Cutting down on sodium

batchofcookies1
batchofcookies1 Posts: 20 Member
How do I cut down on sodium? Any tips or recipes? I need some help ๐Ÿ˜Š

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,457 Member
    Do you have a family history of hypertension or high BP due to sodium?

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • batchofcookies1
    Do you have a family history of hypertension or high BP due to sodium?

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

Not that Iโ€™m aware of
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    If you look at your diary, you should be able to see where most of your sodium is coming from now. Some common higher sodium foods are condiments, pre-prepared foods like canned soups, some deli meats, and savory snacks. If you're preparing more of your own food, it's generally pretty easy to reduce sodium. If a recipe calls for higher salt, you can choose to add less . . . which of course isn't an option when you're eating something already prepared.
  • batchofcookies1
    If you look at your diary, you should be able to see where most of your sodium is coming from now. Some common higher sodium foods are condiments, pre-prepared foods like canned soups, some deli meats, and savory snacks. If you're preparing more of your own food, it's generally pretty easy to reduce sodium. If a recipe calls for higher salt, you can choose to add less . . . which of course isn't an option when you're eating something already prepared.

Thank you for your help! I like to have some savory snacks at night so maybe I should cut back on that haha
  • ljmorgi
    ljmorgi Posts: 264 Member
    Some breakfast cereals are ludicrously high in sodium; there's also a surprising range in bottled salad dressings. We like Kroger's house brand, but the red pepper vinaigrette is super salty.
  • batchofcookies1
    Some breakfast cereals are ludicrously high in sodium; there's also a surprising range in bottled salad dressings. We like Kroger's house brand, but the red pepper vinaigrette is super salty.

Good to know, thank you!
  • queanmum
    queanmum Posts: 28 Member
    I find that if I use lemon or lime with pepper on fish or chicken, I don't miss the salt. My favorite "un-salty" snack is 1 oz of plain popcorn microwaved "dry" in a brown paper lunch size sack. I put the popcorn in a plastic container, spray with 10 sprays I Can't Believe It's Not Butter Spray, and season with Mrs. Dash Table Blend. Shake it up.
  • batchofcookies1

Basically cooking with whole foods and/or minimally processed foods. Pre-packaged foods and ready to eat type of foods are typically high in sodium as it makes them more shelf stable...it's a preservative. Basically, if it's something that isn't going to go bad relatively quickly, it likely has a fair amount of sodium. Restaurant foods can also contribute significantly to sodium. For one, institutionalized franchise type restaurants don't really prepare "fresh"...most of the ingredients are institutionalized and have higher levels of sodium for better shelf life...basically the same prepackaged ready to heat and eat stuff you can buy at the store. I had to start watching my sodium due to hypertension and it was pretty wild having taken a break from fast food and other franchise restaurants and then going back...all I could taste was salt. When I eat out now, it's typically a local place that makes there stuff fresh from scratch and minimally processed ingredients (ie canned tomatoes and such)...still salty because they add more when cooking than I do at home, but it's not overwhelmingly so like at say...Applebee's or something.

Keep in mind that sodium is an important and necessary electrolyte. Cutting down too much can result in problems too. My biggest issue was that I had also started exercising when I started dieting and watching my sodium...I cut it too low, and was also sweating a lot out and started cramping up all of the time, so finding the right balance was important.

Thank you! This was really helpful!
  • ljmorgi
    ljmorgi Posts: 264 Member

Basically cooking with whole foods and/or minimally processed foods. Pre-packaged foods and ready to eat type of foods are typically high in sodium as it makes them more shelf stable...it's a preservative. Basically, if it's something that isn't going to go bad relatively quickly, it likely has a fair amount of sodium. Restaurant foods can also contribute significantly to sodium. For one, institutionalized franchise type restaurants don't really prepare "fresh"...most of the ingredients are institutionalized and have higher levels of sodium for better shelf life...basically the same prepackaged ready to heat and eat stuff you can buy at the store. I had to start watching my sodium due to hypertension and it was pretty wild having taken a break from fast food and other franchise restaurants and then going back...all I could taste was salt. When I eat out now, it's typically a local place that makes there stuff fresh from scratch and minimally processed ingredients (ie canned tomatoes and such)...still salty because they add more when cooking than I do at home, but it's not overwhelmingly so like at say...Applebee's or something.

Keep in mind that sodium is an important and necessary electrolyte. Cutting down too much can result in problems too. My biggest issue was that I had also started exercising when I started dieting and watching my sodium...I cut it too low, and was also sweating a lot out and started cramping up all of the time, so finding the right balance was important.

One of the restaurants we stopped eating at completely was Olive Garden because HOLY CRAP even the breadsticks were salty!
  • goal06082021
    goal06082021 Posts: 2,130 Member
    You do need some sodium in your diet - if you don't have a medical reason to restrict it, you're probably fine.
  • ldaltonbishop
    ldaltonbishop Posts: 95 Member
    Lunch meat/processed meat is wicked for sodium but I like my sandwiches. So I buy a pork loin and roast it without salt, slice it thin, and freeze small packets of five to seven slices for future meals. I like pork loin because I really miss ham and it's budget friendly on sale, but it also works with boneless skinless chicken breasts or thighs and beef eye of round slices beautifully. I season with either Trader Joe's 21-seasoning- salute or a salt-free poultry seasoning, or just pepper. Cook the pork or beef low and slow (slow cooker works, or roast in oven) and let cool completely before slicing. Chicken cooks faster; just do it the way you like. Do read the nutrition on the labels when purchasing. Some brands have higher sodium than others, and pre-seasoned meats are salty.
  • AshHeartsJesus
    AshHeartsJesus Posts: 460 Member
    If it is a big concern fresh is best too keep it low. Like others have said unless you are having bp problems or going over like 2000 plus. Just drink lots of water and remember if you eat aloooot and get on the scale the next day the water weight might be shocking.

LORD JESUS bless ๐ŸŒผ
  • MaggieGirl135
    MaggieGirl135 Posts: 975 Member
    Everyone here has given great replies! Watch pretty much all canned foods, soups, tomatoes, and beans included. Low sodium cans can be used on occasion, but I make my own beans in my Instant Pot (and rice, too, prepackaged rice packets are high in sodium, as well). Roasting and grilling add lots of flavor, too.
  • MargaretYakoda
    MargaretYakoda Posts: 2,123 Member
    A good low sodium option if you like instant ramen is this stuff. Happy Pho by Star Anise foods. Amazon has it. And many health food stores. Try your local grocery too.
    About $4.50 for two servings. Add some kipper or salmon, maybe shrimp, maybe fresh veggies? Quick, tasty, low sodium.

8x7tsl2eallb.jpeg
    cf4id3incv9j.jpeg
  • LeeH31
    LeeH31 Posts: 312 Member
    Cheese is high in sodium, be careful with deli meats too. Pepperoni and salami are WAY high. Ask me how I know :#