Weight loss apathy

Hey everyone. Since I’ve joined and started taking a more proactive approach to my health like, 40 days ago, I’ve lost 12 pounds. The doctor told me that’s a pretty good thing.

The thing is, I feel nothing. I don’t feel different, my clothes don’t feel different, but the biggest thing is emotionally.

I’m not happy for myself, proud of myself, sad for myself, anything. It’s just “meh”. Other people are proud of me, but for some reason, I’m not excited about this like they are.

I’m going to talk to a psychiatrist about this too but I just wanted to see if anyone else had a similar experience and how they were able to understand what they were feeling.

Thank you :)

Replies

• goal06082021
    goal06082021 Posts: 2,130 Member
    It's good that you're planning to consult a mental health professional - I can't diagnose you through the internet (or at all, I'm not a MH pro), but what you describe sure rhymes with depression IME. The good news is that depression is a treatable problem, no matter what your jerkbrain tells you about itself.
  • antonia_yes
    antonia_yes Posts: 70 Member
    Maybe you could have a fitness goal? Being able to say 'losing weight has enabled me to walk all the way up that hill for the amazing view' or 'keep up with my friends at a theme park' or something might be more inspiring than just losing a number to be a smaller number.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,481 Member
    Well it could be that you're not excited because if you see no physical change, BUT you had to change your eating lifestyle and aren't happy with it, that it's the "what's the point" attitude. Very common. The first 10lbs or so will mostly be water weight drop initially. So if you take that into consideration, you may have only lost 2lbs of fat over 40 days. That's usually not going to show a lot of physical difference, especially if you have a lot of weight to lose.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • murcelley
    murcelley Posts: 4 Member
    Kupla71 wrote: »
    I’ve lost 10 pounds over the past 2 months and feel the same as you. I don’t feel excited about it. I actually feel kind of blah. I’m going to stick with the plan but thought I would feel thrilled to lose weight. I probably have a low grade depression that I hope will lift soon. My mood has been low for a while. My doctor and dietician both say I’m doing great with the weight loss. I take an anti depressant and have seen a therapist in the past which helped immensely. Maybe I need to review what I learned in therapy to make it fresh in my mind again. I hope you feel better and can join others in feeling proud and happy for you.

It’s actually pretty validating to hear that it’s not just me. My doc and dietician said the same. I’m also on an antidepressant and have been in therapy for grief related things. I’m also a social worker and a therapist. It might sound weird but would you be down with like, being buds?
  • murcelley
    murcelley Posts: 4 Member
    Maybe you could have a fitness goal? Being able to say 'losing weight has enabled me to walk all the way up that hill for the amazing view' or 'keep up with my friends at a theme park' or something might be more inspiring than just losing a number to be a smaller number.

You know, externalizing a goal like that could help. Like, I was doing this primarily for my internal health, and did set a goal to reach the 20th lb off by the time I go for family vacation in July. But maybe for something that’s like, just mine and I can see and notice might help.

Thank you :)
  • wunderkindking
    wunderkindking Posts: 1,615 Member
    I am not excited or proud about weight loss. I am 'happy' (in a mild way) in general about various things I can do or wear now that I've lost quite a lot and am more fit, I enjoy feeling better. I like validation that what I am doing working, but weight loss is not a thing I experience strong emotion about.

It just... is?

(I am not depressed. You may be. I get plenty excited about other things. Losing weight is just a thing I've done because it needed doing. It's not a massive part of my life, emotionally or otherwise.)
  • Beverly2Hansen
    Beverly2Hansen Posts: 378 Member
    I relate to how you feel. I didn't feel positive about my own weightloss until I hit 15lbs. I strongly suspect once I hit 30lbs I'm going to feel proud. Unfortunately initial quick results weren't sustainable for me so my overall weightloss is slower than I'd like it to be.
  • wunderkindking
    wunderkindking Posts: 1,615 Member
    I was doing the laundry this evening and realized this is about how I feel about weight loss.

I don't hate it. It isn't torture. It doesn't make me miserable. I like the results and get some satisfaction from having done the job. I like that my favorite clothes are available. I enjoy not having it hanging over my head as something I know I need to do but haven't, or worrying about the laundry that's piling up while I don't do it.

But I sure as heck am not super proud or excited having done it.

Same thing, I think.

• TakeTheLongWayHome
    TakeTheLongWayHome Posts: 816 Member
    It is definitely more fun being fit rather than fat, but no, it hasn’t made me more happy to have done it. I lost 80 lbs and when I look in the mirror and see all the saggy skin that I don’t know if it will ever somewhat snap back, it bums me out that I could have ever let myself get to that point. I just move forward tho, because lamenting the past won’t change the future. I know what I have to do to maintain and I focus on that. I wish you the best on your journey. 🤘🏼