blood sugar success story :)

zebasschick
zebasschick Posts: 910 Member
years ago, i weighed in at 242 at 5' 3", and that's when i discovered my blood sugar was over 300. i got it down with exercise and weight loss, but when i gained some weight and lost muscle after an injury, it went back up to 200ish.

for the last 2 months, i've been exercise biking every day. that's been a problem due to injury, but not too bad as i wear a knee brace and 2 ankle braces, and i don't use too much resistance - after some experimentation, i discovered what would get my heart rate up to reasonable yet not cause issues.

and i discovered a workaround for the pain in joints and previously torn muscles - i have a smaller semi-recumbent while my husband has a full sized recumbent. when i start having even a hint of pain on one, i switch to the other.

while i'm not losing much weight, i've lost some but i'm also eating carefully every 2 to 2 1/2 hours, not too high on carbs but some carbs help me, and i eat high protein to help build back my leg muscles. i never eat more than 10 grams of sugar per mini meal, usually less than 6. my personal experience is that eating/drinking sugar - that includes fruit and fruit juice - raises my blood sugar a lot. i have a quest bar or tasty chocolate protein drink when i want something sweet, sometimes a low sugar vanilla yogurt.

and today, for the first time in ages, my blood sugar is 116! that's not even a full 8 hour fast. so i'm feeling great about life :)

woohoo!

Replies

• Fflpnari
    Fflpnari Posts: 975 Member
    Thats awesome!!! Blood sugar control will also help your injuries heal.
  • Beautyofdreams
    Beautyofdreams Posts: 1,009 Member
    That is awesome that you have diet, exercise and blood sugars dialed in. Sending healing wishes your way and you come back even fitter.
  • LydiaMcMillan1946
    LydiaMcMillan1946 Posts: 5 Member
    Is there a place in this program to record our blood sugars? This would be helpful for me.
  • zebasschick
    Fflpnari wrote: »
    Thats awesome!!! Blood sugar control will also help your injuries heal.

my injuries aren't wounds... i have scar tissue from previous injuries and tendonitis.
    Is there a place in this program to record our blood sugars? This would be helpful for me.

would it help to leave the reading and time in your diary notes?
  • jamespatten3576
    jamespatten3576 Posts: 71 Member
    That's freaking awesome. My blood sugar too tends to stay near 300 and I absolutely won't do maintenance medications. So your story gives me hope and motivation.
  • LydiaMcMillan1946
    LydiaMcMillan1946 Posts: 5 Member
    That is awesome, I also was having very high blood sugars, I am watching my carbs, however very hard for me.
  • zebasschick
    That's freaking awesome. My blood sugar too tends to stay near 300 and I absolutely won't do maintenance medications. So your story gives me hope and motivation.

when i first found out i had diabetes, my sugar was almost 400. what got it down to 200 or below was walking.
    not walking fast, just walking without breaks for as long as possible. to make that work, i walked on level ground at a comfortable pace, listening to audiobooks. i started at 15 minutes, and over time got it up to over 45 minutes per walk.

i also stopped eating food with much sugar and found the sugar free or lower sugar equivalents that tasted the best and didn't cause me issues. when starting with foods with malitol, the runs can happen when eating much. it takes a while to adapt. double chocolate chunk quest bars, for my tastes, are super yummy and don't cause my sugar to rise much compared to an actual candy bar or brownie.

i've never done diabetes meds, but my sugar hasn't been over 200 in years.

don't give up!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!