Running without a plan - bad idea?

Options
I see all these threads about plans and C25k etc. I'm pretty confident I'd miss a day or fail at those plans, etc. My goal is just to get in better shape, and I kind of like running (in a sense). I'm worried that following a plan would take the very limited enjoyment I obtain out of it.

Is it a bad idea to just go run what I feel like running, slow down when I feel too tired to go, and switch up with bike or rowing when my body feels too sore to run?

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    iam4scuba wrote: »
    I see all these threads about plans and C25k etc. I'm pretty confident I'd miss a day or fail at those plans, etc. My goal is just to get in better shape, and I kind of like running (in a sense). I'm worried that following a plan would take the very limited enjoyment I obtain out of it.

Is it a bad idea to just go run what I feel like running, slow down when I feel too tired to go, and switch up with bike or rowing when my body feels too sore to run?

The primary purpose and benefit of a program like C25K is to provide a complete novice who has no clue what they're really doing, how they should feel, don't know how to pace, etc with structure so that they're not just guessing. It ultimately doesn't get most people to an actual 5K run, it gets people to be able to run for 30 minutes without stopping and then most people just keep training to get a full 5K and get their time down.

People have been just going out for a jog without any specific program forever. My wife is an avid runner and generally doesn't follow any kind of specific, structured program unless she's training for a race...in which case structured programing will make a big difference in her performance.

I am not a runner, but I am an avid cycling enthusiast...in general I do not follow any kind of structured programming and typically just ride. From time to time I do run a program, but it is generally to improve on some aspect of my overall performance that isn't really going to get better with just going out for a ride. I don't race much anymore (though I'm getting the itch to pick it back up), but when I did and when I was doing a bunch of different endurance cycling events I ran a structured program because the difference in my performance on event day was night and day compared to just riding on a regular basis.

So no...there's nothing wrong with just going out and going for a jog...just depends on what you ultimately want to get out of it. Some programs also require more or less commitment. Something like C25K isn't particularly demanding...it's 3x per week for 30 minutes a pop and if you miss one it's not really that big of a deal. When my wife gets into marathon training and whatnot, it can be pretty grueling and requires commitment...but running a marathon in general requires commitment, so the training commitment just comes with the territory.

All that said, I will say that I was in the best shape of my life when my workouts (bike and weight room) were structured. I'm in pretty good shape now and mostly "play" and have fun...but my fitness was through the roof when basically all of my exercise and workouts were highly structured. Just depends on where you want to be...right now I'm just having fun playing, but I do kind of miss being in that top physical condition sometimes.
  • moonangel12
    moonangel12 Posts: 971 Member
    Options
    Definitely depends on the person and the goal. If you enjoy it and have the will power to get your butt out the door on a consistent basis then you should be fine! I do not. I need external motivation for things or it could be weeks between runs. I sign up for occasional races to keep me going (this is the first time I don’t have something on the horizon because I am letting my body rest/heal after some auto immune issues). C25K was great for me to break it down into smaller bites so I didn’t get overwhelmed or push myself too hard too soon and quit. It was small, attainable goals.

If you enjoy running just to run, go for it! You don’t NEED a program, but it can add some focus if you need it.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    C25K is designed for people who want to run a 5K within a set period of time (or want the structure of a training plan to begin running). If you don't have a specific goal in mind, I don't think there's any problem with just running for pleasure and listening to your body. Many people start running without a program.
  • Djproulx
    Djproulx Posts: 3,084 Member
    Options

@cwolfman13 nailed it. As he and other posters mentioned, a plan is certainly not required unless you're driven to reach specific time or performance goals. And from reading your post, I'd say that continuing your current approach could easily lead to a running habit. That way, you'll enjoy it and the habit will lead to long term fitness improvements.

In reading the bolded part of your post, it sounds to me like you already have a decent "plan" in mind:

1) Run when you feel like running: Avoids burnout by starting too aggressively.
    2) Slow down when too tired: This is a key part of many training plans. Run/walk approaches are very effective.
    3) Switch it up with bike and rowing: These are great cross training activities that will help develop other muscle groups and reduce chances of overuse injury from only running.

• yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,389 Member
    Options
    Nothing wrong with that. We all have different things that motivate us. For me, I seem to be able to run faster and better all of a sudden the moment I start a running plan, because I have a goal that I want to achieve. But hey, I do enjoy my slow trot without a plan as well. You don't need a plan. If you're a beginner then I'd just say that keep it easy and try to avoid injury. Include some longer, very slow runs, but never run more than 10% more than the longer run the previous week. This can prevent injury. Other than that: just enjoy.
  • iam4scuba
    iam4scuba Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Thanks all! Going to continue at it. Yeah, I'm not trying to get into races or certainly not marathons. I think a plan may help me be a bit more efficient, but, I'm trying to use my brain as little as possible when not necessary :).

And ultimately, just really trying to lose weight, get healthier, and stay under water longer. And if it takes me 20% longer to get to each "level" of health, I'm ok with that if it means I can just zone out.
  • iam4scuba
    iam4scuba Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Djproulx wrote: »

@cwolfman13 nailed it. As he and other posters mentioned, a plan is certainly not required unless you're driven to reach specific time or performance goals. And from reading your post, I'd say that continuing your current approach could easily lead to a running habit. That way, you'll enjoy it and the habit will lead to long term fitness improvements.

In reading the bolded part of your post, it sounds to me like you already have a decent "plan" in mind:

2) Slow down when too tired: This is a key part of many training plans. Run/walk approaches are very effective.
    3) Switch it up with bike and rowing: These are great cross training activities that will help develop other muscle groups and reduce chances of overuse injury from only running.

It seems in my attempt to not create a plan I have created a plan. Classic!
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    Djproulx wrote: »

It seems in my attempt to not create a plan I have created a plan. Classic!

It's a great plan...as long as you pay attention to the three key points you mentioned. The very reason for programs like C25K is to keep new runners from doing too much too soon which will ultimately lead to burnout and/or injury. It's important not to get caught up in the notion that every run should be faster or longer than the last. Much like weight loss, progress in running happens slowly over time. There will be slow days and fast days, tough days and easy days, good days and bad days. The most important thing is to keep with it.

FWIW, I started running years and years ago with very much the same "plan" as you. I never thought about increasing my pace or distance, I just ran as much or as little as I wanted at whatever pace felt right (it helped that these were the days before GPS watches and apps, so there was much less temptation to focus on those things). When I finally decided to try my hand at an actual race, I realized that I had worked myself into an above average (pace) runner.

Happy Running to you!