How many calories should I eat while pregnant?

Options
I just found out that I am pregnant, and I have been on a 1200 cal a day goal. I'm sure i'm going to need to up this, but it will be at least a week or two before I can get to the doctor to ask these questions. So, what would you say is a "safe" calorie intake for me untill I can talk to the doctor???

Replies

• AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    google it, i know it's out there some where because i googled it when i was pregnant.
  • AlyRoseNYC
    AlyRoseNYC Posts: 1,075 Member
    Options
    If you are already eating healthy, I don't see any reason to change what you are doing. Just continue to make smart choices.
  • afigueroa_pr
    Options
    I believe the rule is an extra 30-35% of your calories.
    Not sure though, could someone elaborate?

Thanks!
  • dayzeerock
    dayzeerock Posts: 918 Member
    Options
    First off, congrats (I hope)! Secondly, nobody on this site can tell you how many calories you need to eat. We don't know all of your information...your general health, how you metabolize things, etc. I would up it to at least 1500-1700 for now until you meet with your doctor. They are the ones who will be seeing you in real life and can determine this for you.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    I just found out that I am pregnant, and I have been on a 1200 cal a day goal. I'm sure i'm going to need to up this, but it will be at least a week or two before I can get to the doctor to ask these questions. So, what would you say is a "safe" calorie intake for me untill I can talk to the doctor???

I would suggest eating maintenance calories during your first trimester anyway (no more than a 250 cal deficit anyway), you usually need to add 200-300 more per day in the third trimester (ask your doctor)
  • miadvh
    miadvh Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    http://www.babycenter.com/0_the-13-rules-of-safe-pregnancy-exercise_622.bc

Edit: According to babycenter, take in an extra 300-500 calories a day.
    2: Congrats on the pregnancy!
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    I believe the rule is an extra 30-35% of your calories.
    Not sure though, could someone elaborate?

Thanks!

No it is only an extra 200-300 per day and not necessary until the second and third trimester (we have a 10 month old so have gone through all of this stuff recently)
  • ♥_Ellybean_♥
    ♥_Ellybean_♥ Posts: 1,646 Member
    Options
    I think it's an extra 25% of calories, however, if your hungry I would not stick like glue to any calorie range within reason.. your baby needs foods to grow... just chose healthier options for you and your baby
  • acciomuscles
    acciomuscles Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    My common sense is telling me that you should not necessarily restrict calories, but just focus on eating nutrient-rich foods (that will benefit you and your baby!) Congratulations :)
  • AlyRoseNYC
    Options
    Also, if you are not already drinking it, I suggest a cup of Red Raspberry Leaf tea daily. Not the flavored raspberry stuff. Actually raspeberry leaves. I drink the Yogi brand and they are starting to pop up a lot in most supermarkets. RRL helps with strengthening and toning the uterus. This can be very helpful in preparing for labor and the healing process after giving birth. It is especially beneficial if you are planning a VBAC (vaginal birth after cesarean.) You should read up on it =)

It does really taste horrible though lol. Kind of like tree bark. I usually steep it with a bag of pepermint tea or something equally strong to mask the taste.
  • schobert101
    schobert101 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    If you are already eating healthy, I don't see any reason to change what you are doing. Just continue to make smart choices.

No to this ^^^. She said she is on 1200 calories for weight loss. Not wise with the pregnancy. Refer to the subsequent responses.
  • gianna42
    gianna42 Posts: 5,991 Member
    Options
    You don't need extra calories your 1st trimester - just a healthy diet full of nutrients and a supplement (prenatal vit, ideally) to make sure you get the folic acid you need. You should be seeing a doctor before your 2nd trimester, and he or she can advise you from there.

Oh - and I noticed the above 1200 calories. You should not be restricting calories while pregnant (meaning going below your maintenance intake).
  • ErrataCorrige
    ErrataCorrige Posts: 649 Member
    Options

No it is only an extra 200-300 per day and not necessary until the second and third trimester (we have a 10 month old so have gone through all of this stuff recently)

This is right. I just had a baby last year and this is what the doctor said. Also, it is WAY more important to worry about your nutirient intake than your calorie intake. And don't forget the water!!!!

And congrats! babies rock!
  • vick9180
    vick9180 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Your OB will likely recommend an increase of 300 calories per day. When pregnant, the focus shouldn't be on losing weight, but to be healthy for you and the growing baby, so you definitely need more than 1200 calories a day.
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    Until you see your doctor, switch to maintenance. You don't really need extra calories at first.
  • BethHanson
    BethHanson Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    You shouldn't have to add any calories to your diet until after the first three months of your pregnancy. That little one doesn't require much in the form of calories before than, it is more about the nutrition the little one is getting...take your supplements and eat right and you shouldn't have a problem....
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! I would go on the advice of your OB. Best Wishes!
  • leandread
    leandread Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your pregnancy--welcome to the club. I'm due early next year...My doctor told me that I didn't need to change my diet until the second trimester, but I do think you need to adjust your settings to higher than1200 because I am assuming that's your goal to lose a certain amount of pounds each week. Check out http://www.freedieting.com/tools/calorie_calculator.htm
    its pretty useful to calculate pregnancy needs.

My midwife and ob/gyn said that i should adjust my calorie intake to maintain my weight during the first trimester, increase 200-300 calories per day during the second trimester and 400 calories additional during the 3rd trimester. I am really tall and still heavy and the caloric intake for my second trimester seems incredibly high for me because I was eating around 1500 calories/day to lose 1.5 lbs a week before I was pregnant. Now my goal is closer to 2300 calories per day and quite honestly, I never end up eating that much, even when I indulge in my cravings because for the most part I still eat very healthy foods that are whole grain, low in saturated fat and sodium. If you focus on eating heathy, drinking lots of water, getting your lean protein, leafy greens and a variety of fruit, you will probably not have to worry much about anything. I'm 16 weeks and I have only gained 2 pounds.
  • PuzzleGirl65
    PuzzleGirl65 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I would suggest you call your doctor's office. I'm sure someone there will give you some advice over the phone.
  • AlyRoseNYC
    Options

No to this ^^^. She said she is on 1200 calories for weight loss. Not wise with the pregnancy. Refer to the subsequent responses.

With all due respect, this is part of the reason why we have so many obese new mothers. Pregnancy is not a disability, regardless of what the medical industry in this country would like us to believe. For an industrialized nation, we have the highest percentage of medicalized births, and our current cesarean rate (over 34%) is evidence that we are doing something wrong. Pregnant women around the world carry on with their lives without being treated as if they are cripples and give birth to healthy babies-at home.

I truly mean it when I say that I do not mean to come off as rude or anything like that. I have been obsessed with researching natural pregnancy and birth for the past three years, after having had an unecessarean.