Whats the best kind of ice cream for a healthy diet?

Options

Replies

• Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    here's a tip to prevent ice crystals when using almond milk etc, use xanthan gum. i've made some homemade fryos using greek yogurt, protein powder and almond milk, added about .75tsp of xanthan and worked well

Silly question: what do you make your homemade fro-yo in? Is the process the same as regular ice cream where you need to get a machine so that it's churned the whole time when you're making it?

i have an ice cream machine, so i make the base and chill the base for an hr or so, then fire up the ice cream maker and dump it in and let it run for 5-10 min.

i suppose you could just freeze the base and not use an ice cream machine but the texture won't be there and with it sitting there ice crystals would prob be inevitable

i own this one btw

http://www.amazon.com/Cuisinart-ICE-21-Frozen-Yogurt-Ice-Sorbet/dp/B003KYSLMW
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    Ben and Jerry's or Haagen Dazs

That's what I was going to say. I'd rather have 1/2 cup of REAL delicious ice cream than an entire bowl full of mediocre bleh.

A serving size is a 1/2 cup
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    here's a tip to prevent ice crystals when using almond milk etc, use xanthan gum. i've made some homemade fryos using greek yogurt, protein powder and almond milk, added about .75tsp of xanthan and worked well

Silly question: what do you make your homemade fro-yo in? Is the process the same as regular ice cream where you need to get a machine so that it's churned the whole time when you're making it?

i have an ice cream machine, so i make the base and chill the base for an hr or so, then fire up the ice cream maker and dump it in and let it run for 5-10 min.

i suppose you could just freeze the base and not use an ice cream machine but the texture won't be there and with it sitting there ice crystals would prob be inevitable

Boo, my husband would kill me if I walked in the house with another kitchen gaget.
  • heidiberr
    heidiberr Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    I've been getting single servings of sorbet from Ciao Bella in the organic section of my store--100 calories--real fruit--and it's been on sale for 2 for 3 dollars. delish!
  • potuschris
    Options
    I like skinny cow (though it is pricey). I'm also a fan of Edy's/Dreyer's Slow Churned flavors (I usually buy this when it's buy one/get one free). Most have 100-120 cal per 1/2 cup serving. It's perfect for my almost daily ice cream fix.
  • LilMissFoodie
    LilMissFoodie Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    It is all about portions. These days I mostly eat regular icecream (mostly because the UK doesn't have any good low fat ones, Australia has loads haha). I would recommend low fat though, if you can find a good one, some of them taste the same and it's only fat taken out. I'm not keen on artificially sweetened ones, I have nothing against artificial sweetener but they must put loads in the icecream because it really upsets my stomach! I would steer clear of things like Ben and Jerrys that have lots of other stuff added that pushes the calories up - you never appreciate it for both ie it would satisfy your icecream cravings but you may still find yourself wanting chocolate even though you've had some as part of your icecream - I prefer to keep my treats seperate and low portion, low calorie so I can have them more often.
  • tuffytuffy1
    tuffytuffy1 Posts: 920 Member
    Options
    Edy's slow churned is very good!
  • rainunrefined
    rainunrefined Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    Ben and Jerry's or Haagen Dazs

That's what I was going to say. I'd rather have 1/2 cup of REAL delicious ice cream than an entire bowl full of mediocre bleh.

A serving size is a 1/2 cup

Uhh.. that's why I said 1/2 cup?
  • rainunrefined
    rainunrefined Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    Edy's slow churned is very good!

I agree. They do make a 1/2 fat version of a few of their flavors which I can't tell the difference in taste.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Skinny Cow ROCKS

Yes this ^^^ If you didn't see the box, you really wouldn not know these are low cal.
  • Marquettedominos
    Marquettedominos Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    We make homemade icecream(Gelato). We use a Vitamix blender and only use frozen fresh fruit. Nothing else. It turns out great and can be made in under a minute.
  • ritaadkins2002
    ritaadkins2002 Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    weight watchers ice cream is good but skinny cow is lower in calories
  • lmelangley
    lmelangley Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    Everyone's opinions are different, but i feel that MFP should be about modifying your diet to make yourself healthier, but in such a way that you can live with it. If you love ice cream, you shouldn't deny yourself whatever kind of icecream you like - just eat it in moderation. Try to limit yourself to half a cup (a scoop) a couple of times a week. On days when you know you're going to have ice cream, log it into your diary first thing in the morning so that the calories and fat are "reserved", so to speak. You can update your diary with the specific ice cream you have when you actually have it.

Beware toppings in general, but remember that nuts are good for you and jimmies have few calories.

If we use MFP to relearn how to eat versus "dieting", we can achieve our goals and not regain what we lose. But, again, just my 2 cents.

Good luck!
  • dothompson
    dothompson Posts: 1,184 Member
    Options
    Something with a measured portion works best for me.

I've been buying those little sundae cups (the kind that used to come with a flat wooden spoon). They have 100 calories. It's the perfect amount for a daily ice cream fix and they are a lot less expensive than the "diet" ice cream bars or sandwiches.
  • foxxxiblonde
    Options
    I enjoy the coconut milk based ice cream as well. yummm :)
  • gmom81158
    gmom81158 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Skinny cow is good! Plus Dreyers slo-churned. I also like Blue Bunny sugar free bunny tracks!
  • dmpizza
    dmpizza Posts: 3,321 Member
    Options
    Skinny Cow is tasty and 100 Calories
  • gracemleone
    Options
    Yes, skinny cow, like everyone else said.
    Also frozen yogurt or sorbet, I like haagen dazs mango sorbet.
    But my favorite is sambazon acai berry sorbet, whole foods has it.
    Oh and the coconut bliss coconut ice cream made with coconut milk. also in whole foods, but not sure about the calories in that. But it at least has good fats from coconuts. :)
  • kelseyannxo
    Options
    Turkey Hill all natural..it is SO delicious and tastes so milky and not processed at all. It has around 150 cals per serving or so, but that's fine because the only ingredients are milk, cocoa, sugar, and cream. It's SO good!
  • jmg0906
    Options
    I have been getting Edy's Cappuchino Chip Frozen Yogurt Blend.. its 110cal for 1/2 cup.. having it on a plain ice cream cone for 20 more calories hits the spot!