Supportive wife - help!

Options
In a nutshell, my husband wants to lose weight, but wants me to do it for him. He's been talking about it every day for years, but now he has a goal and goal weight, but no plan. He won't research how to lose weight, he won't seek guidance (self or outside help) for what his calorie goals should be, but expects me to figure out his meals, diet, and nutritional needs. We have different ways of approaching weight loss; I've done my own training and diet in the past (clean eating, track macros, cals., exercise), with the help of a coach, but this is not his approach and I feel this is his journey and he has to do what works for him.
I support him 100% and will help with whatever he needs, but can't and won't do it for him.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Replies

• thisvickyruns
    thisvickyruns Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    do you normally cook? if so then I would keep making whatever you normally make and just tell him to portion it accordingly... maybe add in an extra choice of veg for him? have a conversation before you don the weekly food shop and ask if there's anything he specifically does or doesn't want...

As you say, he's a grown up, its up to him how much he eats.
  • goal06082021
    goal06082021 Posts: 2,130 Member
    edited May 2021
    Options
    You're 100% right that he needs to be the one to take responsibility and figure out his own goals and how to meet them. You can tell him that you will support whatever he chooses to do and help in whatever way you can, but what that help and support looks like are up to him - he has to figure out what he wants to do and what he needs from you to make it happen, and he needs to ask for it, out loud, with words. I think the most work you should do for him is to maybe, maybe, offer to help him set up an account on MFP, if he wants to use an app like this. If you normally do the cooking, it would be kind of you to give him your recipe information so he can log his food accurately.
  • OnceAndFutureAthlete
    OnceAndFutureAthlete Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    You're 100% right that he needs to be the one to take responsibility and figure out his own goals and how to meet them. You can tell him that you will support whatever he chooses to do and help in whatever way you can, but what that help and support looks like are up to him - he has to figure out what he wants to do and what he needs from you to make it happen, and he needs to ask for it, out loud, with words. I think the most work you should do for him is to maybe, maybe, offer to help him set up an account on MFP, if he wants to use an app like this. If you normally do the cooking, it would be kind of you to give him your recipe information so he can log his food accurately.

This x 1,000,000,000,...
    Sounds like he is setting you up to take the blame for HIS failure to lose weight.

I agree you can be supportive by asking him what you can do to HELP (not do it for him, but SPECIFICS), like does he want your traditional recipes altered? cook new recipes (that HE provides)? Details of your reecipes so he can track?
    And say you'd be happy to discuss what works for you - if he asks.

But he needs to be the one putting in the effort.
  • chocolate_owl
    chocolate_owl Posts: 1,695 Member
    Options
    Your title says "supportive wife," so let's talk about things you can do to SUPPORT him.

-If you are in charge of the grocery shopping, you can buy the foods HE puts on the list.
    -If you are responsible for the cooking, you can make meals in line with the food plan HE chooses.
    -If you have the time and desire, you can join him on exercises HE chooses to do.
    -If you know there are specific foods that are triggering to him, you can not bring those around him or suggest them.
    -If you know he's limited in time and you have more free time, you can take on an extra chore so he can get an hour in at the gym.

That's support, and it's support you only give if it's not detrimental to your own goals and well-being. What you've described in your OP is doing it all for him, with no buy-in from him that will motivate him to succeed. I plan and cook all our meals in my household, and I'm slowly, steadily losing weight based on that. My husband has lost nothing because my meal planning doesn't stop him from getting chips from the office vending machine or making cocktails in the evening. My workout routine doesn't drag him along with me. My conversations with my doctors about my health do not address any of his issues. If he wants to lose weight, he has to take those actions for himself.
  • SuzySunshine99
    SuzySunshine99 Posts: 2,983 Member
    Options
    You know, there's not a lot of situations where I would recommend looking into a meal delivery plan, but this may be one of them.

Something like Nutisystem or similar might work for him, if you are willing to spend the money. Then, someone else would be responsible for working out his calories and meals...not you.

Downside is the cost of it, and if he's okay with eating something different than what you're eating.
  • goal06082021
    goal06082021 Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    MaltedTea wrote: »
    I say do it for him.

Start with the "All asparagus, all the time" diet and suggest he walk 10 miles a day..but only in one dedicated loop around your neighborhood.

When that doesn't work, move him to the "Boiled mackerel and seasonal, locally foraged veggie" diet. He has to do the foraging and everything has to be harvested by 5:45 am ... no matter the weather or time of year.

Pretty sure if he'll figure out how experiment with what works for him after that. If not, post back here: I've bookmarked the thread and have plenty of other ridiculous diet/exercise ideas 😂

The All-Asparagus Diet would be fine as long as Hubby has his own bathroom...LMAO

And he's gotta catch the mackerel, too. Oh, you live deep in the heart of Kansas? That's rough, buddy.

In all seriousness I think @SuzySunshine99 might be onto something - if the budget has room for Nutrisystem or something similar, that might be a decent place for him to start. He should still be the one to look into it and run the numbers, though.