Rising food prices?

2»

Replies

• suzij27
    suzij27 Posts: 199 Member
    Rising prices on consumer goods.
    1. Inflation has hit and is rising after many years of no inflation, or extremely low rates.
    2. Some industries supply chains are still impacted by the pandemic. Not food as much as other goods, but over the past few months there have been articles on glass bottles, plastic containers and other food packaging being hard for manufacturers to obtain, especially smaller producers.
    3. Many ranchers sold off cattle in the pandemic. I believe what I read was that they couldn’t afford to feed them because demand was down so they sold some off.
    4. The big freeze in Southern states back in February damaged a lot of the crops. Livestock was lost as well, especially chickens.
    5. Transportation costs have increased because there aren’t enough truck drivers post-pandemic.

These are some of the reasons for rising prices. I am just recalling what I’ve read over the past few months to put together the bigger picture. Oh, and I saw a story on the news this weekend that packaged products manufacturers are shrinking their boxes again. The 12.8 Oz box of cereal in going down to 11.4 (or ?) to reduce costs. And the manufacturers know most people aren’t going to initially notice.
  • Theoldguy1
    Theoldguy1 Posts: 2,454 Member
    suzij27 wrote: »
    1. Inflation has hit and is rising after many years of no inflation, or extremely low rates.
    2. Some industries supply chains are still impacted by the pandemic. Not food as much as other goods, but over the past few months there have been articles on glass bottles, plastic containers and other food packaging being hard for manufacturers to obtain, especially smaller producers.
    3. Many ranchers sold off cattle in the pandemic. I believe what I read was that they couldn’t afford to feed them because demand was down so they sold some off.
    4. The big freeze in Southern states back in February damaged a lot of the crops. Livestock was lost as well, especially chickens.
    5. Transportation costs have increased because there aren’t enough truck drivers post-pandemic.

These are some of the reasons for rising prices. I am just recalling what I’ve read over the past few months to put together the bigger picture. Oh, and I saw a story on the news this weekend that packaged products manufacturers are shrinking their boxes again. The 12.8 Oz box of cereal in going down to 11.4 (or ?) to reduce costs. And the manufacturers know most people aren’t going to initially notice.

Don't forget fuel prices up close 50% in the US in the last year or so.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,961 Member
    suzij27 wrote: »

I believe in most cases ranchers slaughtered cattle rather than "selling it off." Who do you sell cattle to if demand is so low you can't afford to feed them? There aren't a lot of people buying cattle for pets.
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,242 Member
    Aldi opened a store in my area right at the beginning of the pandemic. My grocery bill was easily halved, even with still needing to go to Publix for certain things that Aldi doesn't carry. With very few exceptions, the quality of the food I've bought at Aldi has been more than acceptable for the price.

I do a good portion of my shopping at Aldi. I can't get everything there because of food restrictions (especially soy), but normally at least half of my shopping list every week I can get. When I started shopping there I was shocked how much I could get for such a small amount of money. Currently I do the Farmer's Market, Aldi, and Fresh Thyme. Once every couple of months I will also hit the Indian and Asian markets, Trader Joes, and a larger store like Meijer for those things I can't get elsewhere and stock up. Then a few times a year I will go to Costco. I am coming up on needing to make those extra trips soon... mostly Trader Joes and Costco.

While I have seen an increase I have easily been able to counter it by just being stricter with what I buy. I actually recently decreased my grocery budget and have had no problem sticking to it the majority of the time. I only seem to go over if I find a really great deal on meat so I stock up or if it's just a stock up time.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,886 Member
    edited June 2021
    Oh, another trick I've learned is that many trendy items can be bought for much less at ethnic grocery stores if you have them around. A regular or high-end supermarket will charge you an arm and a leg for what's a staple for everyone, regardless of income level, in another country.

