What the Macro?

I'm sure this has been asked a thousand times, so I apologize now but can someone please explain to me Macro's or how I go about calculating them. I'm a first timer when it comes to learning about Macro's so any info would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,935 Member
    Just use the default macros.

Macros are the three macronutrients of Protein, Carbohydrates, and Fat. 4 calories per gram of carbs and protein, 9 calories per gram of fat.

The default on this site is 50% Carbs, 30% Fat and 20% Protein. It's a fair split and easy to implement. As you learn more you can tweak it if you want.

Weight management is about Calories, satiety and good nutrition is partly about macros.

https://blog.myfitnesspal.com/ask-the-dietitian-whats-the-best-carb-protein-and-fat-breakdown-for-weight-loss/

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/819055/setting-your-calorie-and-macro-targets/p1
  • autumnblade75
    autumnblade75 Posts: 1,660 Member
    Ok, so, macros are the macronutrients - protein, fat and carbohydrates (some people count alcohol as it's own macro, too, but mostly it falls under carbs.) These are the categories that calories are sorted into. Protein and carbs each have 4 calories per gram, and fat has 9.

MFP will tally them up just like it does for calories, (assuming you choose good entries, where the macros match your food packaging) and you'll see how many of which you're eating. Then you can decide if you'd feel more satiated with a different ratio - usually a little fewer carbs, and probably more protein.

Calories are still going to be more important than macros. That's what determines weight loss. Macros might help contribute to dietary adherence, and that will certainly make weight management easier.

Many of us pay closer attention to protein, and let fat and carbs work themselves out.
  • madonifer
    madonifer Posts: 30 Member
    Thank you! I appreciate the info!
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,382 Member
    Oh, and if you happen to naturally eat more fat or more protein that this website suggests then it doesn't matter. Those are minimums. The only downside is that you'll have less lovely carbs. :D Lots of people will say that carbs are optional, but some people naturally love them. So... whatever works for you.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,953 Member
    Yeah, what they said, plus some of us (me) will possibly eat too little fat, if not paying attention, so I pay attention to protein and fat both, as minimums, let carbs fall wherever to hit calorie goal . . . sometimes with a little alcohol in the picture, too.

The alcohol part of alcoholic beverages is not a carb. It's metabolized very differently, and is roughly 7 calories per gram, intermediate between protein/carbs and fat calorie-wise. A lot of alcoholic beverages (wine, beer, mixed drinks) do have some carbs in addition to alcohol, of course . . . occasionally even protein and fats. 😉 White Russian, anyone? 😉