Struggling with LOW CARB, high protein meal ideas

2»

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Thank you @cwolfman13 , this is very helpful and has been the way things are shaping up for me. Which veggies do you tend to eat more?

I eat all kinds of veggies. I like variety, so all kinds. Broccoli, asparagus, green beans, peas, carrots, tomatoes, cucumber, peppers, greens, onions, mushrooms, brussels sprouts, cauliflower, cabbage...pretty much name it and I eat it.
  • nicsflyingcircus
    nicsflyingcircus Posts: 2,379 Member
    diannadlr wrote: »
    I calculated my macros and started eating the right balance for my loss goals. (There are a bunch of calculators for free online). I’ve found some of the best low carb high protein items are lean red meat, turkey breast cutlets (about 30 grams per serving and only 2 carbs!) also, a yogurt brand I like is Esti- 20+ grams of protein a serving. I keep a lot of my recipes on my Instagram page (not sure if it’s allowed to post here, feel free to delete if not - @diannascooking)

Why would turkey breast cutlets have any carbs?
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    Thank you @cwolfman13 , this is very helpful and has been the way things are shaping up for me. Which veggies do you tend to eat more?

I eat all kinds of veggies. I like variety, so all kinds. Broccoli, asparagus, green beans, peas, carrots, tomatoes, cucumber, peppers, greens, onions, mushrooms, brussels sprouts, cauliflower, cabbage...pretty much name it and I eat it.

To add to this, even when I'm doing lower carb when I'm cutting weight I still eat grains and starches...but typically it is at one meal instead of all three.

And as others have said, it isn't necessary to lose weight. And as I said earlier, the only reason I do it is because I don't log or anything, so cutting back on the grains and starches for a couple meals is an easy way to cut back on a few hundred calories.
  • WilliamMarshall1219
    WilliamMarshall1219 Posts: 4 Member
    Going very low carbs can be tricky because they are in veg. I find on a calorie restriction, eating lots of fibre and protein is satiating and prevents me feeling (too) hungry. A couple of tricks I use are
    - don't use an even split across the day. Higher carbs around training time. Also last meal having bit more carbs than others helps stop me waking up in the night hungry. So hit to the totals, but flex them over the day to help you make meals.
    - avoid veg that grows under the ground, and preference veg that grows above it. Below ground stuff has much more carbs.
    - eat as much as you can of low carb veg to fill up. So mushrooms, celery, fibrous greens etc.
    - cauliflower rice (or broccoli stalk rice) is a life saver!
    - add loads of spices to save the meals being boring. Soups are all well and good, but a killer low carb stir-fry leaves you wanting for nothing further.
    - Fats are important but sometimes I flex down fats a little in order to hit my macros if I fancy say a tub of cottage cheese (protein and carbs 4cal\g but fat is 9cal\g)
    - become a master of egg white omelettes (my technique is to get the pan hot, pour in eggwhite with one or two extra whole eggs, then put a lid on and reduce the heat) and other protein based meals.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,953 Member
    Going very low carbs can be tricky because they are in veg. I find on a calorie restriction, eating lots of fibre and protein is satiating and prevents me feeling (too) hungry. A couple of tricks I use are
    - don't use an even split across the day. Higher carbs around training time. Also last meal having bit more carbs than others helps stop me waking up in the night hungry. So hit to the totals, but flex them over the day to help you make meals.
    - avoid veg that grows under the ground, and preference veg that grows above it. Below ground stuff has much more carbs.
    - eat as much as you can of low carb veg to fill up. So mushrooms, celery, fibrous greens etc.
    - cauliflower rice (or broccoli stalk rice) is a life saver!
    - add loads of spices to save the meals being boring. Soups are all well and good, but a killer low carb stir-fry leaves you wanting for nothing further.
    - Fats are important but sometimes I flex down fats a little in order to hit my macros if I fancy say a tub of cottage cheese (protein and carbs 4cal\g but fat is 9cal\g)
    - become a master of egg white omelettes (my technique is to get the pan hot, pour in eggwhite with one or two extra whole eggs, then put a lid on and reduce the heat) and other protein based meals.

Why not just figure out which veg are lower carb? That generalization isn't universal enough to be helpful, IMO. Radishes (roots) are fairly low carb (low everything, except some micros). Beans and corn are some of the higher-carb common vegetables, and they grow above ground.