Myfitnesspal

Message Boards General Health, Fitness and Diet
You are currently viewing the message boards in:

Weight loss with out muscle gain

sultank101sultank101 Member Posts: 64 Member Member Posts: 64 Member
Hey guys. I'm 94 kg . I'm 174 cm tall. I wanna lose weight . I don't want to build muscle ..but I also know I can lose muscle if I just aim for weight loss and no weight training with protein etc. I want to just eat whatever I want within 1800 calories (1800 because I chose 0.5 kg to lose weekly on the app .) My main goal is one kg to be lost a week . I will walk 10000 steps daily to burn 500 daily . So this will amount to 1 kg a week hopefully .the reason I don't want to build muscle is because it's too complicated and am not disciplined enough . Is what I'm doing wrong ?if I plan to build muscle after losing weight . And also since I won't be building muscle ,how much protein would I need if I just want to keep my muscle during my weight loss journey

Replies

  • ninerbuffninerbuff Member, Greeter Posts: 45,672 Member Member, Greeter Posts: 45,672 Member
    Whether male or female, if you just lift with a very modest resistance on every exercise, YOU WON'T build any muscle. As for protein, if you're consuming .8 x your weight (to ge grams of protein), that should be sufficient to keep it essential.


    A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

    9285851.png
  • sultank101sultank101 Member Posts: 64 Member Member Posts: 64 Member
    So 0.8 x my weight in Kg to just maintain my muscle right?since I'm following a eat whatever you want as long as you're in a deficit
  • Theoldguy1Theoldguy1 Member Posts: 2,112 Member Member Posts: 2,112 Member
    sultank101 wrote: »
    So 0.8 x my weight in Kg to just maintain my muscle right?since I'm following a eat whatever you want as long as you're in a deficit

    .8 x weight in pounds.
  • springlering62springlering62 Member, Premium Posts: 3,897 Member Member, Premium Posts: 3,897 Member
    I’m confused. In your other thread you discuss wanting to gain muscle but that the workouts you’re doing are too taxing?

    It sounds like you’re floundering a bit and don’t know where to start, so are diving in too deep and getting discouraged right off the bat.

    No harm there. We all dog paddled this weight loss thing at the beginning.

    Can anyone recommend him some good resources?
  • sultank101sultank101 Member Posts: 64 Member Member Posts: 64 Member
    I’m confused. In your other thread you discuss wanting to gain muscle but that the workouts you’re doing are too taxing?

    It sounds like you’re floundering a bit and don’t know where to start, so are diving in too deep and getting discouraged right off the bat.

    No harm there. We all dog paddled this weight loss thing at the beginning.

    Can anyone recommend him some good resources?

    Maybe it's tiring because I'm obese and get out of breath quick?or is it because I don't know what I'm doing ..
  • Beverly2HansenBeverly2Hansen Member Posts: 366 Member Member Posts: 366 Member
    It's okay to start slow and pick up steam as you build stamina. I started my fitness journey after pelvic surgery and was not able to do squats lunges ect. I was to muscle atrophied and to overweight. I built my stamina first with walking and swimming because they create a reasonable deficit and were doable forms of exercise. I wish more people spoke about starting off to weak to go hard because many have done just that. Even now that I can walk 8 miles in a day I have days were I'm tired and feel like my exercise is half hearted. I'm still lapping the old me who never started. After walking and swimming for 6 months you will dramatically improve stamina. Sometimes you just have to focus on moving. I had to start walking at half a block so I could make it home cold sweating feeling half dead 1 block round trip. You wouldn't know that now but when obese people look at me bouncing through my walk with clear resentment which happens about once a week I just ignore it because I started struggling to walk 1 block. It took time hard work and persistence. I absolutly think you could build muscle but depending on where you're starting from you might need short term and long term goals. Also keep in mind it takes muscle to move a big frame. If you maintain the muscle you have you'd probably have more muscles than you're imagining. See 30lbs is heavy IMO if you're moving even 1 extra 30lbs you're moving a solid amount. That's why joints feel better when you go down 30lbs for most people it's a true load off so say you lose 30lbs in a year that's a lot less resistance for every step you take. Don't get discouraged you've started your journey and you're doing great. You're not horribly over weight and I think you should incorporate protein in your meals 3times a day I aim for 10-14 grams of protein per meal and it reduces my appetite. I think it's easier to eat enough protein than it is to eat enough veggies. For example: 2 slices of lunch meat can be 12g protein, a 90cal can of tuna is usually 20g protein, eggs are a great source and so are protein shakes and bars. Unless you're vegan most people eat more protein than they realize. I would chart your normal day and then start building from there.
  • kshama2001kshama2001 Member Posts: 25,087 Member Member Posts: 25,087 Member
    sultank101 wrote: »
    I’m confused. In your other thread you discuss wanting to gain muscle but that the workouts you’re doing are too taxing?

