Help Needed - Can't seem to lose weight

So in April this year, around 21st, I started eating 1,400 cal a day. Im a 5"8 123kg male. April I was 134.4kg so I lost 10kg so far but since 6 days ago my weight wont budge at all!

I do 30 minutes of intense cycling on a gym bike as well but nothing seems to help. Am I eating too few calories? or too much ? what can I do? thanks

Replies

• goal06082021
    goal06082021 Posts: 2,130 Member
    6 days is nothing, hun. Trust the process.

I will say that you are probably eating too little - 1400 is below the minimum MFP will set for a male, and that's almost half your maintenance calories assuming you're sedentary - an even smaller proportion if you're at all active. Go through the guided setup here - it's under My Home > Goals on the desktop site or hamburger menu > Goals on the Android app, I assume iOS is the same. Set your loss to 1lb or 1.5lb per week - technically, at your size, you could aim for 2lb per week and do that safely, but you don't have to for sure. Choose an activity level that describes you when you aren't exercising on purpose - do you have a desk job? Or do you do a lot of standing, walking, carrying stuff for work? Those would represent different activity levels.

If the "intense cycling" is also a new thing in the past week, that's also masking fat loss with water retention.
  • Lhenderson923
    Lhenderson923 Posts: 102 Member
    Like pp said, six days means nothing. It’s completely normal for the scale to not move every single week for various reasons. What you need is more patience. Just keep doing what your doing, log accurately (with a food scale), and the weight loss will catch up. Great job on loosing 10kg so far!
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,462 Member
    Agree that 6 days is not a reason to change anything. Especially something that has been working. Did you happen to increase your workout in terms of time or intensity? Newly stressed muscles retain water. It’s a common complaint here.

Your program seems to be very aggressive. I’ll agree that your calorie target is likely too low. No, you won’t lose more eating more. That’s not how it works. But weight loss has 2 parts- eating in a calorie deficit and living with it. There’s a tendency to go all in on the deficit and try to beat ourselves into living with it. Then there’s an emphasis on speed to end the suffering ASAP. Generally doesn’t work.

Plus rapid weight loss will soon start coming at the expense of lean muscle mass. I assume you don’t want that. Try recalculating a deficit to lose 1 lb per week starting at your current weight. Your brain is probably screaming right now that’s much too slow. But the truth is that your brain will wreck you if you let it. It takes a lot of persistence to lose a significant amount. What happens in one week or even one month doesn’t matter much.
  • candysashab88
    candysashab88 Posts: 71 Member
    ive noticed that i was 3 lbs lighter two days ago, then today on the scale.....I have changed NOTHING, This is my second week in trying to reduce. Is this normal? Should I just weigh myself once a week? BTW- i noticed after a strength training class I feel heavier in the legs, or maybe I'm just sore. Anyhow I sound like a crazy person but i find it odd
  • lmf1012
    lmf1012 Posts: 402 Member
    ive noticed that i was 3 lbs lighter two days ago, then today on the scale.....I have changed NOTHING, This is my second week in trying to reduce. Is this normal? Should I just weigh myself once a week? BTW- i noticed after a strength training class I feel heavier in the legs, or maybe I'm just sore. Anyhow I sound like a crazy person but i find it odd

From day to day the scale will fluctuate up, down, or stay the same. Totally normal!! Weight loss does not work the way we want it to, losing a little every single day. I enter my daily weights into an app that shows me a trend line over time, and as long as it points downward, I pay no attention to the day to day numbers. You can also weigh in less often if the fluctuations are too frustrating to see.