Almond Milk??

Options
I noticed in some of the food journals on here that there are alot of people who drink almond milk.
I'm just wondering what kind of benefits that has to offer? If any??

Replies

• kkessler116
    Options
    Almond milk is big time beneficial. It has fewer calories, contains 50% more calcium and is lactose-free.

I use the Silk brand.

Silk Original Almond milk 60 calories and 50% more calcium than milk. way better for you.
  • michedarnd
    michedarnd Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    High calcium -- less fat -- and I am lactose intolerant, anyway. It also makes a really creamy base for either health shakes or protein drinks.
  • summertime_girl
    summertime_girl Posts: 3,945 Member
    Options
    It's only 40 calories per serving. It tastes better than real milk. Lactose-free. I prefer it.
  • jimmychoo2shoes
    Options
    It's lower calorie than dairy milk. Some people might drink it becaue they don't tolerate dairy milk or do not consume animal products. It's pretty tastey. You can buy it in boxes that are shelf stable for quite awhile. I like to drink it because I don't think dairy agrees with me real well and it's lower calorie than soy milk and I heard that too much soy can mess with your hormones.
  • PBJunkie
    Options
    Is it as expensive as it is here in South African? About 5 times more expensive than cow's milk
  • shesblossoming
    Options
    I'm lactose intolerant and can't really seem to stomach too much soy milk, so almond milk seems to do the trick for me. It's incredibly tasty with protein shakes, has fewer calories, and the ultimate benefit... I'm not stuck in the bathroom with a stomach ache. I just wish they made a huge gallon jug of it, because I seem to buy five or six every week.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    The big downside to almond milk is the lack of protein. I usually add vanilla protein powder to it if I am using it.
  • JediMaster_intraining
    Options
    I can't drink regular cow milk and I'm not a fan of soy so I drink almond milk (silk). It's really good! It encourages me to eat breakfast every morning because it's so tasty and helps me get some calcium in my diet since most dairy screws with my digestive system.
  • JanLeb
    JanLeb Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    I use it because I can't handle much dairy.
    I do alternated with soy and goats milk, but really do love the almond milk. Silk Original Almond is my favorite and only 60 cals per serving.
  • 27strange
    27strange Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    I drink Silk brand or Almond Breeze brand of almond milk. Its between 40-60 calories for 1 cup so about half that of 1% milk. It has less carbs but can have more fats than milk, but they are healthier fats than the fats in milk. I really like unsweetened vanilla flavor the best. I don't drink a lot of it by the glass, but I never was much of a milk drinker either. I put it in cereal, oatmeal, protein shakes, use it for cooking/baking as well.
  • RunConquerCelebrate
    Options
    I noticed in some of the food journals on here that there are alot of people who drink almond milk.
    I'm just wondering what kind of benefits that has to offer? If any??

if you get the sugar free one I think its less calories if you get the regular one is 60 calories per cup. I used to make my smoothies and also for my oatmeal. I am lactose intolerant so it really works for me. If you have a costco membership you can buy a box that has 3 half gallons in it. And it last longer than regular milk
  • erszike48
    Options
    Almond milk contains the MUFAs - monounsaturated fats - good for reducing belly fat!
  • 27strange
    27strange Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    A half gallon of Almond milk is about the same price of a gallon of 1% cow milk. So its about double the cost. $3.50 or so for a half gallon. But it keeps for more than a month which is nice, so I buy it when its on sale or with coupons and it lasts.
  • aethompson5507
    aethompson5507 Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    i was going to comment, but everyone else already nailed it. this stuff is great and i definitely love it! i use it to make my shakes! delicious. :drinker:
  • Jarvis95
    Jarvis95 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    i freaking love it. just bought some!!! it's super low cal! the unsweetened is perfect for cereal!
  • frugalmomsrock
    Options
    And don't forget antioxidants!!! :)

I get the Aldi brand (friendly farms), and it's delicious. Cheaper than the other brands, too. It's 2.19 for a half gallon.
  • 8rules
    8rules Posts: 169
    Options
    Tastes good in coffee

I drink it, but I think the fear of full fat dairy is completely unjustified.

But I do enjoy almond milk for flavor reasons alone and its nice in certain protein shake mixes.
  • vikesfanmb
    vikesfanmb Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    Just adding my two cents . . it is delicious!! Less calories, more calcium, but yes - less protein as well.
    I try to just alternate between almond milk and regular milk because almond milk is generally a tad bit
    more expensive than just regular skim milk.
  • dragonflybird
    Options
    Almond milk contains the MUFAs - monounsaturated fats - good for reducing belly fat!

Wow, that is good to know. I've been drinking Silk Original soy milk, but maybe I'll make the switch! (besides I'm a little scared of what all the soy will do to my body.)