Should I stay at a deficit until upcoming vacation?

I recently reached my goal weight. I feel more than ready (mentally) to start adding back calories until I reach maintenance. However, I’m going on vacation in a few weeks, and I’m wondering if it would be best to stay at a deficit. One thing to keep in mind, I am petite and older, so I stay at 1,200 calories even with quite a bit of activity, to lose. That isn’t easy, and I’m weary of being hungry a lot. So, those who have been maintaining awhile, what would you do in my position? TIA

Replies

• Jubee13
    Jubee13 Posts: 132 Member
    SnifterPug wrote: »
    I'd start cautiously adding back. If you get any weird fluctuations you can mentally (and physically) deal with them rather than all hell breaking loose on your vacation when you will want to have some treats, I'm sure.

You’re right. I can definitely see that happening!
  • mylittlerainbow
    mylittlerainbow Posts: 822 Member
    I'm also petite and older, and I find that I can maintain on just short of 1400 calories per day. Makes a difference!

As for your original question, I agree with maintaining a deficit until you go on vacation so that you won't worry as much about any overindulging. I have done that before two trips now - got a cushion of 2-3 pounds below the bottom of my range in each case and was grateful I'd done that. So much of the food was not my usual and not as easily estimated/logged, so I didn't feel as accountable and it was a comfort to know I had prepared.
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    sijomial wrote: »
    "That isn’t easy, and I’m weary of being hungry a lot. "

That one sentence suggests you should continue to add calories to find your maintenance level.
    You might get a pleasant surprise that you can maintain on a higher level than the simple maths of your recent weight loss may suggest.

I agree with this. I would also add, if there is a chance that you will go into a surplus, I would be remiss if I did not recommend a progressive overload strength training. That way, there will be better nutrient partitioning of those excess calories. Fun note, resistance training appears to boost "metabolism". will provide reff if required.
  • Beverly2Hansen
    Beverly2Hansen Posts: 378 Member
    If it was me I'd stay on the deficit only because when I went to Vagas in 2017 I was unable to log my food. Let's just say I ate like it was a feast and got drunk as a skunk for 5days. I regret nothing but I would've done better losing 5lbs before putting it back on. There's really no wrong answer here. Adding back and waiting are both very acceptable decisions.
  • richardgavel
    richardgavel Posts: 1,001 Member
    I would say it's reasonable to try and eat at maintenance on a vacation. The one catch is do you feel confident that you will be able to go back to deficit once you get back.
  • mylittlerainbow
    mylittlerainbow Posts: 822 Member
    I am so curious! You have to come back and tell us. Have you had your vacation by now? Was it lovely and you were relaxed about your eating? Where are you at now with your weight?
  • Jubee13
    Jubee13 Posts: 132 Member
    I am so curious! You have to come back and tell us. Have you had your vacation by now? Was it lovely and you were relaxed about your eating? Where are you at now with your weight?

Thank you for asking! It was great! Looking back, I think I was a little too restrictive, but I still had a few treats! Just trying to find that “balance”!