Weight loss struggle

Hi everyone
Im really stuck ln what to do next. I am four months into my weight loss and have lost almost 50lb. The last 2 weeks i have been working out 3/4 times a week doing HIIT battle ropes, skipping and recently got some dumbbells to do full body workouts. I started doing these as my weight loss was clearly slowing down which im assuming is due to my metabolism slowing down.

Since ive been working out and sticking to my 1800-2000 calories a day i lost 0.5lb one week and then put on 1.5lb this week and im so confused. Im still on a good amount of calories and exercising 3/4 times per week and im putting on weight!!! Im really stuck on what to do, i also upped my protein intake to help with some muscle and help my metabolism but im struggling so much.

Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Replies

• ashleigh4502
    ashleigh4502 Posts: 2 Member
    Try to lower your calories and see if that will help.
  • JamieMiddleton689
    JamieMiddleton689 Posts: 12 Member
    If i lower my calories any more it will be even harder to maintain my weight when im at my goal so thats not really an option.

For my macros, i dont monitor them i just make sure i dont go over my recommended amount in my diary. I just stick to 100-120g of protein and 1900cal a day but this has to be something more major than macros if im putting on weight and working out regularly with low calories.

My sleep is good, i get around 7 hours a night. I went through a break up a couple of weeks ago so whether thats stressed me out but again something as major as the weight gain cant be down to something that minor surely.
  • JamieMiddleton689
    Thats great, thanks for informing me about that. Im a lot more content with the scale going up temporarily now so hopefully in a couple weeks i will start to see loss again.
  • penguinmama87
    penguinmama87 Posts: 1,158 Member
    Congratulations on your weight loss so far - 50 lbs is a huge accomplishment!

I agree with @Redordeadhead that your increased strength training is a likely reason for the stall on the scale. You could definitely still be losing fat, it's just not noticeable on the scale yet because of the work your muscles are doing to repair themselves.

I'd stick with it a couple more weeks and see if you trend downwards anymore before you decide to make any additional changes. Weight loss also should slow down as you get closer to goal; it doesn't mean you've done anything wrong. You're just working with a smaller calorie allotment because you really do need most of the ones you're working with, unlike when you were fifty pounds heavier.
  • fitstrongfitlove
    fitstrongfitlove Posts: 58 Member
    edited May 2021
    I think it's wise to keep an eye on things, but try not to worry too much. Look how far you have come in such a short amount of time. In two months I have lost about 15% of your total. (Although my goal is less than half of what you have already lost)

You haven't mentioned how your height or weight. It is possible that your body has lost a significant amount of weight and needs a beat to recalibrate itself.

I see a lot of people just keep pushing their bodies to keep loosing. Our body works to be in balance. It may be trying to recalibrate itself. Don't worry about a few pounds of gain. Just keep going. Keep reading these forums. People who have literally lost hundreds all say the same thing: sustainable weight loss takes time.

Yes, you may need change something. Or you may not. Slow down long enough to listen to your body. Let it tell you what it needs. It may mean more sleep, less stress, more fiber, more gentleness. It may want you to start training for a marathon. Give yourself permission to pause and really listen.

• vanmep
    vanmep Posts: 406 Member
    First, It sounds like you have been losing an average of 3 pounds per week which is a high / quick rate of loss that won’t likely continue over the long term. Depending on how much weight you started with, it may not even be healthy to keep losing at that rate. Secondly, don’t forget that if you are 50 pounds lighter your body has 50 pounds less to move around and you will be burning less calories with your activities just because of that (you used to be carrying 5 bags of potatoes everywhere with you 😆). And finally, Weight loss just naturally fluctuates for many reasons. Now and again someone will post a photo of their weight loss over time and it is never a straight line down. It will go up and down many, many times as it trends downwards. Don’t forget to focus on all of the other gains you have made - stronger, faster, longer, more. That can much more motivational than a number on the scale.
  • JamieMiddleton689
    vanmep wrote: »
    First, It sounds like you have been losing an average of 3 pounds per week which is a high / quick rate of loss that won’t likely continue over the long term. Depending on how much weight you started with, it may not even be healthy to keep losing at that rate. Secondly, don’t forget that if you are 50 pounds lighter your body has 50 pounds less to move around and you will be burning less calories with your activities just because of that (you used to be carrying 5 bags of potatoes everywhere with you 😆). And finally, Weight loss just naturally fluctuates for many reasons. Now and again someone will post a photo of their weight loss over time and it is never a straight line down. It will go up and down many, many times as it trends downwards. Don’t forget to focus on all of the other gains you have made - stronger, faster, longer, more. That can much more motivational than a number on the scale.

Thanks for the support, i really appreciate it 🙂
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,413 Member

This. I was going to say exactly this but got to the end and ya beat me to it.

When you lose what as fast as you did (I was on a similar trajectory) it can feel like you’ve come to a stone cold dead end when the rapid loss stops. It felt to me like I was in a plateau, but really, when I got over the gnashing of teeth and drama of it all, I was still losing at a steady pace, albeit waaaay more slowly.

The first fifty pounds came off fast. The next twenty five or so took another year- but that was still a welcome couple pounds a mont. The final dozen came off unexpectedly- and unplanned for- over the course of the first six months of lockdown.

Expectations can be a *kitten*. Expecting your body and scale to stay in line with those expectations can very easily drive you nuts.

I bet if you go back and objectively look at that scale, you’re still losing, just not at the former clip.
  • Fflpnari
    Fflpnari Posts: 975 Member
    How much more do you have to lose? Are you weighing and tracking everything?