults89 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I have been eating full fat cottage cheese with some fruit every morning, and it really fills me up! I think the thing that I miss and look back and think "oh my, what was I drinking/eating" was my Dunkin Donuts standby - cinnamon raisin bagel with cream cheese and an XL caramel or pumpkin spice coffee with cream. Oops!
  • tinalongworth
    tinalongworth Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    ReenieHJ wrote: »
    What foods were you eating then that you realize now you didn't even like that much?

I'd have to say rice. I used to shovel all those carbs in even though that was something I could've easily said no to. :/

And what foods were never in your diet that you now eat and realize you really enjoy?

Plain non-fat yogurt. I always needed the full fat fruit flavored high calorie yogurts. I do doctor it up with a little sugar free syrup but I eat it every day.
    Another would be carrots and hummus. I have that every day as well.

I used to make fun of any plant-based foods, but now I like veggie burgers. Morning Star Farms Grillers Prime is the best one. I allow myself 1 tbsp of A1 on it and I eat it on Arnold whole wheat with flax and chia sandwich thin. Yummy! Even though it's MOSTLY healthy I still call it my cheat meal because of the bread and A1.
  • Speakeasy76
    Speakeasy76 Posts: 961 Member
    Options

I know the question wasn't directed to me but I've pretty much given up breakfast cereal also, eating oatmeal instead. I tried buying some of my favorites to eat dry as a snack but that didn't work out very well. One cup of Honey Nut Cheerios or Cinnamon Toast Crunch always turned into 2, 3, 4 cups. It wasn't something I could control myself around.

When I visit my mom, she has multiple boxes of cereal like various Special K flavors and Frosted Mini-wheats (which she gets for my kids). I still like the taste of cereal (and used to be a binge food for me) so I consider it like a treat for me to eat it there, which I do. However, if I just eat the cereal with milk and fruit, within 2 hours not only am I starving again, but I'm shaky! I'm so used to my higher fiber, high protein, healthy fats breakfasts now. However, plain oatmeal with added fruit and some healthy fat and protein DOES keep me full for quite awhile.
  • tinalongworth
    tinalongworth Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    French fries and potato chips. I mean, I still like them ok, but I'm definitely choosy. I find most french fries are just not that good. During my very first phase of my elimination diet, I actually could have potato chips, as long as they were cooked in sunflower or avocado oil and just had salt. Since I couldn't eat many things at all, I got some and ate some...but just didn't find them all that enjoyable.

Also, I used to think I liked all kinds of chocolate, but now I realize the cheaper chocolates just aren't all that good. I agree about the regular M & M's, but I used to have a hard time controlling myself around the peanut butter ones. I thought I used to love Peanut butter Snickers, but I bought some because they were on clearance and allowed myself to have one. It just wasn't as good as I remembered.

I used to buy those "light" Yoplaits when doing stuff like WW, but never really liked them and would get sick of them. Now, I like my Fage 2% plain with some fruit and maybe a drizzle of honey, or even light Hershey's syrup.

Try Flock chicken chips. You might like that. Or pork rinds. If you need a crunchy snack they both have little to no carbs.
  • LazyBlondeChef
    LazyBlondeChef Posts: 2,809 Member
    edited May 2021
    Options
    At home I eat the same food I always have eaten for the most part other than I'm currently minimizing gluten and dairy for anti-inflammatory reasons. I don't like fast food or most junk/highly processed food. I do have some vices though ... I love french fries and tater tots. Every so often I get a craving for classic Lays potato chips. I've always thought it meant I needed salt. My weight gain was mostly due to a lot of traveling pre-pandemic and too many restaurant meals even with decent choices. Restaurant versions of dishes are so much more caloric than what I would make at home.

Probably the biggest changes I've made since October when I started my weight reduction:
    • Replace french fries with oven baked potatoes
    • Replace full fat cottage cheese with low fat (big difference in calories)
    • Limit restaurant meals to once a week
    • Limit alcohol to only 1-2 times per week
    • Weigh everything to the gram

Regarding restaurants ... my partner and I took a vacation last week where we didn't do as well as we would have liked with our meals so going forward we are going to do more sharing of food so we can better keep our calories in check. At home we can take half the meal home for the next day but that's a little difficult when we're away.
  • MsCzar
    MsCzar Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    What foods were you eating then that you realize now you didn't even like that much?

Pop-tarts. I never much cared for them - but they were always in my cupboard.

What foods were never in your diet that you now eat and realize you really enjoy?

Greek yogurt

I still love all the 'bad' foods I used to eat - but now they are once in a blue moon items for which I make room in my daily calorie budget. Then there are the foods that I simply canNOT have in the house: ice cream, packages of cookies and cashews.
  • Rimtimtim
    Rimtimtim Posts: 21 Member
    Options

Not OP, but for me I can't portion control the sugary cereals, and I don't like the "healthy" ones. That and it doesn't keep me satisfied for long. That and the added vitamins are mostly a scam, they have a miniscule added and you can get better from elsewhere.
  • Rimtimtim
    Rimtimtim Posts: 21 Member
    Options

I tried something similar a few months ago. Bought a box of the good stuff for a sensible portion on the weekends. Had a sensible portion, then proceeded to eat the entire box over the next few hours. 1400 calories in cereal, and that isn't counting the milk.