Glasses Wearers Please Help!!

If I dont wear them I can't see :p ... espc if im doing a class I cant follow the instructor or use the mirrors to check my form etc :'( .... But if I wear them they steam up / slip down etc. and I still cant see!! :D Haha.

Any top tips? Thanks

Replies

• tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,129 Member
    One of the girls I row with had this issue since we had to wear masks, she said she uses an anti-fog spray/wipes that reduce the steaminess. I am not a glasses wearer myself (except sunnies) but I think you can get nose pads that help a bit with grip.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    I got plastic frames and made sure they fitted them to my head, up to the point where I was thrashing my head around in the shop to make sure they stayed in place. You feel like a dork, but it's worth it. If they need adjustment, most places will adjust them for free for the life of your glasses.

I don't have the problem with steaming, so I hope someone else can help with that.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,974 Member
    I am blind as a bat w/o glasses.

Soft contacts are what I wear during the day for all activities. I only wear glasses at home at night when I take the soft contacts out.

Lasik surgery is also an option.

I looked into that as well but for a variety of reasons decided that it was not right for me, since soft contacts worked so well for me but many ppl have reportedly undergone the surgery sucessfully.

So, you might want to look into that as well.
  • Onedaywriter
    Onedaywriter Posts: 324 Member
    I have a few pairs of eyeglasses. One is way better as far as steaming. It has no frame on bottom and there is more space between my face and the glass. The others steam up instantly. They are also aweful for running because the sweat pours under and can’t drain. Try to get frames that leave a lot of distance between your upper cheeks and the frame. Not perfect but better.
  • SabAteNine
    SabAteNine Posts: 1,866 Member
    I've been wearing glasses for a long time, and absolutely need them. There is simply no way to be able to furiously touch toes and jump around without them flying, makeshift wedges at the hinge or not.

Running is also ruined about 10 minutes in when they really start to slip. The only reliable solution for me are disposable (daily) soft contacts. Pop a pair in when I run or exercise out of the comfort of my home... the latter hasn't happened in a year and a half though. When I'm at home I go without and hope for the best :smile:
  • SnifterPug
    SnifterPug Posts: 746 Member
    My glasses rarely steam up unless I'm lying on my back. Then I am rendered blind for ages! I wear similar frames to those in the picture of SabAteNine above. They slip a little but don't generally fall off - though they did drop off my face during a plank the other day and still my trainer made me continue holding...

The only time they are a real issue is for boxing pad work or swimming - I use daily disposable contact lenses.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Used to wear glasses for squash - sports elastic strap that attaches to the arms of the spectacles to hold them in place, anti-fog spray (available from motorcycle shops etc.) plus a toweling headband to try and keep the sweat off the lenses and also for a passable impression of a youthful John McEnroe.

But in the end disposable contact lenses were better.
  • 33gail33
    33gail33 Posts: 1,155 Member
    edited June 2021
    I recently order silicone eyeglass holders = they slip over the end of your glasses arm and hook behind your ear. It makes it a bit of a pain to put your glasses on, but it stops them from slipping, but doesn't do anything for steaming up. I got them from Amazon.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,935 Member
    I can't speak to the steaming problem, but the anti-fog solutions are a possibility.

I use a strap to keep my glasses on my face in circumstances where I'm especially concerned about dislodging them, either because of vigorous movement or when someplace where loss could be disastrous (like on-water rowing). It looks dorky. I don't care.

There are various styles of straps available, and your choice of type might affect comfort, or likelihood of steaming (some are tighter than others). They're IME all pretty inexpensive, though, so it's not a pricey experiment.

I got prescription goggles for swimming (don't need to keep them up-to-date with every prescription change, for them to stay good enough). No way I'm getting contacts (no, not because I'm squeamish about touching my eyes).
  • girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,257 Member
    I had to give up wearing my glasses, and I had been wearing them almost exclusively. I can't fix the fogging issue. It just won't go away. I am now in multifocal contacts and wear my glasses if I am not leaving my house and know that I won't need a mask for an extended period of time. It's basically changed my life. Can you get contacts for working out and just take them out and wear glasses otherwise? The suggestion from an optician that I got when I bought sunglasses last month, was to buy something with nosepads rather than all around plastic frames since they lift the lenses up a little. Meh. Sort of. It didn't solve it, especially if I'm breathing hard.
  • Magic_Chicken
    Magic_Chicken Posts: 141 Member
    Thanks for all the tips. Im gonna have a look for some anti fog wipes/spray. I have considered contacts but I don't think I would be able to put them in haha.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Thanks for all the tips. Im gonna have a look for some anti fog wipes/spray. I have considered contacts but I don't think I would be able to put them in haha.

In the meantime you can get a similar effect with detergent.
    Put a drop of washing up liquid (or shampoo...) on finger and thumb and smear over the lenses, then polish off with a suitable soft cloth. Not quite as effective as the sprays but it's dirt cheap!
  • _nikkiwolf_
    _nikkiwolf_ Posts: 1,380 Member
    What helps to a degree against fogging up is also shaving foam. No kidding - put a thin layer on the glasses, wipe it off again with a paper towel, but don't clean with water or anything.
    I can't judge how well it compares to proper anti-fog spray. I've worn contacts for years and never had to worry about my glasses, but in the last 1.5 years I've sometimes been lazy on days I'm working from home and just walked around with glasses. And got reminded why I prefer contacts when it comes to exercising or entering buildings after being out in the cold or opening the oven to check on dinner or ... B)
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,377 Member
    Same problem here, and my face is assymetric. I need to wear sunglasses when outside that are corrective. Due to having a slim face I spent ages trying to find sunglasses that are the right size (ever had sun shine behind the glasses or glasses sitting on the cheekbones?), curved as I need light protection, useful for sporting and are not neon green but kind of neutral. The only pair I found can't be properly adjusted at the hinges, and thus one glass always steams up because it's fairly close to my face. Sucks. Never found a proper solution.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,481 Member
    Get anti fog wipes.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,387 Member
    I do a lot of heated mat classes. Fog not an issue, but runny vision blurring sweat is.

I keep an extra thick double sided microfiber cloth handy. The grey side is for wiping sweat. The colored side is for wiping glasses. It’s easy to see the colors and grab for a quick wipe. Because I’m also really anal, I’ll wipe sweat on the corner with the tag, leaving the opposite corner “clean” in case I get that sweaty that I get both sides wet.

I also slip my glasses off completely for nose-to-the-mat poses like child’s pose, Universal Yoga style shoulder rotations, or stomach series in Pilates.

Ironically, one of my favorite yoga classes ever was done blindfolded, but outside of that, I couldn’t even fathom doing a class without glasses or contacts.