    It sounds like you’re floundering a bit and don’t know where to start, so are diving in too deep and getting discouraged right off the bat.

    No harm there. We all dog paddled this weight loss thing at the beginning.

    Can anyone recommend him some good resources?

    Maybe it's tiring because I'm obese and get out of breath quick?or is it because I don't know what I'm doing ..

    Please post links of these videos you are doing. For you to be tired after 20 minutes using 4 K dumb bells, something is wrong, and right now I'm thinking the videos are combining cardio and/or doing reps ridiculously fast.

    If it's not the videos, there could be something medically going on with you, and I'd like to rule the videos out first. I'm shorter than you, have weighed more than you, am presumably older than you, am female, and a REGULAR 20 minute weight lifting session is literally no sweat for me.
    edited June 1
  • springlering62springlering62 Member, Premium Posts: 3,897 Member Member, Premium Posts: 3,897 Member
    It's okay to start slow and pick up steam as you build stamina. I started my fitness journey after pelvic surgery and was not able to do squats lunges ect. I was to muscle atrophied and to overweight. I built my stamina first with walking and swimming because they create a reasonable deficit and were doable forms of exercise. I wish more people spoke about starting off to weak to go hard because many have done just that. Even now that I can walk 8 miles in a day I have days were I'm tired and feel like my exercise is half hearted. I'm still lapping the old me who never started. After walking and swimming for 6 months you will dramatically improve stamina. Sometimes you just have to focus on moving. I had to start walking at half a block so I could make it home cold sweating feeling half dead 1 block round trip. You wouldn't know that now but when obese people look at me bouncing through my walk with clear resentment which happens about once a week I just ignore it because I started struggling to walk 1 block. It took time hard work and persistence. I absolutly think you could build muscle but depending on where you're starting from you might need short term and long term goals. Also keep in mind it takes muscle to move a big frame. If you maintain the muscle you have you'd probably have more muscles than you're imagining. See 30lbs is heavy IMO if you're moving even 1 extra 30lbs you're moving a solid amount. That's why joints feel better when you go down 30lbs for most people it's a true load off so say you lose 30lbs in a year that's a lot less resistance for every step you take. Don't get discouraged you've started your journey and you're doing great. You're not horribly over weight and I think you should incorporate protein in your meals 3times a day I aim for 10-14 grams of protein per meal and it reduces my appetite. I think it's easier to eat enough protein than it is to eat enough veggies. For example: 2 slices of lunch meat can be 12g protein, a 90cal can of tuna is usually 20g protein, eggs are a great source and so are protein shakes and bars. Unless you're vegan most people eat more protein than they realize. I would chart your normal day and then start building from there.

    This is very insightful. And I'm stealing part of it to start a new thread.
  • sultank101sultank101 Member Posts: 64 Member Member Posts: 64 Member
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    sultank101 wrote: »
    I’m confused. In your other thread you discuss wanting to gain muscle but that the workouts you’re doing are too taxing?

    It sounds like you’re floundering a bit and don’t know where to start, so are diving in too deep and getting discouraged right off the bat.

    No harm there. We all dog paddled this weight loss thing at the beginning.

    Can anyone recommend him some good resources?

    Maybe it's tiring because I'm obese and get out of breath quick?or is it because I don't know what I'm doing ..

    Please post links of these videos you are doing. For you to be tired after 20 minutes using 4 K dumb bells, something is wrong, and right now I'm thinking the videos are combining cardio and/or doing reps ridiculously fast.

    If it's not the videos, there could be something medically going on with you, and I'd like to rule the videos out first. I'm shorter than you, have weighed more than you, am presumably older than you, am female, and a REGULAR 20 minute weight lifting session is literally no sweat for me.

