Burn

I eat 1350 calories how many calories do I burn

Replies

• goal06082021
    goal06082021 Posts: 2,130 Member
    There is no direct way to measure your TDEE (total daily energy expenditure, how many calories you burn in the course of a day). There are wearable devices (Apple watch, Fitbit, Garmin smartwatch, etc) that will estimate it based on a bunch of algorithms - typically you have to set up a profile associated with your device that includes your sex, height, weight, age, maybe other stats like body composition, and the device uses those values in combination with data from an onboard accelerometer and/or pulse meter to do a bunch of math and spit out a number. People way smarter than I am have developed these algorithms and the devices that use them, so on average they're probably okay in terms of accuracy, but there's plenty of folks here who have trouble with their Fitbits et al over/underestimating their calorie burns. The only real recourse you have if you have a wearable and the estimates it gives you are not accurate is to figure out how inaccurate they are and in what direction, and mentally compensate for that, as far as I'm aware. There's no way to "recalibrate" your device.

You can use a calculator like the one at tdeecalculator.net to estimate your TDEE; that particular calculator is more accurate if you know your bodyfat percentage, but it's still pretty close if you don't. It's important to note that MFP calculates your calorie budget using a different method than the TDEE calculator. TDEE includes purposeful exercise if you do that as part of your daily activities, but MFP's method does not. MFP's method is based on NEAT - non-exercise activity thermogenesis, how active you are day-to-day without counting the time you spend exercising on purpose. If you use MFP the way the site intends, if you do any purposeful exercise in a given day, you'll log that in your diary and eat back the "extra" calories you burned exercising, because MFP has already given you a calorie goal that factors in (1) your general activity level and (2) the deficit required to lose weight. You can also, as I've done, figure out your TDEE and manually set your calorie budget to TDEE - 500 (for 1lb/week loss), and not log exercise.
  • LisaGetsMoving
    LisaGetsMoving Posts: 664 Member
    I eat 1350 calories how many calories do I burn

That depends on too many factors to give a concise answer. You burn more if you move more and if you have more muscle mass.

You can plug your height, weight, sex and activity level into online calorie calculators and get an estimate of your BMR, that's the easy way. Or solve it yourself:
    Men: (10 × weight in kg) + (6.25 × height in cm) - (5 × age in years) + 5
    Women: (10 × weight in kg) + (6.25 × height in cm) - (5 × age in years) - 161
    Then multiply that number by anywhere from 1.2 (sedentary) to 1.9 (very active) to get to TDEE and that number is how much you eat on average to maintain. Eat less to lose, more to gain.

• Redordeadhead
    Redordeadhead Posts: 1,188 Member
    You have been asking how many calories you should eat for a few weeks in many threads. I can see you've tried (random?) various numbers, and also calculated the amount to lose 1lb or 2lbs per week. You keep changing and I don't think you're giving it enough time to assess whether it's the right amount for you.

I strongly suggest you use the MFP set up, enter your weight, activity level ignoring exercise and a reasonable goal (lose 1lb per week) and eat what MFP tells you plus at least half of your exercise calories for a few weeks.
  • BarbaraHelen2013
    BarbaraHelen2013 Posts: 1,940 Member
    I’m wondering how old you are?

I have a suspicion you’re young enough that any weight loss effort should be attempted with parental support and under the care of a family doctor. Those people in your life will be better able to help you figure out what’s healthy and appropriate for you than a bunch of strangers on the internet. MFP’s terms and conditions state that the site is not suitable for those under 18 years of age.

Forgive me if my intuition is wrong, you’ve had lots of good advice across a number of threads, now it’s up to you to stay consistent and be patient. 😊