Oh, yes, anyone into Asian food and near Boston, MA should check out Kam Man in Quincy - it's a super Walmart-sized store full of staples for many different Asian cuisines.

http://www.kamman.com/quincy

They also have stores in NY and NJ.
  • ReenieHJ
    ReenieHJ Posts: 9,724 Member
    Living in a small town we have a locally owned grocery store, where I do most of my shopping and then a smaller chain store where I go only when they're having good enough deals. I go to a natural food store when I need spices because they sell in bulk and it's so much cheaper.
    But Aldi's, Costco, and all those types of stores we don't have closer than a 90 drive. We do have Shaw's about 20 miles away but I've only had limited experience with them. We just don't have the options here. I guess my main issue is buying things we(he) really needs, like Diet Coke. :( Even on sale we easily spend 20 bucks a week just on soda. :/ But if anyone tries to take away my B&J's ice cream, beware. :)
    He and I just have different priorities and ways of spending money I guess; Just have to learn to accept it and let it go.
  • kshama2001
    ReenieHJ wrote: »
    Living in a small town we have a locally owned grocery store, where I do most of my shopping and then a smaller chain store where I go only when they're having good enough deals. I go to a natural food store when I need spices because they sell in bulk and it's so much cheaper.
    But Aldi's, Costco, and all those types of stores we don't have closer than a 90 drive. We do have Shaw's about 20 miles away but I've only had limited experience with them. We just don't have the options here. I guess my main issue is buying things we(he) really needs, like Diet Coke. :( Even on sale we easily spend 20 bucks a week just on soda. :/ But if anyone tries to take away my B&J's ice cream, beware. :)
    He and I just have different priorities and ways of spending money I guess; Just have to learn to accept it and let it go.

I imagine it is the same here in MA - Shaw's has great loss leaders but their non-sale prices are higher than all the other stores I go to.

There is a Shaw's a mile from me so I go there every time they have good sales. I was there this AM, and then to Walmart for staples - it's a mile away in the other direction.

When I move in the fall the nearest Shaw's will be 13 miles away and I imagine I will go far less often.
  • kshama2001
    glassyo wrote: »
    And gas. Why does gas never go on sale?

I've always been pretty cheap but I started low key watching how much I paid for food once my very possibly not having a job ongoing scare started. So I'm going more with store brand items and buying like the bigger bags of cereal (to the detriment of my tendency to stick my hand in there for handfuls that I never weigh and log). I'm also going to the dollar store more for items I normally buy.

I use the Stop & Shop rewards program to get discounts on gas. The particular Stop & Shop gas station happens to be in an area where prices are lower than elsewhere to start with, or I wouldn't bother.

My mom is a member of BJ's and gets gas there.
  • LazyBlondeChef
    LazyBlondeChef Posts: 2,809 Member
    The only things I save on are things I can buy at Costco in bulk. Quality food is important to me especially when it comes to meat and seafood so I'll continue to splurge on that. If I'm ever in the position of having to cut back it'll be in other areas of my life. Luckily the Kroger Simple Truth (Organic) brand is pretty good quality and cheaper than national brands or some of the smaller specialized brands.
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,585 Member
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    glassyo wrote: »
    And gas. Why does gas never go on sale?

I've always been pretty cheap but I started low key watching how much I paid for food once my very possibly not having a job ongoing scare started. So I'm going more with store brand items and buying like the bigger bags of cereal (to the detriment of my tendency to stick my hand in there for handfuls that I never weigh and log). I'm also going to the dollar store more for items I normally buy.

I use the Stop & Shop rewards program to get discounts on gas. The particular Stop & Shop gas station happens to be in an area where prices are lower than elsewhere to start with, or I wouldn't bother.

My mom is a member of BJ's and gets gas there.

