Which Beachbody program

Options
I'm restarting my fitness journey again and trying to get any tips on the best Beachbody program I should try for my current needs.
Height 5'3
Weight 250
My main goal atm is losing 1-2 pounds a week.
Thanks

Replies

• yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,396 Member
    Options
    Hello there,
    you don't need an exercise programme to lose weight. Thought it's great for overall health and fitness. All you really need is a calorie deficit and staying with it.
  • MyfiveJs
    MyfiveJs Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I know but I would like to work on my strength and stamina as well. I'm working up to be able to start running again.
  • penguinmama87
    penguinmama87 Posts: 1,158 Member
    edited June 2021
    Options
    MyfiveJs wrote: »
    I know but I would like to work on my strength and stamina as well. I'm working up to be able to start running again.

Some posters here really like Beachbody, but IME it was a big waste of money. I tried a program thinking that the money I spent on it would incentivize me to actually do it, but it didn't work like that at all. Right now I purposefully exercise more than I ever have in my life, and I'm doing it from entirely free resources.

This is a really good list that I consulted to pick how I wanted to start strength training: https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1

I started with the NerdFitness Beginner Bodyweight routine.

For running I highly recommend Couch to 5K. There are lots of free or very inexpensive apps that you can use to time your running and walking intervals (I use the one by ZenLabs, which will play over my own music or podcast when I go for a run.) Couch to 5K assumes that you can walk at a fairly brisk pace for 30 minutes, so if you can't do that yet, start with a shorter walk and build up to 30 minutes. It's an eight or nine week program, but you can repeat days or weeks as needed to increase your stamina.
  • yirara
    Options
    What the penguin said: there are so many free programmes out there. If paying makes you more active then please do. But you could also join a C25K programme on your phone. There's even a group here to discuss with other people. Lots of good, and importantly progressive bodyweight workouts available as well, like Start Bodyweight, Convict Conditioning, Reddit Recommended Routine (I do the last and like it more than the others). The nice thing is that you will always get a bit better. Only manage 3 pushups against the sofa back last time? Then maybe you manage 4 next time. Got 8? Cool, lets try the next pushup exercise. It certainly makes you stronger and trains pretty much the whole body.
  • MissBraeBee
    MissBraeBee Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Beachbody programs are typically pretty intense! I would suggest to check youtube for some good free programs before investing in Beachbody :)
  • MyfiveJs
    MyfiveJs Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I was only thinking Beachbody because I already pay for Beachbody on demand for family. I will definitely look at other programs also!
    Thanks guys! :smile:
  • ljmorgi
    ljmorgi Posts: 264 Member
    Options

I've been doing C25K for eight years (yes I know it's supposed to be an eight-WEEK program, life keeps getting weird) and I am almost at the point of running a whole 5K from being someone who Did Not Exercise Ever. There are other similar programs; I've heard good things about None to Run as being more gradual than C25K.
  • yirara
    Options
    I was only thinking Beachbody because I already pay for Beachbody on demand for family. I will definitely look at other programs also!
    Thanks guys! :smile:

You know, if you want to get better at running then you need to run. If you want to get better at cycling then you need to cycle. You have beachbody already, so no problem. But for running it won't help that much as your body uses very specific muscles for each activity.
  • saramelie77
    saramelie77 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    If you can get your hands on Turbofire, it's pretty intense and fun! And there's a modified version to follow too. But it's hard to find now
  • jelleigh
    jelleigh Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    I love BB programs personally. Which ones have you done already?
    Personally, I quite like 21 Day Fix real time. You can run through the program back to back and each time its really easy to see your progress. And I like that is only 3 weeks long because it keeps my attention. Good split on cardio, weight training and flexibility. There's the Extreme version as well if you want to bump things up further, but personally I find the recovery time too short between moves on Extreme so I prefer to just keep running the normal 21DF and just bumping up the weights to increase difficulty.

Like others have said, what and how you eat will make the biggest difference tho. I've done the Ultimate Portion Fix food program along side it a bit and the whole container approach thing is a good place to start for those who are having difficulty getting into the discipline of weighing all their food.
    I've heard good things about Muscle Burns Fat too but it seems more cardio oriented? But I've only done like 2 of them so I could be wrong.
  • mavhendricks
    mavhendricks Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Beachbody programs are typically pretty intense! I would suggest to check youtube for some good free programs before investing in Beachbody :)

There are a lot of Beachbody programs that are the opposite of intense. :) Country Heat, Cize, Let's Get Up (not released to everyone yet) are all fantastic dance-based workouts. As stated, 21 Day Fix is another excellent one for beginners. You also have all the Yoga workouts, as well as Tai Cheng. And there is never any shame in modifying the modifier! Lord knows I have countless times!!

The most important thing to do is find something that you love. You'll be more apt to stick to a program/routine if you enjoy it. <3<3
  • KMasz
    KMasz Posts: 2,638 Member
    Options
    If you’re already paying for it, try out the different programs to see which one works best for you! The programs have descriptions so you can likely find one suitable to your needs and abilities.

I am a fan of the 21 day fix workouts (not real-time… I find the banter in real-time amongst the cast to be annoying). When I started, I just did the workouts without any weights and with modifications (as needed) until I felt comfortable with the moves. Then I gradually added weights (started with full water bottles, then bought dumbbells as needed).

I am also a fan of C25K. I have used it a couple of times (after long breaks from working out due to other injuries). I find it is a great progression to get back into running to help build up stamina and avoid injury.

My sister does the 2B mindset for her diet. She really likes it and finds it easy to stick to. However, that may not work for you. As others have said, all you need is a calorie deficit for weight loss, how you create that deficit is up to you.