Nustep or Teeter Bikes?

Options
CeeBeeSlim
CeeBeeSlim Posts: 1,265 Member
Anyone use these and love them? Need something for my mom’s rehab. It’s hard for her to walk and to be honest, it’s hard to get her on any machine - a treadmill (gait issues) or recumbent bike - knee issue. I’m hoping one of these may be the answer. They look huge and are pricey but I’ve seen some deals here and there.

Replies

• tbilly20
    tbilly20 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I have used the Nustep in cardiac rehabilitation. For me the positioning was abnormal. I am used to having my knee in a very specific position, over pedal, on a bike, and I like the upright feel of a traditional elliptical. My tendency was to push hard and nearly come off the seat. For the patient you described in your post, this could be perfect! They are pricey, as you stated, but they are reliable and proven to work well for a less-mobile user.
  • YellowD0gs
    YellowD0gs Posts: 693 Member
    edited March 2021
    Options
    I also use NuSteps in Cardiac rehab, and they can be a workout. I don't have that much experience with biking, so didn't have any expectations on how they should feel or how they should be worked, so maybe it came a bit easier for me. But would agree, big and pricey and proven effective.
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I had never heard of either of these and was curious. Seems like they'd be great. Sunny Health has one on Amazon for like $599. Sunny is a decent value brand. Perhaps that price point might be easier to swallow to see if she likes it and would use it. You could always sell and upgrade later. Has solid ratings.
  • astod4
    astod4 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    *Disclaimer* I’m coming at this from a physical therapy standpoint because I’m working on my DPT right now. NuStep is something used in a physical therapy clinic to help get a patient’s heart rate up prior to treatment. It’s a great way to get a good workout in and it’s a safe machine to use for people of almost all ages. If your mom can’t use those other things for health reasons, NuStep is a great option.
  • MargaretYakoda
    MargaretYakoda Posts: 2,390 Member
    Options
    We have the NuStep TR5 and we ADORE it!

Husband was an athlete and almost a 3rd degree black belt when the strokes hit. He can’t go out and run anymore because it is unsafe due to dementia. But he can use the NuStep. We bought it a little over a year ago and he has dropped his use of insulin by 1/4. Which is huge since he needed so much. His A1C dropped a full point also.

I have a balance disorder and can barely walk. I have gained a lot of weight. I was using the NuStep a few times a week…. But in February I learned I was diabetic. I found out because I woke up and couldn’t feel my toes.

Anyhow…. I got on metformin, and started getting serious about losing weight. I do 45 minutes to 90 minutes every day on the NuStep. I am now at a point where I feel like I’m flying. And I LOVE IT.
    My A1C is now in a normal range. Just barely. But I’m not complaining.

NuStep. It’s expensive, but if you’re disabled? It’s perfect.

• astod4
    astod4 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    One thing that’s so nice about the NuStep is that the seat can rotate which makes it super convenient and easy to use. That way you don’t have to step over a middle bar which can be very dangerous for those who are considered at risk for falls.
  • MargaretYakoda
    MargaretYakoda Posts: 2,390 Member
    Options
    astod4 wrote: »
    One thing that’s so nice about the NuStep is that the seat can rotate which makes it super convenient and easy to use. That way you don’t have to step over a middle bar which can be very dangerous for those who are considered at risk for falls.

EXACTLY!
    We have the extra wide seat, and not only is it comfy to exercise on? We turn it sideways and use it as a chair in our tiny living room whenever someone’s not exercising on it.
    We do have a step platform next to it so a person can sit comfortably without their feet dangling.

Also? I have a balance disorder and the half-circle grab bar under the display is solid as a rock. Makes getting on and off very safe.