I am about to throw in the cards....so upset!

Options
Ok my healthy network! I have been at this game for a long time now...I have made it a 'lifestyle' change...started in Jan. of this year. I have had a few slips...and then in spring I had emergency gallbladder surgery. I have been eating right at 1800 calories, meeting with a trainer, working out 90-120 minutes 6 days a week and drinking 12 glasses water, taking fish oils, multi vitamins, using a protien shake after a hard workout, no caffiene, limited sugars, WHAT AM I DOING WRONG??? I have played with the same 15 pounds for MONTHS now...I need to see changes...People say they can see differences...I promise you there is not that much change in my measurements! I got on the scale this morning and it is showing up 3!!! I called my Dr and have an appointment on the 26th to see if he can help me answer what I may be doing wrong. Any advice from the gallery would be unbelievably appreciated! I am so upset..................

Replies

• eillamarie
    eillamarie Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    Maybe you're eating too much or not enough?
  • emilydmac
    emilydmac Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I might be wrong here, but what can work for me sometimes is to switch it up- eat more or less calories, do a different workout for a week, more strength training, less cardio. When your body gets into a rhythm, it knows what to expect and loses weight slowly, but if you switch it up, your muscles and system are always working harder to accomodate the changes= more calories/fat burned. YOU CAN DO IT!!! I know you can!
  • vettle
    vettle Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    You're working out SO much and so hard so many times a week, you need to eat more food!!

go to fat2fitradio.com and put in your information into the BMR calculator there. Even just a small up in calories will make a huge difference. I only work out hard 3 days a week and I eat 1600 a day.

I zig zagged my calories too - worked like a charm.
  • springtrio
    springtrio Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    I might be wrong here, but what can work for me sometimes is to switch it up- eat more or less calories, do a different workout for a week, more strength training, less cardio. When your body gets into a rhythm, it knows what to expect and loses weight slowly, but if you switch it up, your muscles and system are always working harder to accomodate the changes= more calories/fat burned. YOU CAN DO IT!!! I know you can!

zig-zagging WORKS. DO IT! You have to put your body into shock to see results.
  • lirienleigh
    Options
    you've hit a plateau. it happens to everyone, and boy does it suck. when i was doing really well it took me about 3 months to get past my plateau. i cant explain why it happens, i just know you have to wait it out. good luck at the doc!
  • Please show your diary to the doctor and explain what carb/protein/fat percentage intake you are.

You may have an underactive thyroid, which easy tests can be done for.

Do not give up, there will be an answer and you may be refered to a dietician who can help.

We are all different, and all need to moderate in different ways.

You are working so hard, think how badly it could go if you stopped.

Good Luck :-)
  • edejesus2011
    Options
    It's frustrating to say the least... and believe me, i have been up and down with my weight as well. However, if you give up.. then you have already failed.

It's frustrating not to see the numbers we want on the scale.. that's why i only weight myself once a week. If i don't see the results i want, then i increase my workouts.. and find out what i did that week that prevented me to have any change. Sometimes it's food, sometimes it's the fact that i didnt' push myself enough to excercise .

In all regards, don't give up... focus on the new you, and what you want out of all of this. sometimes the number on the scale doesn't matter, what should really matter is how you feel from the inside out, and change what you don't like.

Goodluck on your journey.. Keep your head up!

Liz
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Starting with your doctor is a good idea. There may be a medical reason for this.

If not, maybe accept that you're having progress you're not seeing on the scale just yet.

I'm in a similar situation -- REALLY struggling right now. I usually use the scale along with waist and hip measurements. Well, none of them are budging (the scale a tiny bit, but I mean TINY bit). I've been horribly upset by it.

But people have remarked that I look smaller. And I do see it a bit in my chest (not breasts, but around the clavicle) and yesterday I took a really good look at my arms and realized they're much smaller. So, it's happening. Just not the way I'd like to see it.

