Need Recommendations for a HRM

Options
I know NOTHING about HRMs and they all look the same to me. I know I'm looking for something that tracks my HR and estimates my calories burned. I think I also need some sort of a comfortable and sturdy strap because a lot of what I do is bouncy (running, dancing, hiking, etc.)

My question is: What HRMs do you guys have (Brand/Model) and what would you recommend?

Thanks!!

Replies

• PhatChic1186
    Options
    I have a Polar FT4, and I love it..It comes with a chest strap as well.
  • byHISstrength
    byHISstrength Posts: 984 Member
    Options
    I use the Polar FT7 with a chest strap and LOVE IT. I haven't been using mine since 1/6/11 and haven't had any problems with it.
  • melanie3103
    melanie3103 Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I love my Polar FT4M. About £45 on Amazon. Turns a workout into a game - I try to keep heart rate up as much as possible, monitoring it all the time... :)

Enjoy.
  • TMcBooty
    TMcBooty Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    don't buy a sigma pc9. I lose signal all the time :(

anyone have any suggestions?
  • ibbray04
    ibbray04 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    I also use Polar FT4 and love it.
  • elliotth77
    elliotth77 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I also have a Polar FT60. I got the model with the GPS sensor as well. It's an older model but you can get it for a good price because of that. I have had no problems with it at all. Having a HRM has made me really understand my body and get more from each workout.

http://www.google.com/products/catalog?hl=en&rlz=&q=polar+ft60&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=2007303528854880335&sa=X&ei=aYRvTvbNO_DXiAKV6N2RBw&ved=0CHwQ8wIwAg#ps-sellers
  • alibreasy
    alibreasy Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    I have a Timex T5G971 Unisex Sports Personal Heart Rate Monitor Watch and I love it. I just got it last week and wish I would've bought it at the beginning of my weightloss journey. It changes your workout drastically. As you monitor your heart rate you are constantly trying to keep it at the high mark for awhile before you bring it down. Your calories burned is the amazing part (WOWZERS) the machines lie to you and the online guides for calories burned are off as well but HRMs yeah they are the most accurate! Mine has a chest band....I jog the treadmill, bounce around in Zumba and it works fine.
  • humanskin
    Options
    Thanks guys. I'll be looking into these brands (especially Polar, it seems).

For the chest straps, do they slip at all? Do they go on the outside or inside of your clothing?
  • H_Factor
    H_Factor Posts: 1,722 Member
    Options

For the chest straps, do they slip at all? Do they go on the outside or inside of your clothing?

I use the Polar FT4 as well and have enjoyed it. I use it for a variety of exercising....running, sprinting, boot camps, resistance training. It goes under my shirt and it does not slip.
  • PhatChic1186
    Options

NO, The strap doesn't slip at all, you adjust it to fit you properly...it goes underneath your shirt. I use it to go jogging, walking, working out to dvds
  • HMonsterX
    HMonsterX Posts: 3,000 Member
    Options
    You'll find that Polar FT4 is the most widely used on here, including myself. Its a nice price, very easy to set up and use, and comfortable too.
  • tuffytuffy1
    tuffytuffy1 Posts: 920 Member
    Options
    Polar FT4, I love it! I bought it after searching through the forums and found it was the most highly recommended. I got it a few weeks ago for $63 and free super saver shipping on Amazon.
  • Ashleysh22
    Options
    I hear a lot of good things about polar and garmin

- and someday, when I can justify the purchase - I think I will get a polar. They get great reviews on amazon and are comparively lower priced than the garmin ones.
  • millylucille
    Options
    Bump!
  • jennybaby1982
    Options
    are the watch style as accurate as the strap on chest style?