    It's just random full body workouts on YouTube ..like example.
    I followed this like three times and felt exhausted...I'm just really fat and I used to vape alot so my breathing is screwed .
  • sultank101sultank101 Member Posts: 64 Member Member Posts: 64 Member
    It's okay to start slow and pick up steam as you build stamina. I started my fitness journey after pelvic surgery and was not able to do squats lunges ect. I was to muscle atrophied and to overweight. I built my stamina first with walking and swimming because they create a reasonable deficit and were doable forms of exercise. I wish more people spoke about starting off to weak to go hard because many have done just that. Even now that I can walk 8 miles in a day I have days were I'm tired and feel like my exercise is half hearted. I'm still lapping the old me who never started. After walking and swimming for 6 months you will dramatically improve stamina. Sometimes you just have to focus on moving. I had to start walking at half a block so I could make it home cold sweating feeling half dead 1 block round trip. You wouldn't know that now but when obese people look at me bouncing through my walk with clear resentment which happens about once a week I just ignore it because I started struggling to walk 1 block. It took time hard work and persistence. I absolutly think you could build muscle but depending on where you're starting from you might need short term and long term goals. Also keep in mind it takes muscle to move a big frame. If you maintain the muscle you have you'd probably have more muscles than you're imagining. See 30lbs is heavy IMO if you're moving even 1 extra 30lbs you're moving a solid amount. That's why joints feel better when you go down 30lbs for most people it's a true load off so say you lose 30lbs in a year that's a lot less resistance for every step you take. Don't get discouraged you've started your journey and you're doing great. You're not horribly over weight and I think you should incorporate protein in your meals 3times a day I aim for 10-14 grams of protein per meal and it reduces my appetite. I think it's easier to eat enough protein than it is to eat enough veggies. For example: 2 slices of lunch meat can be 12g protein, a 90cal can of tuna is usually 20g protein, eggs are a great source and so are protein shakes and bars. Unless you're vegan most people eat more protein than they realize. I would chart your normal day and then start building from there.

    This is very insightful. And I'm stealing part of it to start a new thread.

    I understood everything you said. Basically start small. And now I kinda understand the stuff I have to do. It's just that last year I lost 17 kg . I was 90 and went to around 73 kg in the span of 6 months. I don't have any water weight to lose anymore too. And I gained all the weight back since I got too demotivated. However I'll follow what you said. I'll just start walking and later on I'll plan on muscle building etc. And also you didn't lose any muslce eating around 14 grams of protein every meal right? Because If I'm not gonna be lifting weights I won't be eating like 160 g of protein
    ..I just wanna eat 50 g which is enough to maintain
  • hiparihipari Member, Premium Posts: 1,270 Member Member, Premium Posts: 1,270 Member
    Water weight comes and goes. A kilo or two can come (or go) overnight.

    This is not to say you should expect fast water weight losses or be disappointed by a slower steadier pace. I’m simply correcting your statement ”I don’t have any water weight to lose anymore” and reminding you that even while losing weight, random water weight can still show up and stay for a few days, messing up your loss rates temporarily if you expect constant results.
  • kshama2001kshama2001 Member Posts: 25,087 Member Member Posts: 25,087 Member
    sultank101 wrote: »
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    sultank101 wrote: »
    I’m confused. In your other thread you discuss wanting to gain muscle but that the workouts you’re doing are too taxing?

    It sounds like you’re floundering a bit and don’t know where to start, so are diving in too deep and getting discouraged right off the bat.

    No harm there. We all dog paddled this weight loss thing at the beginning.

    Can anyone recommend him some good resources?

    Maybe it's tiring because I'm obese and get out of breath quick?or is it because I don't know what I'm doing ..

    Please post links of these videos you are doing. For you to be tired after 20 minutes using 4 K dumb bells, something is wrong, and right now I'm thinking the videos are combining cardio and/or doing reps ridiculously fast.

    If it's not the videos, there could be something medically going on with you, and I'd like to rule the videos out first. I'm shorter than you, have weighed more than you, am presumably older than you, am female, and a REGULAR 20 minute weight lifting session is literally no sweat for me.

    It's just random full body workouts on YouTube ..like example.
    I followed this like three times and felt exhausted...I'm just really fat and I used to vape alot so my breathing is screwed .

    Since that's not a follow along video but more of an intro video, it's probably not a good choice for someone new to strength training.

    When you say "I followed this like three times" - did you mean you did all the exercises three times in one session? And that took 20 minutes?

    Did you catch the instructions for the beginning of the first section - 5 rounds of 3 reps per exercise with 60-90 seconds of rest in between rounds?

