Coffee creamer

I can't seem to give up my Caramel Macchioto coffee creamer! It costs me 200 calories at breakfast, which is more than my breakfast alone...how can I switch it up, but still enjoy that creamy goodness? SF coffee syrup maybe?

Replies

• SuzySunshine99
    SuzySunshine99 Posts: 2,983 Member
    I can't seem to give up my Caramel Macchioto coffee creamer! It costs me 200 calories at breakfast, which is more than my breakfast alone...how can I switch it up, but still enjoy that creamy goodness? SF coffee syrup maybe?

It takes A LOT of coffee creamer to get to 200 calories...how much are you using?
    Maybe just try reducing the amount...slowly if you have to...until you get to a number that fits your calorie goal better.

You could also use milk instead, and then maybe add a little of the creamer you like to get the flavor.
    Sugar free syrup could give you the sweetness you want.

In the end, you don't have to give up anything that you love. But, to make it fit in your calorie goal, you might need to moderate the amount that you use.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,886 Member

It takes A LOT of coffee creamer to get to 200 calories...how much are you using?
    Maybe just try reducing the amount...slowly if you have to...until you get to a number that fits your calorie goal better.

You could also use milk instead, and then maybe add a little of the creamer you like to get the flavor.
    Sugar free syrup could give you the sweetness you want.

In the end, you don't have to give up anything that you love. But, to make it fit in your calorie goal, you might need to moderate the amount that you use.

Another vote for using less. Cutting with milk to decrease the calories is a great idea. I use 1 teaspoon half & half plus 60 g 1% milk in my coffee. (And 6 g sugar.)
  • VegjoyP
    VegjoyP Posts: 2,708 Member
    TI suggest sugar free caramel Nutpod with cocoa powder. 1 tbspNitpod is 10 calories. Cocoa is 10 or 20 calories depending on brand. There are also sugar free syrups- my favorite is Skinny syrups salted caramel
  • wunderkindking
    wunderkindking Posts: 1,615 Member
    My answer to this is either:
    Sugar free coffee syrup + whole cup of almond milk (30, total)&
    Or cup of almond milk + reduced calorie swiss miss cocoa powder. (75 total)
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,403 Member
    edited June 2021
    Silk plain cashew milk is 25 calories per cup and is excellent in coffee. I use half a cup.

I add an ounce of zero calorie skinny syrup. The caramel cheesecake flavor lends a very creamy taste.

Net 15 calories for a large 2 cup mug of tasty coffee.
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
    edited June 2021
    a) If you can accommodate the calories, you don't have to give it up! If it gives you a bit more pep in the morning, then it's totally worth it.

b) The Starbucks one is only 40kcal/tbs. You could use less.

c) You can substitute for something else, like frothed whole milk, agave syrup, and various spices (cinnamon, cocoa powder, etc.) Of course, you have to do the math to make sure it actually has fewer calories.

d) You could do what I did 30 years ago and give up coffee, switching to tea, which tastes good with 1% milk.

• lexcoulstring
    lexcoulstring Posts: 386 Member
    Would you like some coffee with your cream... JK :p I had to slowly cut my amount of cream in my coffee until I was fine with it near black.
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
    Would you like some coffee with your cream... JK :p I had to slowly cut my amount of cream in my coffee until I was fine with it near black.

I loved coffee until I found that it gave me cramping. (Initially, when exercising in the afternoon. Now, I get stomach upset almost immediately.) So, I quit it about 30 years ago. My point is that something that requires a ton of added sugar and flavorings to consume might be something that you actually don't like.
  • KobiHensley
    KobiHensley Posts: 78 Member
    I used flavored coffee, then add Chobani creamer, they have many flavors and it only has 25 calories a tablespoon for the chocolate hazelnut. Sometimes I live on the edge and add Challenge Light whipped cream, 20 calories for 2 tablespoons.
  • LaBellaHarris
    LaBellaHarris Posts: 63 Member
    Yeah, if you're using that much creamer, it might just be that you're brewing bad coffee. How old are your beans? Or: Try different roasts! Do a round-the-world tasting throughout the week, where you drink coffee from a different country every morning until you find one you like. I love the taste of my creamer, but I'm only using a tablespoon worth per cup, because my medium roast is good.

The other thing might be having less coffee. My mom and I both drink a pot of coffee every morning, but the difference is that her pot makes 12 cups and mine only makes 4; just getting a smaller pot can be great for cutting back.
  • Bridgie3
    Bridgie3 Posts: 139 Member
    edited March 2022

Luckily I don't know what this is; but from a low carb point of view, if it's sugar, find a sugar free version; and if it's fat from cream (ie natural fat, not some creepy test tube product), go hard and value that fat, and cut out something else.

We need natural fat in our lives and giving it up is probably not good for us. But fake caramel flavour made of cancer-causing chemicals and death, laced with HFCS could probably go.

What about caramelising some sugar, and then using that in your coffee together with whipped cream. Do the real thing.

Or - cafe Nero?
    dip the rim of a glass/cup into lemon juice, then sugar. Pour in some galliano into the cup/glass, then set it on fire, and twirl the cup/glass till the sugar around the rim is melted.

Then pour in coffee and lastly whipped cream. Delicious.

• Xellercin
    Xellercin Posts: 924 Member
    Try regular milk instead?