Decided to join WW

Options

Replies

• Ann262
    Ann262 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    carbos101 wrote: »
    I've read a few posts in the past of posters having WW memberships as well as counting calories. If I had the time to track both points/calories (and attend meetings) I might check out their info. Are meetings available online?

I don't know. I don't do meetings. I know they were doing Zoom meetings last year but they may have gone back to in person by now.
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't presume to really know why you got disagrees, but many people have come over here from WW. Perhaps they are not in agreement with your reasons. Then there are the people that are thinking "but you can do all that on MFP". Many of us do (including choosing foods that are healthy and filling). You can follow both of course, as i said before--whatever works is what you should do. It doesn't mean that it's a popular choice.
  • Speakeasy76
    Speakeasy76 Posts: 961 Member
    Options
    Good luck! One size does NOT fit all when it comes to weight loss, so if it works for you, that's all that matters! Obviously people who are on MFP are probably a little biased towards using MFP, but that doesn't mean it works for everyone trying to lose and maintain weight.

I think whatever weight loss method someone chooses, the most important things are having the right mindset about it and that the habits learned are something someone can keep up for life. I've done WW in the past and had some success, but honestly I think it was my mindset at the time--I wasn't ready to fully commit and felt that restricting would lead to bingeing (which it sometimes did). That was something I did with any weight loss attempt, though, so that wasn't specific to WW.
  • 33gail33
    33gail33 Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    glassyo wrote: »
    I wouldn't presume to really know why you got disagrees, but many people have come over here from WW. Perhaps they are not in agreement with your reasons. Then there are the people that are thinking "but you can do all that on MFP". Many of us do (including choosing foods that are healthy and filling). You can follow both of course, as i said before--whatever works is what you should do. It doesn't mean that it's a popular choice.

I would presume! :) I think it's this paragraph:
    WW gives me a way to lean into foods that nourish me and that I can eat in unlimited quantities. It is just that they are the types of foods that are generally low in fat and calories and are foods that I won't binge on. Poultry, eggs, seafood, fruits and veggies. It leaves me with enough room to have an occasional treat.

The bolded are a touch at odds with each other.

Not really. You CAN eat unlimited quantities of certain foods, but they are the types of foods that the OP is unlikely to want to overeat.
  • 33gail33
    Options
    33gail33 wrote: »

WW gives me a way to lean into foods that nourish me and that I can eat in unlimited quantities. It is just that they are the types of foods that are generally low in fat and calories and are foods that I won't binge on. Poultry, eggs, seafood, fruits and veggies. It leaves me with enough room to have an occasional treat.

Not really. You CAN eat unlimited quantities of certain foods, but they are the types of foods that the OP is unlikely to want to overeat.

No, I get that part. But the OP made it sound like you can eat those unlimited quantities and presumably still lose weight. WW (and no real hate here. I lost 90 lbs on it.) lists all these unlimited zero point foods but, if you actually DO eat unlimited quantities, it's gonna throw a wrench into the weight loss thing.

What you eat matters for satiety and fitness goals. How much for weight loss. I'm glad she found something that works but it's misleading. Eating unlimited quantities of chicken and broccoli is still going to cause weight gain if you go over your tdee.

I guess - but whenever someone on here insists that they got obese eating only healthy foods I just kind of go "hmmmm". I guess it's possible but I would think the more common scenario is that those food that are much harder to moderate and low in satiety are the main contributors to weight gain - not chicken and brocolli. And those hard to moderate foods are what you would spend points on. I imagine that is why the program is set up that way.
    Back when I lost weight on it every food had points and you had to count everything - so it was basically simplified calorie counting.
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,596 Member
    Options

No, I get that part. But the OP made it sound like you can eat those unlimited quantities and presumably still lose weight. WW (and no real hate here. I lost 90 lbs on it.) lists all these unlimited zero point foods but, if you actually DO eat unlimited quantities, it's gonna throw a wrench into the weight loss thing.

What you eat matters for satiety and fitness goals. How much for weight loss. I'm glad she found something that works but it's misleading. Eating unlimited quantities of chicken and broccoli is still going to cause weight gain if you go over your tdee.

I guess - but whenever someone on here insists that they got obese eating only healthy foods I just kind of go "hmmmm". I guess it's possible but I would think the more common scenario is that those food that are much harder to moderate and low in satiety are the main contributors to weight gain - not chicken and brocolli. And those hard to moderate foods are what you would spend points on. I imagine that is why the program is set up that way.
    Back when I lost weight on it every food had points and you had to count everything - so it was basically simplified calorie counting.

LOL yeah. When I was on it, we took their bmr test, got a range of points, and had 35 extra weekly plus any exercise points to play with. And it was easier to get all that info free on the internet. 😀

I've definitely seen a few people's accounts of eating healthy but still being overweight...because they ate to much of it.
  • wunderkindking
    wunderkindking Posts: 1,615 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

While I won't claim "only healthy foods", I for sure got obese eating what most people would call healthy foods as the majority of my diet: Veggies, whole grains, etc. Honestly, it's pretty easy to creep those portions up over a period of years, and to add *lots* of calories via "healthy" add ons (olive oil, full fat dairy, nuts, etc.). We're all different. I feel like sometimes people who got fat eating mostly more processed, less nutrient dense foods, and found nutrient-dense foods super helpful for satiation, are biased in their own kind of way by that experience.

It's hard for me to say which foods were the "main contributors to weight gain" for me, but I will say that it was easy, and still is, for me to eat an entire large roasted cabbage or big head of broccoli in one meal, by myself. Add a generous side of whole wheat pasta, a reasonably calorie-efficient cheese, fruit and nuts for dessert, and that gets to a reasonably high calorie level, without necessarily drenching anything in buckets of oil/fat or something.