If people are noticing you're smaller, you probably are.
  • KyleGA
    KyleGA Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    Without being able to see your food log, it is really hard to give any advice at all. Assuming you have kept an accurate daily log, this is the place to start.
  • apenabaz
    Options
    check your thyroid?
  • sunshineshica
    Options
    I'd say tell your personal trainer that you only wanna do cardio stuff for the next 2 weeks and see how that goes. running/jogging is a great workout your whole body and it's the fastest results at least for me. No need to throw in any strength training until you start seeing the results you wanna see. I also don't drink that much water so maybe decrease your water intake. I believe the recommended is 8.
  • sunnbeam
    sunnbeam Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Try measuring yourself with a tape measure. I wasn't seeing any results in weight and was feeling down. But I started measuring myself once a week and was seeing results there which kept me motivated. Then (as people above have suggested already) I switched up my exercise and did a 10 day "sugar detox" (per the suggestion of a MFP friend on here) and then I started seeing results in the weight department. You can't give up! It sounds like you're so dedicated, so you will definitely see results soon if you stick with it!!
  • 0SimplymeStacyLea0
    Options
    I feel your pain. I haven't been going at it quite as long as you have. I have lost close to 5 inches and maybe 5-6 lbs but I work hard and somedays I just want to give up. I keep telling myself that this is a lifestyle change. I too, had gallbladder problems in the Spring but they decided it was funtioning just enough to NOT take it out...weird! I have an appointment with my Dr this Thursday to go over what I have been doing to see if there is some reason why I am not losing weight like I should. I know we all want to see results on the scales especially woman......it's just programmed in our heads. Keep your chin up. :flowerforyou: I know it can be frustrating.
  • starracer23
    starracer23 Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    I have been stuck too....weighing in right at 160-162 for about the last month. I was hoping that I was going to bust that and be in the 150's already. But that doesn't seem to be the case.

I just went to the site and entered my info...said that I should be eating around 1750 calories a day....YIKES! Some times I can barely get the 1200 in...So maybe I'm not eating enough. I think that I will bump it up to 1500 and see what that does....I hope that I can eat that much.
  • tinahb_rmt
    Options
    How horrible! Don't give up....most likely there is a little tweek that will get it all to fall into place. It's likely that it's fluff, not fat, that is plaguing you. By fluff, I mean water retention due to undiagnosed factors (most likely benign, just irritating)

Genetics? What shape is the rest of your family tree. Not that it means that it can't be overcome, but fighting genetics makes it harder. And women have to battle hormonal changes too that show in mothers, aunties, and sisters.

Food allergies? Many food allergies cause water retention. There could be a perfectly healthy option that is causing you to retain water. Check out a naturopath to have food testing.

Organ health? You gave up your gallbladder earlier this year - that takes a LONG time to heal properly - many months. If your organs are struggling a bit due to this or other organ troubles, that will cause you to retain water too.

Don't give up. Get to the bottom of it all - it is worth while.

Good luck!
  • bikermike5094
    bikermike5094 Posts: 1,752 Member
    Options
    My advice, stay away from the scale. This is about getting healthy. If your eating right, excercising and feeling better, then let your body do what its going to do . I only weigh in once a month othewise i fixate on the numbers, get upset, depressed, angry which all lead me to eat wrong in the first place. focus on you and being healtyh, not the numbers.
  • Ingridriddle
    Options
    Thanks all! I actually called and I am goingin tomorrow at 2 instead of waiting! I kicked up my workout seriously again today and also bumped my calories up a little as well! I added two new catagoried to my food tracking (Sugar and sodium) and CAN NOT believe how many days I have gone over on my sodium! I had no idea that 2% cottage cheese had so much sodium! WOW....Anyway thank you all for the encouragement!
  • shydaisi
    shydaisi Posts: 833 Member
    Options
    Do you weigh and measure your food? Do you eat your exercise calories? Do you use a HRM to more accurately account for your burn?

ETA: I hope everything goes well at the doctor tomorrow!