Muscle Pains, weight training...

Options
I NEED UR OPINIONS PLEASE:
I have been weight training in the gym for an average of 30-40 minutes everyday, 3-4 times a week for about a month and a half now... I have not been lifting too much weight on my training because I don't want to over do it... I lift from 5-10kg for my arms, 20-25 kg for my torso and about 30kg...

So since I thought I have a bit of muscle on my body, I was wondering why my body muscles ached so much when I played badminton for about 2-4 hours; not straight though, I played intervals of competitive games and just general social game and of course I also rested for about 30 mins in each game...

And the next day, I was shocked how my whole body ached! it's been two days since my body is aching...

Does this mean that my weight training are all for nothing or it's just that I played harder and longer than I use to play?

'coz I am thinking of altering my weight training by adding more kg to the weights or should I just stick to my normal weights and just make my reps higher? coz I heard somewhere that if you want to be lean, do more reps if you want to have big muscles do less reps but heavier weights... >_<

Replies

• russelljclarke
    russelljclarke Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem - my back's KILLING me!
  • patriciaachish
    patriciaachish Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    *30kg for weight traning on legs

*I don't want to have big muscles but just be lean
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    All this means is badminton works either different muscles, or works the same muscles differently.

I workout all the time, but when I change up my routine and do different exercises for the same body parts my muscles are sore for a couple of days.

I would suggest that if your strength training seems easy, is to increase the weight your are doing to where you cannot do more than 12 reps with good form. If you can do more, up the weight.
  • erickirb
    Options
    *30kg for weight traning on legs

*I don't want to have big muscles but just be lean

You will not get big muscles from lifting weights, unless you are a genetic freak, are eating a large caloric surplus (trying to gain weight), or are taking performance enhancing drugs (steroids) otherwise as a woman you will not bulk up, no matter how heavy you lift.
  • patriciaachish
    Options
    Thanks erick! that was really helpful! ^_^
  • GymRatRaceRunner
    GymRatRaceRunner Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Eat a high protein meal within 30 minutes of completing your weight training. Protein is used by your muscles to repair what you broke down. If you eat at least 6g of protein, you'll have quicker muscle recovery. I train with heavy weight and a high number of sets and reps and I pretty much destroy myself, but I take in 10g or more of protein when I'm done and when I wake up the next morning, I have very little (if any) muscle pain.

Also, if you go to the gym every day, don't work the same muscle groups every day. If you work on your core one day, do legs the next to give your muscles time to recover.
  • bettertracie
    bettertracie Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Also the time you spent resting in between rounds of badmiton sent your body into rest then you sprang back at it, giving your body a little interval training, can this concept to the gym with you and oh my!! look at the results then... you're doing great just keep it up!
  • patriciaachish
    Options
    Also, if you go to the gym every day, don't work the same muscle groups every day. If you work on your core one day, do legs the next to give your muscles time to recover.

When I go to the gym, I use the same equipments and do the same reps and weights but sometimes I do more reps... Also, does using the equipments in a random order everyday helps my body not go into plateau?
  • erickirb
    Options

When I go to the gym, I use the same equipments and do the same reps and weights but sometimes I do more reps... Also, does using the equipments in a random order everyday helps my body not go into plateau?

Her advise to you was good, don't work the same muscle group each day, your muscles do their repairing and growth during recovery, not during the workout. Working the same muscles back to back will cause more harm than good
  • patriciaachish
    Options
    and also, I don't 'destroy' myself while weight training so I use legs, arms and torso equipments everyday... >_< am I doing it right? 'coz I am concentrating more on cardio rather than weight training... I am just doing it just to balance my work out and gain a bit of muscle to help raise my metabolism...
  • patriciaachish
    Options

Her advise to you was good, don't work the same muscle group each day, your muscles do their repairing and growth during recovery, not during the workout. Working the same muscles back to back will cause more harm than good

I don't go to the gym every day so I also have rest days if not in between them... like some weeks I go to the gym 3 days in a row and rest for 4 days straight but some weeks I go to the gym like Mon, Wed, Fri and have some rest days in between... does that help with muscle recovery even if I use the same equipments every gym session?
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,708 Member
    Options
    I NEED UR OPINIONS PLEASE:
    I have been weight training in the gym for an average of 30-40 minutes everyday, 3-4 times a week for about a month and a half now... I have not been lifting too much weight on my training because I don't want to over do it... I lift from 5-10kg for my arms, 20-25 kg for my torso and about 30kg...

So since I thought I have a bit of muscle on my body, I was wondering why my body muscles ached so much when I played badminton for about 2-4 hours; not straight though, I played intervals of competitive games and just general social game and of course I also rested for about 30 mins in each game...

And the next day, I was shocked how my whole body ached! it's been two days since my body is aching...

Does this mean that my weight training are all for nothing or it's just that I played harder and longer than I use to play?

'coz I am thinking of altering my weight training by adding more kg to the weights or should I just stick to my normal weights and just make my reps higher? coz I heard somewhere that if you want to be lean, do more reps if you want to have big muscles do less reps but heavier weights... >_<
    Because your body wasn't conditioned to play. Even the best gym rats gets sore running sprints or playing golf if it's not a regular activity in their lifestyle.
  • patriciaachish
    Options
    [/quote]Because your body wasn't conditioned to play. Even the best gym rats gets sore running sprints or playing golf if it's not a regular activity in their lifestyle.
    [/quote]

you're right... >_<
  • ansonrinesmith
    ansonrinesmith Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    Mix up the rep count and weight every few weeks.
    If you are currently doing 20 reps at 20kg, dry doing 10 reps at 40kg and do them much slower OR do 40 reps at 10kg and do them much faster. Switching it up like this will also keep muscle memory from taking over and be more effective.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    It's called "specificity of training".