*all u men out there, whats a healthy meal that you would LO

Options
2»

Replies

• Dandersonjr32
    Options
    Here's my thought:

Filet Mignon. It's a super lean cut of beef that is one of the most protein dense foods in the world. Be careful how you cook it, though. It is so lean that you can dry it out, so make sure it's a beautiful medium rare, anything more than that is sacrilegious. My best results come with a well seasoned cast iron pan as hot as I can get it with a touch of peanut oil just ready to some. Season it generously with nothing but salt and pepper, sear it for a couple minutes on both sides and let rest.

Serve with roasted sweet potatoes and broiled asparagus. Serve with a Longtrail Coffee Stout.
  • Dandersonjr32
    Options

curious, what makes a sweet potato better than a white potato?

The sweet potato is more fibrous, harder to digest.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Here's my thought:

Filet Mignon. It's a super lean cut of beef that is one of the most protein dense foods in the world. Be careful how you cook it, though. It is so lean that you can dry it out, so make sure it's a beautiful medium rare, anything more than that is sacrilegious. My best results come with a well seasoned cast iron pan as hot as I can get it with a touch of peanut oil just ready to some. Season it generously with nothing but salt and pepper, sear it for a couple minutes on both sides and let rest.

Serve with roasted sweet potatoes and broiled asparagus. Serve with a Longtrail Coffee Stout.

Good call. Tip for ya... use a basting brush to brush the oil right onto the steak, then season.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options

but a white potato is higher in essential minerals, does the higher fiber content negate the higher essential mineral content of the white potato?
  • afigueroa_pr
    Options
    Anything that involves chicken in my book is pretty healthy!
  • MrBrown72
    MrBrown72 Posts: 407 Member
    Options

but a white potato is higher in essential minerals, does the higher fiber content negate the higher essential mineral content of the white potato?

This thread is not about you strange ab creature.

Anything you cook (as long is it is not something you know he hates) will be great. It's flattering just to know that you did it for him, and served with that smile you can't go wrong.

the last dinner I made for someone was:
    Sea Bass
    Saffron Risotto
    and Asparagus wrapped in turkey bacon.

I think the cheese in the Risotto was the only high fat part of the meal.
  • FatDadSlim
    FatDadSlim Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    Google "March the 14th" for our absolute favourite meal :devil:
  • jjs22
    jjs22 Posts: 156
    Options
    I'd say that for men who eat meat at all, nearly all of us LOVE it grilled. Same for fish.

I bought myself a Lodge cast iron grill pan, like a heavy skillet with ridges in the bottom. I let it sit on high until it starts to smoke, and the instant you drop a steak or something on it it sizzles real loud. Leaves black grill marks on the food and the edges get brown and crispy. Mmmm. Just sprinkling the meat/fish first with salt (kosher salt !) and fresh ground black pepper is pretty amazing, then you can start to experiment with other spices. The taste is so good you don't need or want any kind of sauce to cover it up !

In terms of diet/health, be sure to remember "other" meats like lamb, bison, and non-chicken birds like duck and game hen. Just about anything that isn't manufactured inside a humongous agri-factory is going to taste better and be better for you. Depending on how you cook it, duck can be really high in fat, but soooo worth it.

One dish I tried recently and loved was chickpeas (garbanzos) and ground lamb. I saw it as a tapa in Spain, but it comes from North Africa, and I think they eat that combo in India. I just googled "chickpeas lamb" and got a recipe. Lots of great spices like ginger, cinnamon, cayenne, and others I never would have thought of using together. The recipe said to serve over rice, but I skipped that part. I'm really getting into eating beans, and this was a good way to get plenty without feeling meat-deprived !
  • msallymae
    msallymae Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    i have made an amazing surf and turf before :)

thats what i want to buy next is a skillet/grill pan thing. to cook meat.

last night i made an all organic whole roasted chicken for the first time infused w/ some garlic, lemon and fresh thyme.

i made roasted green beans w/ crazy janes mixed up salt and pepper. and garlic, a little bit of olive oil. and some mini golden potatoes for him.

lastly a mixed greens salad w/ sliced honey crisp apples, home toasted walnuts, a little crumbled blue cheese and a fat free cranberry balsamic vinaigrette.

:)
  • jjs22
    jjs22 Posts: 156
    Options

thats what i want to buy next is a skillet/grill pan thing. to cook meat.

Be sure to get a cast iron one. Lots of them are made of thin sheet metal with a non-stick coating. Don't bother with those ! You want something fairly heavy that can soak up and hold lots of heat. The non-stick ones tend to peel if you use them at high heat.

The one I got is made by Lodge. WallyWorld had it for around $18, IIRC. I think Le Creuset might make an enamel-coated one for $$$. Also, there are flat ones that you can turn over and use as a pancake griddle and there are skillet-style ones with edges and a handle. I like the skillet style better. You can use one of those anti-splatter screens with them. I'm still learning how to use mine, and, yeah, sometimes there are splatter and/or smoke issues.

Good luck.

And if this dude turns out to be a loser, send me a PM. I love good food !
  • rjvt006
    rjvt006 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    bump