I 100% know and acknowledge that it's not true for every other person on the planet, but I absolutely could blow my calorie goal on the WW plans that have the larger lists of free foods, if I treated those as entirely free/unlimited. Those plans would not work for me, but they do work great for some others.

Same. I mean I like and liked cake and ice cream and my MAJOR issues were assorted fats in condiments, but I can absolutely put down a days worth of calories and then some on whole wheat pasta with chicken and broccoli with tomato sauce - with or without the cheese, just MORE over calorie budget with the cheese. And that's just the one meal. Give me freedom to make my own oatmeal + skim milk + dried fruit I would add another 800 calories to my day.
  • wunderkindking
    edited June 2021
    Options

Oatmeal. Whole grain bread. Brown Rice. Whole grain pasta. Nuts/nut butters. Avocados. Those are all healthy. They're also high calorie and not particularly high volume. They are not the free foods on WW, no, but people here speaking generally about healthy diets that they got obese on, it's not ww specific.

And WW is not all free points. So you can get your satiating thing and have a whole lot left for other things if you're not also watching those.
  • 33gail33
    edited June 2021
    Options

Oatmeal. Whole grain bread. Brown Rice. Whole grain pasta. Nuts/nut butters. Avocados. Those are all healthy. They're also high calorie and not particularly high volume. They are not the free foods on WW, no, but people here speaking generally about healthy diets that they got obese on, it's not ww specific.

And WW is not all free points. So you can get your satiating thing and have a whole lot left for other things if you're not also watching those.

But they are also super filling/satiating. Idk I have never heard of anyone binge eating oatmeal, whole grain bread and brown rice, I wouldn't consider those foods generally that difficult to moderate, but I could be wrong.
    My point was that in general on WW those foods that are free aren't particularly "binge worthy" - I guess there will always be outliers - so yeah that program wouldn't work for them.
    Like I said I have never done the "free food" version, when I did it you had to count everything so it was just simplified calorie counting.
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,596 Member
    Options

But they are also super filling/satiating. Idk I have never heard of anyone binge eating oatmeal, whole grain bread and brown rice, I wouldn't consider those foods generally that difficult to moderate, but I could be wrong.
    My point was that in general on WW those foods that are free aren't particularly "binge worthy" - I guess there will always be outliers - so yeah that program wouldn't work for them.
    Like I said I have never done the "free food" version, when I did it you had to count everything so it was just simplified calorie counting.

They're binge worthy if you're desperate enough for food.

All of those are carbs and I would binge (and have in the loosest sense of the word) on all of them. "Healthy" oatmeal just as easily as "unhealthy" oreo cookies. In fact, *sigh* damn those S'moreos that have come back for a while. Best oreos ever.

The free foods list *are* more satiating foods but it's also sorta counting on intuitive eating now that I think about it. It's gonna work for some but not for others. There's no way in hell I would do as well on that plan as I did on the all points/5 free foods version.

But some have and can and do. :)

• wunderkindking
    edited June 2021
    Options

Also nuts/nut butter?

A cup of walnuts is 800 calories. A CUP. You don't have to binge those to blow through a reasonable calorie amount of them, just go 'they're nuts, they're healthy' and eat.

A tablespoon of PB is a hundred. I absolutely promise you that you combine that PB with some bread I could easily put down 4 sandwiches, each one conservative 600 calories (200 cals on whole grain bread, 4 tbsp of pb) :P Is that a healthy meal. No. Is it crazy? I don't know not me.

PB and an apple? Well the apple is 100. The 8 tablespoons of PB I ate with an apple 'spoon' sure adds up though, and that's a healthy snack WITH DIFFERENT PROPORTIONS.

Avocado? Man, even now I eat a whole one for lunch most days. It's a calorie bomb but it's a decently healthy food and worth it to me (mostly since most of my other fat has been cut as 'eh' to me). You turn it into a tub of guac with other healthy food (it's all veg) and throw it on some toast and yeah I could binge that.

It's all healthy FOOD though.

Also fat+Carbs are clearly my thing, whether it's cake or peanut butter or avocado on toast.
  • 33gail33
    Options

They're binge worthy if you're desperate enough for food.

All of those are carbs and I would binge (and have in the loosest sense of the word) on all of them. "Healthy" oatmeal just as easily as "unhealthy" oreo cookies. In fact, *sigh* damn those S'moreos that have come back for a while. Best oreos ever.

The free foods list *are* more satiating foods but it's also sorta counting on intuitive eating now that I think about it. It's gonna work for some but not for others. There's no way in hell I would do as well on that plan as I did on the all points/5 free foods version.

But some have and can and do. :)

Off topic but ... I honestly don't get oreos: what is so great about them? People think I am nuts when I say I don't like them. They don't even seem like food to me.

I do admit that I have and sometimes still do eat peanut butter right out of the jar. :) And those types of items are difficult to manage in a calorie deficit situation - I just can't imagine a healthy weight person eating enough of them on a daily basis to cause obesity to begin with - without the addition of high calorie snacks, desserts, fast food etc.

But again - that is just me there are lots of people who insist that it happens so who am I to argue about it.
  • Jackie9003
    Jackie9003 Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    I recently joined WW and am getting the hang of the concept behind the free foods, I tracked my points against the calories on here and they were actually very close most of the time.

I didnt join for the diet though as I prefer to do CICO, I joined for the accountability at the scales, my motivation comes from standing in front of someone and the desire to lose, not gain.
    The face to face meetings haven't started again yet but there are lots and lots of zoom groups and tutorials.