Overthinking Summer Plans...

Options
So with a couple of trips planned this summer, I am starting to think about how I want to work my weight loss plans...

For example, I know it is not impossible to be healthy in Las Vegas, but the truth is I want to plan on having a couple of drinks!

Part of me feels like I can make enough "good decisions" or decisions that work with my weight loss goals, to balance out whatever is in question. Like my habits are already far enough along that a certain amount of walking and salads and protein will just naturally work their way in. And that feels good. Part of me worries that that is the kind of attitude that sets me up for "failure" and why I have so much weight to lose right now. Part of me thinks I just plain don't to stress and I hate that I even have a mental dialogue about this at all.

I'm trying to go with the mindset of freedom and knowing that every decision I make is truly mine, and that I have the capability to make one decision with the goal of satisfying my senses and another with the goal of caring for my long term wellness, and that those two things don't have to exclude eachother.

Any other overthinkers?? What are your thoughts/perspectives about sticking to your plans during vacations, granting yourselves grace, etc?

Replies

• wunderkindking
    wunderkindking Posts: 1,615 Member
    Options
    I am prone to over thinking and perfectionism. Tackling both of those things head on was hugely important in me being able to lose weight.

So. While my inclination was to try real hard to figure out how to log food and exercise during summer business/activity, I ultimately decided to breathe and relax and just do the best I can with it, keep an eye on myself/weight and see how things go. Being healthier and maintaining my weight has to fit into my life. It is not my life.
  • MaryRose1180
    MaryRose1180 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    @steveko89 ah, I hadn't thought about checking in after the trips. Thanks for that wisdom and for your comment.

@wunderkindking your last statements really help me articulate the attitude I'm trying to foster. Thank you!! Back when I started parenting I sometimes reminded myself to "Keep It Simple, Smarty-pants" and this feels a bit appropriate again!πŸ˜‚πŸ˜Š
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,863 Member
    Options
    I'm not so much an overthinker (anymore). I'm more of an experimenter. Maybe you'd enjoy reading about one of my experiments, I dunno. It was only a long weekend, not a whole week vacation, but in my experience, some of the same principles apply.

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10603949/big-overfeed-ruins-everything-nope/p1

Unlike in that episode, which was pretty much sitting all day while away, I'm usually pretty active on vacations. Also, I can't literally keep eating *that* much day after day, because the cumulative effect is that the full feeling carries over so it stops being enjoyable or even tempting. So, I might keep eating somewhat over maintenance, but not 2-3 times maintenance. (I learned that by experimenting, too. πŸ˜†)

From further experiments, I've learned that I'm capable of eating freely for a day (holiday, birthday) or few (vacation), then getting right back on my usual routine when that episode is over. At worst, I might have a pound or two to lose, and I've proven I know how to do that. (Usually, there's pretty much only temporary water weight. If a bit more than that, just knocking off 100 or so calories for a while will take care of it gradually, pretty stress-free, now that I'm in maintenance. While losing, I just let my normal deficit handle it, treated it as a short delay in reaching goal weight. NBD.)

If something goes seriously haywire, I'm pretty sure I'll be able to tell myself it was water under the bridge, not feel bad/guilty (what's the point? burns no extra calories, feels icky), learn from it, and do what needs to be done going forward. That part wasn't a well-founded experimental finding, but smaller obstacles/slips and knowledge of my own personality suggest that as a reasonable hypothesis. I've been through almost a year of weight loss (50+ pounds), followed by 5+ years since of maintaining a healthy weight (up and down a few pounds, but all in a healthy range, normal BMI), so I've had some opportunities to observe.

Now, I can't say for sure that any of my experiments apply to other people, because so much of weight maintenance is individualized and idiosyncratic. But for me, I don't worry much about short, temporary exceptions; I think the majority of our days determine the majority of our progress.

Just offering a different view, from (I think?) a non-overthinker. YMMV.
  • robertw486
    robertw486 Posts: 2,390 Member
    Options
    Use your trends and history to guide you towards what usually works best for you.

Vacation or not, I like good food, and sometimes plenty of it. If I know I have an event that will take me in that direction, I just do it, and get back on track the next day. In the case of a trip or multiple days of such possible meals, I'll just eat lighter through the rest of the day and save it for one big splurge.

I've had days my alcohol intake was probably near my daily calorie goal, combined with a lot of food for 7-8K calorie days. And if I'm in weight loss mode, I'll usually still break even or lose weight for the week.
  • Beverly2Hansen
    Beverly2Hansen Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    It's okay to just enjoy your vacation. The biggest concern is if you drink and eat a bunch of junk you'll probably throw up if you've been in a deficit for a while not drinking. Try to keep it modest but still have fun.
  • MaryRose1180
    Options
    So much encouragement! Thank you @robertw486 and
    @AnnPT77 I like your ideas on experimenting and your recognition that self knowledge is a valid thing to consider!

• MaryRose1180
    Options
    @Beverly2Hansen thanks, you're probablyright! I almost wish I could say I haven't been drinking at all.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,863 Member
    Options
    It's okay to just enjoy your vacation. The biggest concern is if you drink and eat a bunch of junk you'll probably throw up if you've been in a deficit for a while not drinking. Try to keep it modest but still have fun.

FWIW, I think I did that experiment, too, probably more than once. For me, no throwing up. (Even though I had occasions where I drank generous amounts of alcohol after not drinking at all for quite a while, and with stuff like deep-fried beer-battered whatever and gooey pizza alongside, there was no throwing up, not even close. From very bad experiments in my youth many decades ago, I would have to drink much more to get to that stage than I'm willing to drink now in one session, as a 65 y/o li'l ol' lady.)

I do tend to have pretty rock-solid digestive system, though, despite no longer having a gallbladder. I see people here report that after losing weight (even with intact gallbladder, I think) they can no longer consume foods like that without feeling sick.

I'm probably not a good influence here, in this respect . . . .

OP, you should probably pay attention to @Beverly2Hansen, in this context. Not to me. πŸ˜‰
  • wunderkindking
    wunderkindking Posts: 1,615 Member
    edited June 2021
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: Β»

FWIW, I think I did that experiment, too, probably more than once. For me, no throwing up. (Even though I had occasions where I drank generous amounts of alcohol after not drinking at all for quite a while, and with stuff like deep-fried beer-battered whatever and gooey pizza alongside, there was no throwing up, not even close. From very bad experiments in my youth many decades ago, I would have to drink much more to get to that stage than I'm willing to drink now in one session, as a 65 y/o li'l ol' lady.)

I do tend to have pretty rock-solid digestive system, though, despite no longer having a gallbladder. I see people here report that after losing weight (even with intact gallbladder, I think) they can no longer consume foods like that without feeling sick.

I'm probably not a good influence here, in this respect . . . .

OP, you should probably pay attention to @Beverly2Hansen, in this context. Not to me. πŸ˜‰

I think I'm like this with you, though with a gallbladder. My tolerance for nearly everything is the the same as it always was. The one exception is straight up dairy milk or a lot of ice cream. That now gives me a heck of a stomach ache after mostly drinking almond milk to cut some calories. Any kind of really processed dairy (yogurt, cottage cheese, cheese cheese) is still fine.

That said, dairy milk and ice cream are the only things I STOPPED eating.
  • MaryRose1180
    Options
    πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚ It is true, I have often said my gut loves me too much and is never punishing!