Help! 2 weeks to get my fitness level up

Hi MFP! 👋
I'm looking for advice.
I'm a UK scuba diving instructor and thus, even though it's a volunteer position, I need an HSE medical.
In preparation, I've been exercising 6x per week - 3 swims for 30- 45 mins and 3 Resistance bands workouts with the occasional cardio dance fitness workouts instead. I also yoga once a week. I burn (according to my garmin) 400 calories for the RB and 250 for the swims.
I also walk the dog every day.
I've been doing this for about 3 months. My RHR is 55.
I failed in the step test with an average HR of 120, (max 134), RPE of 9(light) to 13 (somewhat hard) and SATS of 99 to 95 over the time.
I apparently scored 31 and the pass limit is 40.
If it helps, I'm female, 41, 5.4 and 11 stone.
Soooo... since I failed the blimmin thing, I've got 2 weeks to "do some exercise that raises my heart rate " so that I can somehow pass...
Any advice on how to increase my fitness in those said 2 weeks?!
(Oh, I've just started a spin class. I've only done 2 sessions so doesn't really count in my 'history' above.).

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Generally speaking, increased fitness results in a lower HR for the same work performed.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    What do you have to do exactly to pass the test?
  • skinnyrev2b
    skinnyrev2b Posts: 400 Member
    It's called a step test. Basically, step up an aerobics box to the beat. Beat one, first leg up. Beat 2, second leg. Beat 3 - 1 leg down, 4 - 2nd leg down.
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,582 Member
    Sooooooo step aerobics? :) But, yeah, normally the fitter you are, the lower your resting heart rate. It sounds like they want you to...er...step it up while actually doing the exercise. Can you get them to change the beat??? 😀
  • dolorsit
    dolorsit Posts: 92 Member
    If it is that, first of all it sounds a bit suspect depending on a totally artificial max heart rate of 180-age, secondly it seems the goal is to reach higher stages of the test without your heart rate rising too much. For that you need to improve your cardio fitness typically by doing things like running and cycling. I'm not sure how much you're going to be able to improve in two weeks, but if it were me, I'd be running as much as I could sensibly do in the time available.
  • skinnyrev2b
    Thanks so much guys. I really appreciate you taking the time to respond.
    Yeah, we're not sure about the use of the rpe either. 1 is I'm asleep, 6 is very light exertion, 13 is somewhat hard (then "very hard (heavy)", "extremely" etc up to "severe - can't continue".
    I was giving mine as 6 ,very light, to - eventually, 13. My OH (who also failed) was much the same.
    We're going to start running- well, given my performance this eve, walk/staggering - for the next week or so, but I take your point @sijomial about being rested. We WERE wondering if the fact that neither of us slept well last night, and had a busy day, effected the heart rate component.
    Oh, and yes, easily able to talk (had to keep reading out the hr, sat and rpe numbers for her!) as well as easily keeping up. Maybe we DO need to ask her to speed it up. It did feel like we could keep going forever.
    Oh, she was also testing our lung capacity pre and post exercise and also heart rate recovery, so that may play into the calculations.
    But still, yeah, perhaps we just need to work out the test instead of trying to do the impossible of increasing fitness in 2 weeks.
  • iam4scuba
    iam4scuba Posts: 39 Member
    Are you sure the "40" wasn't referring to the VO2 max requirement? That may be a hard cutoff. Maybe ask the tester if they can perform an alternative test like the treadmill test if you think it may be inaccurate. If so, if you're at 31, even assuming a 15% error, you may be at about 35-36, so it may be difficult to get to 40 in 2 weeks.
  • skinnyrev2b
    Thanks @iamscuba, yeah, it seems it's a chester step test for vo2 max.
    Unfortunately, there isn't a treadmill available. It seems I'm stuck with doing what I can and crossing my fingers.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    about being rested. We WERE wondering if the fact that neither of us slept well last night, and had a busy day, effected the heart rate component.
    Oh, and yes, easily able to talk (had to keep reading out the hr, sat and rpe numbers for her!) as well as easily keeping up. Maybe we DO need to ask her to speed it up. It did feel like we could keep going forever.
    Oh, she was also testing our lung capacity pre and post exercise and also heart rate recovery, so that may play into the calculations.
    But still, yeah, perhaps we just need to work out the test instead of trying to do the impossible of increasing fitness in 2 weeks.

