Advice Please FEMALE TMI WARNING

Hi
I'm a month ish of being back on the MFP wagon and have currently lost 1st 6lbs

I'm now on the 2nd day of a very very heavy, dark red, thick and clotty period - I'm normally fairly light and irregular due to Implant so can't recall my last period. Been using implants for 11 or so years

Oh incase it's important I'm 35 and long term relationship so little chance of STI

Should i be worrying and calling the doctor today, or would you wait till next time incase it's just a fluke

I also had covid vaccination last week (pzizer) but assume it's more likely to be diet related

Replies

• thisvickyruns
    thisvickyruns Posts: 193 Member
    The heavy bleeding/clots have been tied to the vaccine and to covid infection.

Interesting....
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Anecdotally, this seems to be a not uncommon side effect that some people experience. In addition to hearing some people report it here, I've read a couple of articles about it.
  • penguinmama87
    penguinmama87 Posts: 1,158 Member
    edited May 2021

To the OP: I would recommend calling your doctor/midwife just to be sure, because I've had it drilled into my head that clots can mean Bad News. It might be totally fine, but I'd rather have that peace of mind.

I actually did not know this at all. I'm recently vaccinated and actually experienced an early (for me) return of cycles at 10 months postpartum. I typically experience lactational amenhorrea for 15+ months after giving birth. I was speculating weight loss was the reason, though in my head that seemed kind of backwards, because I'm putting more stress and fewer calories in, which you'd think would have the opposite effect. But now I wonder if the vaccine has something to do with it.

It's interesting that there's that side effect. I wonder why, for a respiratory illness. Hm.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,937 Member

To the OP: I would recommend calling your doctor/midwife just to be sure, because I've had it drilled into my head that clots can mean Bad News. It might be totally fine, but I'd rather have that peace of mind.

I actually did not know this at all. I'm recently vaccinated and actually experienced an early (for me) return of cycles at 10 months postpartum. I typically experience lactational amenhorrea for 15+ months after giving birth. I was speculating weight loss was the reason, though in my head that seemed kind of backwards, because I'm putting more stress and fewer calories in, which you'd think would have the opposite effect. But now I wonder if the vaccine has something to do with it.

It's interesting that there's that side effect. I wonder why, for a respiratory illness. Hm.

Apparently ( according to what I read ) it has to do with the inflammatory/immune response. It seems it's common with other vaccinations, as well. Temporary, nothing to be alarmed about.

• penguinmama87
    penguinmama87 Posts: 1,158 Member

Apparently ( according to what I read ) it has to do with the inflammatory/immune response. It seems it's common with other vaccinations, as well. Temporary, nothing to be alarmed about.

I'm doing some research now and this is fascinating stuff. It may not even have been a true cycle in my case, but more like what has happened to post-menopausal women or other women on hormone treatments that would prevent cycling. I guess I'll have to wait a couple of weeks and see if I actually have another period or not. I wouldn't be surprised if I don't, after the couple of articles I've read.

I could see how it could be alarming, though, given that many women (myself included) are probably not regularly getting vaccines at all except maybe the flu (and I get Tdap when pregnant), so there aren't a lot of points of comparison.
  • westrich20940
    westrich20940 Posts: 873 Member
    Does your health insurance have like a nurse practitioner help line you could just call? That's probably a quick question you could ask them and they can further give you advice on whether or not you should get it checked out. I tend to think anything way different could be bad...but it could also be what others are saying and just a side effect of the vaccine. I personally didn't notice any difference with my period after my Moderna vaccine shots (I take no hormone BC).

You could alternatively just call the scheduling dept for your OB/GYN and tell them you'd like to just leave a message/question for your doc to get back to you.
  • julsmarshall
    julsmarshall Posts: 129 Member
    I too had the heaviest period I’ve ever had post vaccine and it went on for nearly a month. Not fun but also seems like a fairly common side effect of vaccines. I added an iron supplement to my regime just in case.
  • Iwannabeapunkrockmom
    Iwannabeapunkrockmom Posts: 61 Member
    I had a torrential 14 day period after the first vaccine and after the second dose, it was also torrential, but only lasted 6 days. I am back to my normal (for me) 26 day cycle with 4 days of bleeding. Those post vax periods were scary and painful. I couldn't even leave the bathroom because I was soaking through everything. I had to take my daughter to the ER for their first post vax period. They were in so much pain, and screaming, and there was just so much blood. And they were vomiting and had diarrhea. It was just awful.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,389 Member

Oh, interesting! I usually manage 3 months in longterm cycle on the pill. This time I only managed two months and then started bleeding. Makes me wonder whether the shot makes the pill less effective. Oh well, next week Monday I'll get the second shot. Nearly done with it.
  • whoami67
    whoami67 Posts: 297 Member
    Either you or your doctor should be reporting side effects like this from the vaccine.
  • csplatt
    csplatt Posts: 1,002 Member
    I had a very dark and thick period once, lasted longer than usual, and it was an ectopic pregnancy. Just FYI. I needed emergency surgery.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,889 Member
    Here's an article that someone else posted here recently:

https://whowhatwhy.org/2021/05/15/how-the-moderna-vaccine-got-us-talking-about-periods/
  • Beverly2Hansen
    Beverly2Hansen Posts: 378 Member
    Arm implants and depo can hide or manage the symptoms of Endometriosis so often those disorders go unnoticed until you stop using them. One period like this after stopping isn't that abnormal but I would see a gyno, discuss it especially the size of the clotting and then plan to check in after 3 periods in the event that further investigation is warranted.
  • april_slusher2003
    april_slusher2003 Posts: 3 Member
    I have had spotting since I received my Pfizer vaccines. It is going on 6 weeks of spotting. I had an appointment last week with my OB-GYN and will be going for a follow-up and a ultrasound this week. I do have endometriosis and take my BC pills striaght through so that I do not have a period. I have not had any issues until after the vaccine. I will be asking my doctor about this Thursday when I have my follow-up and I will let let you all know what is said.
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,931 Member
    Since your original post and even any reply after it did not clearly say if you've even been vaccinated, I'd also be inclined to take a dollarstore pregnancy test to rule that out.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,978 Member
    Verykatie what do you mean it does not clearly say if she has even been vaccinated?? - OP says I also had covid vaccination last week (pzizer) but assume it's more likely to be diet related