    How are you timing your rest period? Not rushing the rest is very important - I use the timer on my watch or phone to make sure I rest the full amount.
  • kshama2001kshama2001 Member Posts: 25,087 Member Member Posts: 25,087 Member
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    sultank101 wrote: »
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    sultank101 wrote: »
    I’m confused. In your other thread you discuss wanting to gain muscle but that the workouts you’re doing are too taxing?

    It sounds like you’re floundering a bit and don’t know where to start, so are diving in too deep and getting discouraged right off the bat.

    No harm there. We all dog paddled this weight loss thing at the beginning.

    Can anyone recommend him some good resources?

    Maybe it's tiring because I'm obese and get out of breath quick?or is it because I don't know what I'm doing ..

    Please post links of these videos you are doing. For you to be tired after 20 minutes using 4 K dumb bells, something is wrong, and right now I'm thinking the videos are combining cardio and/or doing reps ridiculously fast.

    If it's not the videos, there could be something medically going on with you, and I'd like to rule the videos out first. I'm shorter than you, have weighed more than you, am presumably older than you, am female, and a REGULAR 20 minute weight lifting session is literally no sweat for me.

    It's just random full body workouts on YouTube ..like example.
    I followed this like three times and felt exhausted...I'm just really fat and I used to vape alot so my breathing is screwed .

    Since that's not a follow along video but more of an intro video, it's probably not a good choice for someone new to strength training.

    When you say "I followed this like three times" - did you mean you did all the exercises three times in one session? And that took 20 minutes?

    Did you catch the instructions for the beginning of the first section - 5 rounds of 3 reps per exercise with 60-90 seconds of rest in between rounds?

    How are you timing your rest period? Not rushing the rest is very important - I use the timer on my watch or phone to make sure I rest the full amount.

    Ok, I see the problem. This video has 4 sections:
    1. Power & Strength
    2. Hypertrophy
    3. Core
    4. Conditioning

    Power & Strength has three components:
    1. Dumbbell clean
    2. Push Press
    3. Front Squat

    For each of the exercises in the first section you are supposed to do 5 rounds with 3 reps per round, with 60-90 seconds of rest in between rounds.

    As I always do with a new workout, I used light weights, and so only 60 seconds of rest.

    THE FIRST SECTION ALONE took me 22 minutes.

    It sounds like to get to 20 minutes, you followed this 7 minute video 3 times. However, this is NOT a follow along video. In the first section, he only shows each of the three exercises once, and does not rest in between. As stated above, you are supposed to do 5 rounds with 3 reps per round, with 60-90 seconds of rest in between rounds.

    Here's the same workout, with more details:

    https://www.bodybuilding.com/content/the-ultimate-full-body-dumbbell-workout.html
  • kam3190kam3190 Member Posts: 157 Member Member Posts: 157 Member
    sultank101 wrote: »
    It's okay to start slow and pick up steam as you build stamina. I started my fitness journey after pelvic surgery and was not able to do squats lunges ect. I was to muscle atrophied and to overweight. I built my stamina first with walking and swimming because they create a reasonable deficit and were doable forms of exercise. I wish more people spoke about starting off to weak to go hard because many have done just that. Even now that I can walk 8 miles in a day I have days were I'm tired and feel like my exercise is half hearted. I'm still lapping the old me who never started. After walking and swimming for 6 months you will dramatically improve stamina. Sometimes you just have to focus on moving. I had to start walking at half a block so I could make it home cold sweating feeling half dead 1 block round trip. You wouldn't know that now but when obese people look at me bouncing through my walk with clear resentment which happens about once a week I just ignore it because I started struggling to walk 1 block. It took time hard work and persistence. I absolutly think you could build muscle but depending on where you're starting from you might need short term and long term goals. Also keep in mind it takes muscle to move a big frame. If you maintain the muscle you have you'd probably have more muscles than you're imagining. See 30lbs is heavy IMO if you're moving even 1 extra 30lbs you're moving a solid amount. That's why joints feel better when you go down 30lbs for most people it's a true load off so say you lose 30lbs in a year that's a lot less resistance for every step you take. Don't get discouraged you've started your journey and you're doing great. You're not horribly over weight and I think you should incorporate protein in your meals 3times a day I aim for 10-14 grams of protein per meal and it reduces my appetite. I think it's easier to eat enough protein than it is to eat enough veggies. For example: 2 slices of lunch meat can be 12g protein, a 90cal can of tuna is usually 20g protein, eggs are a great source and so are protein shakes and bars. Unless you're vegan most people eat more protein than they realize. I would chart your normal day and then start building from there.

