Which is the best COUCH TO 5K app?

Which is the best COUCH TO 5K app?

I want it to play music, give voice prompts to run vs walk.

And also be FREE.

Replies

• penguinmama87
    penguinmama87 Posts: 1,158 Member
    I use Zen Labs's app for free. I think you can upgrade to a paid version to play their music, but it just does voice prompts over my own music app (I actually normally listen to audiobooks or podcasts).
  • alisampm
    alisampm Posts: 182 Member
    It’s a paid app, but I just finished the none to Run program and would recommend it if you are truly starting from no running, more gradual on ramp to running.
  • GummiMundi
    GummiMundi Posts: 396 Member
    I like NHS's version. It's free, it plays music, and it gives you all the directions of when to run and when to walk. Plus some tips and words of encouragement.
    Actually, I don't like it - I love it! ;)
  • Rimtimtim
    Rimtimtim Posts: 21 Member
    I like the Zombies, Run! app. There's a bit of story that can get annoying, but I like the progression it has. It was the best mix of run/jog/run for me.
  • KNoceros
    KNoceros Posts: 324 Member
    Another vote for Zombies!Run, but after week three it here’s a paywall. I’m in the UK, and I think it was only £1, so shouldn’t be much more than US$1.50 if converted
  • tiptoethruthetulips
    tiptoethruthetulips Posts: 3,360 Member
    I wonder why $0.99 or $1.50 in app store seems so much more expensive than a real store??
  • ridiculous59
    ridiculous59 Posts: 2,819 Member
    I don't run in the winter months so every spring its like I'm starting over. This is the 6th year that I've used Zenlabs C25K. It does the job and it's free. One year I even felt motivated enough to do their C210K. I haven't tried any other running apps because I've been satisfied with this one.
  • TX_Bluebonnet
    TX_Bluebonnet Posts: 244 Member
    GummiMundi wrote: »
    I like NHS's version. It's free, it plays music, and it gives you all the directions of when to run and when to walk. Plus some tips and words of encouragement.

Years ago I used NHS's C25K podcasts as an obese 50-something who hadn't done any running since high school gym class. After completing the program I signed up for a 5k and worked my way up to a full marathon. Since it'd been so long that I'd done any running, I just recently started with their program again. I see they have an app now, but I haven't tried it since I like the podcasts just fine.

Maybe best of all, NHS has a great forum where you can share your experience and get helpful tips and support.
  • GummiMundi
    GummiMundi Posts: 396 Member

Years ago I used NHS's C25K podcasts as an obese 50-something who hadn't done any running since high school gym class. After completing the program I signed up for a 5k and worked my way up to a full marathon. Since it'd been so long that I'd done any running, I just recently started with their program again. I see they have an app now, but I haven't tried it since I like the podcasts just fine.

Maybe best of all, NHS has a great forum where you can share your experience and get helpful tips and support.

Actually, I should have clarified that I use the podcast files instead of the app (old phone problems, eheh!), but I assumed the contents would probably be the same.
    I haven't used their forum, though, so thanks for the tip! :)
  • Magic_Chicken
    Magic_Chicken Posts: 141 Member
    I used the NHS version which was free and included music.

I also used the Zenlabs app which was free but had no music. I used my own playlists on spotify/audible and the 5k app interrupted and prompted over the music for me when needed.
  • TX_Bluebonnet
    TX_Bluebonnet Posts: 244 Member

Actually, I should have clarified that I use the podcast files instead of the app (old phone problems, eheh!), but I assumed the contents would probably be the same.
    I haven't used their forum, though, so thanks for the tip! :)

Looks like with the NHS app you can choose Laura (from the podcasts) or select from some other (celebrity-type?) people to be your "coach". Maybe they have different music to walk/run too as well, not sure. Hopefully they at least didn't include on the app the advise from the podcast to strike with your heal first when running. I know the podcasts worked for me before so that's what I'm sticking too. :)