Not Adjusting Calories In After Losing 72lbs?

So I’ve been losing weight since Oct. 2020 and have lost a total of 72 pounds. I had lost weight in the past and had to make adjustments to my calories in to continue losing weight. Back then I was much more active than I am today.

However, I haven’t adjusted at all since October. The only adjustments I’ve made have been increasing my calories in as I was feeling hungry and at one point I was losing more than my weekly goal.

I’m assuming that adjustments needed affect you more if you’re more active? Is this why I haven’t needed to make adjustments?

Replies

• spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,673 Member
    If you are still losing weight at a healthy and sustainable rate, then there is no need to do adjustments. People usually change their daily calorie goal when weight loss slows down significantly. Also, if you were originally trying to lose 2 lbs. a week, as you get closer to goal it can be a good idea to lower that weekly loss so that you can get used to eating in maintenance mode.
  • wunderkindking
    wunderkindking Posts: 1,615 Member
    You lose about 10 calories per pound in the calculator. Activity doesn't really change it. What you're seeing could be that your calorie burn was underestimated initially, that your activity - including Non-Exercise activity - has gone up, or something else entirely.

Bodies are weird. Remember adjusting calories is a thing you can do if loss slows and don't worry about it.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,881 Member
    Congrats on your progress!

As you get closer to your goal weight you should adjust your weekly weight loss goal:

9kjwnia17qv9.jpg
  • DupreeTheTRex
    DupreeTheTRex Posts: 105 Member
    You lose about 10 calories per pound in the calculator. Activity doesn't really change it. What you're seeing could be that your calorie burn was underestimated initially, that your activity - including Non-Exercise activity - has gone up, or something else entirely.

Bodies are weird. Remember adjusting calories is a thing you can do if loss slows and don't worry about it.

I do absolutely no exercise other than my walks which I’ve done from the start. I haven’t increased how many walks I go on and I’m actually less active now than I was a while back as I finished all construction in my home. For a brief stint I was doing all sorts of projects but I tried to compensate during that time to eat more.

I guess I’m just surprised that I haven’t needed to adjust yet when I’m the past I had to.
  • DupreeTheTRex
    DupreeTheTRex Posts: 105 Member
    kshama2001 wrote: »

As you get closer to your goal weight you should adjust your weekly weight loss goal:

9kjwnia17qv9.jpg
    kshama2001 wrote: »

9kjwnia17qv9.jpg

I had been aiming for 1lbs a week and have hit that target for a while now (at least two months if not more) a few other weeks my average was above 1lbs especially when I started doing projects around the house. I adjusted quickly to eat more because it wasn’t sustainable. This has been the easiest weight loss of my life and I’ve struggled with loss in the past.

I took extreme measures (extreme diets and over exercising) to lose very fast. That was my downfall I think because I never really feel that hungry aiming for 1lbs a week.