    This is very insightful. And I'm stealing part of it to start a new thread.

    I understood everything you said. Basically start small. And now I kinda understand the stuff I have to do. It's just that last year I lost 17 kg . I was 90 and went to around 73 kg in the span of 6 months. I don't have any water weight to lose anymore too. And I gained all the weight back since I got too demotivated. However I'll follow what you said. I'll just start walking and later on I'll plan on muscle building etc. And also you didn't lose any muslce eating around 14 grams of protein every meal right? Because If I'm not gonna be lifting weights I won't be eating like 160 g of protein
    ..I just wanna eat 50 g which is enough to maintain

    you say you lost 17 kg in 6 months. That is 17kg in 26 weeks. Sou that is roughly .75 kg per week. So its unrealistic and unlikely that you will lose 1kg per week. You cant punish yourself for gaining that weight back. You have to just climb back on the wagon and start. Trying to makeup for it will just lead to disordered eating.
  • sultank101sultank101 Member Posts: 64 Member Member Posts: 64 Member
    kam3190 wrote: »
    sultank101 wrote: »
    It's okay to start slow and pick up steam as you build stamina. I started my fitness journey after pelvic surgery and was not able to do squats lunges ect. I was to muscle atrophied and to overweight. I built my stamina first with walking and swimming because they create a reasonable deficit and were doable forms of exercise. I wish more people spoke about starting off to weak to go hard because many have done just that. Even now that I can walk 8 miles in a day I have days were I'm tired and feel like my exercise is half hearted. I'm still lapping the old me who never started. After walking and swimming for 6 months you will dramatically improve stamina. Sometimes you just have to focus on moving. I had to start walking at half a block so I could make it home cold sweating feeling half dead 1 block round trip. You wouldn't know that now but when obese people look at me bouncing through my walk with clear resentment which happens about once a week I just ignore it because I started struggling to walk 1 block. It took time hard work and persistence. I absolutly think you could build muscle but depending on where you're starting from you might need short term and long term goals. Also keep in mind it takes muscle to move a big frame. If you maintain the muscle you have you'd probably have more muscles than you're imagining. See 30lbs is heavy IMO if you're moving even 1 extra 30lbs you're moving a solid amount. That's why joints feel better when you go down 30lbs for most people it's a true load off so say you lose 30lbs in a year that's a lot less resistance for every step you take. Don't get discouraged you've started your journey and you're doing great. You're not horribly over weight and I think you should incorporate protein in your meals 3times a day I aim for 10-14 grams of protein per meal and it reduces my appetite. I think it's easier to eat enough protein than it is to eat enough veggies. For example: 2 slices of lunch meat can be 12g protein, a 90cal can of tuna is usually 20g protein, eggs are a great source and so are protein shakes and bars. Unless you're vegan most people eat more protein than they realize. I would chart your normal day and then start building from there.

    This is very insightful. And I'm stealing part of it to start a new thread.

    I understood everything you said. Basically start small. And now I kinda understand the stuff I have to do. It's just that last year I lost 17 kg . I was 90 and went to around 73 kg in the span of 6 months. I don't have any water weight to lose anymore too. And I gained all the weight back since I got too demotivated. However I'll follow what you said. I'll just start walking and later on I'll plan on muscle building etc. And also you didn't lose any muslce eating around 14 grams of protein every meal right? Because If I'm not gonna be lifting weights I won't be eating like 160 g of protein
    ..I just wanna eat 50 g which is enough to maintain

    you say you lost 17 kg in 6 months. That is 17kg in 26 weeks. Sou that is roughly .75 kg per week. So its unrealistic and unlikely that you will lose 1kg per week. You cant punish yourself for gaining that weight back. You have to just climb back on the wagon and start. Trying to makeup for it will just lead to disordered eating.

    So is that the reason my weight loss is only around a kg per week in the first month ?because in the first month of my weight loss journey last year I lost around 6 to 7 kg and now it's slow. What's the reason
  • LietchiLietchi Member Posts: 2,870 Member Member Posts: 2,870 Member
    There could be many reasons.

    Quick weight loss the first few weeks is often due to losing water weight from reduced carb intake and reduced food waste in your system from reducing your food intake. So perhaps the difference in food intake and/or carbs is less big this time than last time.

    As we've told you in your latest thread, 1kg per week is not 'only' anything, it's fast!
Sign In or Register to comment.