Math Question

One jar = 24 oz
Serving size = 1/2 cup (4 oz)
Approx 5 servings per jar
80 calories per serving

What is the total amount of calories for 1/2 jar (12 oz)?

Thank you!

Replies

• PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,531 Member
    You have a potential confusion in case the jar oz are weight and the serving measurement is cup/volume, making the oz different animals.

Otherwise the serving per jar should have been 6.

The manufacturer is not inspiring me and should have listed a gram value next to the cup. I would compare the product to similar ones in the market. Is it in line or is it showing away lower calories?

That said this is not a calorically dense product and your max - min difference is between choosing 200 Cal for half a jar that contains approximately 5 servings, or 240 Cal for 12 oz.

I would go for 240 Cal and call it a day, subject to double checking the manufacturer against others in their industry....
  • spiegeltobylee
    spiegeltobylee Posts: 15 Member
    240 calories is what I will use. I know the servings per jar should have been 6, but that's what the jar says. So confusing. TY so much for your answer!
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,959 Member
    Does the product in question sink in water? That would explain why the total product in the jar might weigh 24 oz. but only take up about 20 fluid ounces of space (volume).
  • spiegeltobylee
    spiegeltobylee Posts: 15 Member
    edited May 2021
    Does the product in question sink in water? That would explain why the total product in the jar might weigh 24 oz. but only take up about 20 fluid ounces of space (volume).

Yes, the product is mandarin oranges in juice.