Cardio before or after?

Options
I've heard lot's of different ideas around this, but what do you think is better.... to do cardio before weights or after? And this is if you aren't trying to "build" muscle as much as you're trying to burn fat and get tone.

Replies

• bathedinshadow
    bathedinshadow Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I've heard lot's of different ideas around this, but what do you think is better.... to do cardio before weights or after? And this is if you aren't trying to "build" muscle as much as you're trying to burn fat and get tone.
  • ladyofivy
    ladyofivy Posts: 648
    Options
    I think (but I'm really nobody) that cardio should always go before weights, because once you get your heart rate up, lifting weights automatically continues to keep your body in cardio mode, hence your getting more bang for your buck. :)

Also, if you watch fitness shows like... I can't remember the name but the guy's name is Gilad, he always does cardio and ends with stuff like crunches and muscle building, so I think I'm not too far off with that...
  • iftcheiaf
    iftcheiaf Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    I usually do it after cardio because my adrenaline is already pumping and it keeps me motivated. The times I've tried doing it before, I always feel like I wimp out.
  • pixiestick
    pixiestick Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    I am pretty sure that cardio usually comes first.

The exception would be if you are doing HIGH intensity weight training and can get your heart-rate explosively high. Then the cardio works as a way to sustain that intensity and moderate the exertion on your body (but don't listen too closely to me; I'm getting my doctorate in philosophy, not medicine).
    :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    I just bumped a thread with an article on this very subject!
  • jvandertuin
    Options
    It depends on what your goal is. If you are interested in primary heart health (i.e. aerobic exercise) then cardio first, if you are interested in weight training (cardio second).

The reasoning is this: If you want the most from weight training and do cardio first, you will deplete your food stores (glycogen) and therefore have less energy to lift the heavy weights, hence cardio second. If you want to focus on 45 minutes of aerobic training and generally use smaller weights, cardio first. Also, you are getting a type of cardio with weight training, but it is quick bursts of energy called anaerobic conditioning which uses "sugar" stores over "fat" stores.

If your goal is to go for long hikes/bike rides/running etc. Cardio is your primary goal. If your goal is primarily strength increases and "toning"; weight training is your primary goal.

If your goal is primarily weight loss, cardio will be the most important, because your heart (generally speaking) doesn't get high enough or is sustained long enough to start depleting fat stores. Now if you superset in weight training that is a different kettle of worms.

However, prior to doing any weights or heavy cardio, ALWAYS warm up with cardio until you break a sweat. By breaking a sweat the muscle fibres have had a chance to warm up and become more elastic and run less risk of injury.
  • jvandertuin
    Options
    I agree and disagree with FC. I agree with glycogen depletion, however, in my experience women, yes I said it, don't lift enough or heavy enough weights and therefore never go to exhaustion depleting their energy stores. And, it still boils down to your heart rate. If your heart rate is elevated, your body requires more "gas" to keep up with the demand. When your heart rate is elevated, you have an oxygen debt to pay (that is why you are out of breath), the longer the debt, the more "gas" needed to refuel
  • bathedinshadow
    bathedinshadow Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    So is that really all it boils down to is....where you want to devote your energy? So lets say I do a warm up and then I do weights. Then I regain some energy and maybe an hour later I go for a 2 hr hike. Would this be beneficial or am I kind of spinning my wheels?

I'm just curious because often I have to split things up due to time restraints.

Thanks for all the responses btw!
  • beautifulmessxox
    Options
    Funny you ask~ I was reading "Fitness" magazine at the gym on Friday. It said if you are trying to lose weight, do cardio FIRST & then lift. If you are trying to build muscle, lift & then do cardio.

Hope this helps! :)