I rarely even drive anymore...not if I can walk somewhere. I only ever really drive to work now so basically fill up my gas talk once every two to three weeks.
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    I haven't noticed but of course they will be going up because minimum wage is going up. It is unfortunate but it is just how it works. I know wegmans raises their prices every few years.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,388 Member
    But Aldi's, Costco, and all those types of stores we don't have closer than a 90 drive. We do have Shaw's about 20 miles away but I've only had limited experience with them. We just don't have the options here. I guess my main issue is buying things we(he) really needs, like Diet Coke. :( Even on sale we easily spend 20 bucks a week just on soda. :/But if anyone tries to take away my B&J's ice cream, beware. :)

But do you really need it? If money is an issue then this would probably be among the first things to go. Or be replaced by a store brand
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,129 Member
    yirara wrote: »
    But Aldi's, Costco, and all those types of stores we don't have closer than a 90 drive. We do have Shaw's about 20 miles away but I've only had limited experience with them. We just don't have the options here. I guess my main issue is buying things we(he) really needs, like Diet Coke. :( Even on sale we easily spend 20 bucks a week just on soda. :/But if anyone tries to take away my B&J's ice cream, beware. :)

But do you really need it? If money is an issue then this would probably be among the first things to go. Or be replaced by a store brand

Store brand Diet Coke is rank, there is no substitute lol (Aldi's is the closest I've tasted but still has an awful aftertaste). I'd give up all of my streaming services and all other "luxuries" before I give up my Diet Coke habit. I did switch to sodastream which saves me a packet on sparkling water though!

@ReenieHJ have you thought about buying stuff in bulk online? I imagine the US has far better options for this than we have here in Ireland but I usually stock up on larger packs or get them from cash & carry.
  • ReenieHJ

Oh I agree completely. It's his habit, not mine. :/ I gave it up years ago and am so glad I did. Between soda, cigarettes and lottery tickets, I don't even want to know how much money we could be saving. :( If any of it was healthy it'd be different. I have a weakness myself and that's plain no fat yogurt that gets expensive but it's my main food group. :)
    I guess all I can do is what I do and let it go, to be his thing. Just had to vent a bit so I don't make him all grumpy at me for saying anything to him directly. :)
  • ReenieHJ

Store brand Diet Coke is rank, there is no substitute lol (Aldi's is the closest I've tasted but still has an awful aftertaste). I'd give up all of my streaming services and all other "luxuries" before I give up my Diet Coke habit. I did switch to sodastream which saves me a packet on sparkling water though!

@ReenieHJ have you thought about buying stuff in bulk online? I imagine the US has far better options for this than we have here in Ireland but I usually stock up on larger packs or get them from cash & carry.

We used to shop bulk, back when we were a family of 5 and I had a daycare in my home. It was almost worth it but even then we found over buying was an easy thing to do. Now there's really no reason to buy bulk because the prices are just as good when I shop the sales for things we need. And I need to compare my 2 main stores as well because there can be quite a discrepancy in prices as well as quality.
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    edited June 2021

Oh I agree completely. It's his habit, not mine. :/ I gave it up years ago and am so glad I did. Between soda, cigarettes and lottery tickets, I don't even want to know how much money we could be saving. :( If any of it was healthy it'd be different. I have a weakness myself and that's plain no fat yogurt that gets expensive but it's my main food group. :)
    I guess all I can do is what I do and let it go, to be his thing. Just had to vent a bit so I don't make him all grumpy at me for saying anything to him directly. :)

I used to drink a 24oz diet soda a day but gave it up. Saved so much. If only I could quit my 2 pack of gum a day and 3 pack of SF instant pudding habit. Ugh.
  • Rhumax67
    Rhumax67 Posts: 162 Member
    For the last 2 months I've been using Misfits Market. If they deliver in your area, it might be worth a look. They have a $30 minimum + $5 shipping. I've been getting deliveries twice a month (It's just 2 of us) & I only get fresh fruit & veggies. They sell organic. Examples from this week: Romaine $1.49, 12 oz green beans 2.58, broccolini 1.49. They are misfits. Sometimes a melon will be on the small side or an English cuke almost as long as a baseball bat. One week the romaine was really small so the next time I ordered 2 & of course they were huge. For me, it has been a savings. I don't normally buy organic but I do buy a lot of fresh produce.