It's a bit of a strange and flawed test but you are stuck with it. No you can't ask the operator to speed it up, the pacing and duration is fixed.

In such a short time there's not much on the fitness level you can do (but do what you can!) but you can come off or substantially reduce your caffeine and make sure you haven't eaten just before the test to avoid elevating your HR through factors other than the exercise itself. Staying as cool as possible for the ten minutes will also help.

You can influence your heart rate recovery by over-breathing and ensuring you fill your lungs well - ever notice athletes after maximal efforts resist the urge to collapse or bend over and will remain standing with an open chest posture? Not that it seems to be part of the score (a sub-maximal effort VO2 max estimate based on HR response).

Longer term it's a bit of a conflict that for true VO2 max improvements you would be looking towards high intensity work (and losing weight!) but for this test it's biased towards a lower exercise HR which long steady cardio influences more.
  • MaltedTea
    MaltedTea Posts: 6,286 Member
    Another vote for what I'll call breathwork here. This is part my philosophy of quality of life extension, second only to adequate fibre intake 😂

While I tend to use/practice breathing techniques for pain management, it's also obviously handy for cardio and endurance efforts like your upcoming retest. And you can practice even when you're not exercising, per se!

Sounds like you really want to ace this test so all the best to you! Keep us posted!
  • Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,090 Member
    So did you do any particular exercise to improve your result?
  • skinnyrev2b
    Lietchi wrote: »

My husband and I did a lot of consecutive daily walk/runs (20min max per day, 1.66 measly miles!), interspersed with cycling (aver 12 miles) on days we really couldn't face staggering around the route again.

Not recommended for obvious reasons, but it seemed to work.

However... my OH and I - and the Dr herself - were all puzzled at the discrepancy in the readings (my OH also failed first time, passed second, albeit not quite so spectacularly). Jon and I are now thinking the equipment was probably at fault, either first or second - or both - times.

Either way, I'll continue to stagger around, cycle and swim. I'll also throw in some weights and yoga. Who knows. This time next year I may even do a Triathlon - if I can stop feeling like death warmed up on the runs!
  • MaltedTea
    MaltedTea Posts: 6,286 Member
    Kudos for getting it done!!
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,935 Member
    Lietchi wrote: »

My husband and I did a lot of consecutive daily walk/runs (20min max per day, 1.66 measly miles!), interspersed with cycling (aver 12 miles) on days we really couldn't face staggering around the route again.

Not recommended for obvious reasons, but it seemed to work.

However... my OH and I - and the Dr herself - were all puzzled at the discrepancy in the readings (my OH also failed first time, passed second, albeit not quite so spectacularly). Jon and I are now thinking the equipment was probably at fault, either first or second - or both - times.

Either way, I'll continue to stagger around, cycle and swim. I'll also throw in some weights and yoga. Who knows. This time next year I may even do a Triathlon - if I can stop feeling like death warmed up on the runs!

That. Is. Fabulous!

Giant congratulations on passing, and respect for all the hard work you put in to get there.

Inspiring!

P.S. Thanks for coming back and reporting results. I didn't post earlier, because others had covered the territory, but I did read the thread at the time. I always wonder how these things turn out! 😉
  • nossmf
    nossmf Posts: 8,883 Member
    Glad you were able to pass the test.

When I first joined the USAF in the late 90's, the fitness test given annually was to sit on a stationary bike with a heart-rate monitor strapped across the chest, then ride as the test administrator progressively increased the resistance on the pedals. Theoretically, the test was supposed to measure how well your heart responded to the change in intensity in a predictable fashion to determine fitness.

In reality, it was a complete joke which the USAF thankfully got rid of a couple years later. The failure rate was astronomically high, like in the 90% range. The stories surrounding it were plentiful... one person weighing 350+ pounds who smoked two packs a day passed, while a guy in my unit who finished in the top 100 overall in the Boston Marathon the previous year failed. One guy failed the test in the morning, then passed with flying colors that same afternoon. Ah, memories...
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Thanks for all your help guys - just reporting back to say "I PASSED!!!"
    It goes to show how flawed the test is, that I can go from 31 (average fitness for age, but a fail for the HSE requirements) to 56 (Goddess like).
    But I don't care. I passed. Yippee!

Well done!

:flowerforyou: