My journey begins here

So alot of people have been telling me to think about what exactly I want to do . I thought carefully and decided I'll be losing weight by just following a calorie deficit and 10k steps daily. I weigh 94 kg and I am 174 cm tall. Male. I realized that I kept failing before because I never had a fixed plan. Thank you all for the great advice. I hope I reach my goal weight of 65 by March next year or earlier. I want to lose atleast a kg a week. I eat around 1860 calories a day. God bless

Replies

• JanelleG0122
    JanelleG0122 Posts: 323 Member
    The first time I did mfp I lost 75 lbs with just a calorie deficit, so it is definitely possible. Just make sure you are accurately tracking your calories in vs out. Best of luck to you!
  • sultank101
    sultank101 Posts: 87 Member
    edited June 2021
    The first time I did mfp I lost 75 lbs with just a calorie deficit, so it is definitely possible. Just make sure you are accurately tracking your calories in vs out. Best of luck to you!
    So you just followed a deficit without weight training and having alot of protein etc?and what did you do for exercise
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    FYI - high protein intake isn't only useful for people who exercise a lot, it's also very beneficial for people dieting, especially trying to lose weight fast.
  • work_again
    work_again Posts: 125 Member
    sultank101 wrote: »
    So you just followed a deficit without weight training and having alot of protein etc?and what did you do for exercise

@firecutie18 is right. The first time I MFP'd i lost over 40 pounds before I even started noticing maybe macros would make a difference. Eat less than you burn... that's the start!

That being said... @sijomial is also right. Eating certain foods "stay with you" longer and help curb appetite and all. I would suggest tackling that once you get some momentum.

Good luck! Let's do this!
  • hipari
    hipari Posts: 1,367 Member
    I'm really glad to hear you stopped to think and simplified things. However, I do want to caution you: "at least a kg a week" is a bit steep. It may or may not happen, and losing at a fast pace might cause unnecessary muscle loss. It might work in the beginning, but can get tricky once you lose some weight. This is not to say your plan is unrealistic, just that expecting weight loss to happen every week like that might be setting yourself up for frustration and failure.

I'm 173cm, currently 100+kg currently pregnant and female. I've previously lost weight with a similar calorie deficit based plan and similar stats (except gender), and found I usually lost 400-800 grams per week. Everyone is unique, just wanted to caution and remind you that slow and steady wins the race and your body may or may not be the type that succeeds losing at least 1kg per week.

(To others running to comment, yes, I know all weight loss plans are calorie deficit based in the end, but the point is I never tried to do a specific diet, exercise program etc.)
  • bubus05
    bubus05 Posts: 121 Member
    Good luck! The irony when I read this...I was a nice round 130 kg-could hardly breath- a year ago with a height of 174 cm, and my target weight was 90 kg. I got there a few days ago, and the funny thing is my target weight is still considered obese according to most sites on the net that I found. With this height TBH I would be reluctant to push for anything less than 85 kg so if I am still obese, even 85 is overweight, so be it. 65 kg is for me is big NO NO NO, I mean you still need some muscles right...? 94 kg doesnt sound too bad IMHO, unless you want to change your body shape, but that will require exercise, gym. Anyway each to their own...I am looking forward to seeing how you progress.

I find these weight standards weird when it comes to what is and what is not considered obese or overweight. At 90 kg with 174 cm i feel just fine, if I go to 85 that will be ok too, but anything under that and I would be worried.
  • sultank101
    @sultank101 I’ve read a few of your posts and I get the impression you might be feeling a bit overwhelmed by all the info on here (apologies if that isn’t the case). If you want to lose weight, then all you need is “simply” a calorie deficit. I say “simply” because you need to accurately track your food, use a food scale for every morsel and record every single thing you eat. By eating in a deficit you will lose weight.

Exercise is not necessary for weight loss. It can help, by helping you to burn more calories but you can be totally sedentary and still lose weight. Exercise is however great for you physically and mentally, and walking is brilliant. 10,000 steps may still be a bit much for you if you’re not used to walking, so maybe start with 5,000 and build up from there.

A high protein intake is also not necessary for weight loss. You can eat Mars Bars all day long and still lose weight - as long as you’re in a deficit. But protein and a balanced diet is good for you, and higher protein helps to preserve muscle during a cut. Protein can also be filling for some people whereas others like higher carb or fat - you can experiment and find out what fills you up more over time.

Weight training is not necessary to lose weight. It is important for muscle and bone health, and I would personally recommend it, but if you find it too hard at the moment then starting with walking is a great beginning. Walking is actually weight bearing, and will help your bones even without touching a weight.

Finally there is tonnes of info on here, and online, and it can feel overwhelming. The key here is to set yourself a sustainable weight loss limit, don’t go too hard too fast otherwise it will be much harder to keep it up. Every pound you lose is a huge success and every step is the same.

I hope this helps a little bit!

Thanks !I'll start off with a deficit . I'm getting too paranoid and thinking alot rather than just starting
  • claireychn074
    claireychn074 Posts: 1,324 Member
    @sultank101 honestly, you’ve already started and it’s working. You’re posting quite a few threads with the same concerns and yet you have already lost weight! Remember that this is a marathon not a sprint. Your rate of loss is individual to you and it sounds to me like you’ve made a great start. Maybe just take a step back and look at what you’ve already achieved. You’ve got over the starting hurdle (often the most difficult) and you’ve ALREADY lost 4kg in just ONE month. That’s no mean feat. So you now just need to relax, find your rhythm and mojo and realise that consistent behaviour will give you the longer-term results you want. Don’t sabotage your success so far by comparing yourself to others - or even what you’ve done before. Baby steps win the race!
  • sultank101
    @sultank101 honestly, you’ve already started and it’s working. You’re posting quite a few threads with the same concerns and yet you have already lost weight! Remember that this is a marathon not a sprint. Your rate of loss is individual to you and it sounds to me like you’ve made a great start. Maybe just take a step back and look at what you’ve already achieved. You’ve got over the starting hurdle (often the most difficult) and you’ve ALREADY lost 4kg in just ONE month. That’s no mean feat. So you now just need to relax, find your rhythm and mojo and realise that consistent behaviour will give you the longer-term results you want. Don’t sabotage your success so far by comparing yourself to others - or even what you’ve done before. Baby steps win the race!

Slow and steady!got it. Thanks alot for the wise words and motivation