Thoughts on suppliments...

Options
0atmeel
0atmeel Posts: 160 Member
edited June 2021 in Health and Weight Loss
Any good ones out there for energy and weight loss? I am not looking to get bulky, but to get more energy on a daily basis. My goal is to lose about 25lbs and get into shape however I work a desk job and get tired as the day progesses so when I am off work, I don't want to do anything. I am looking for a little more pep to keep me going. Thoughts?

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    millerjr5 wrote: »
    Any good ones out there for energy and weight loss? I am not looking to get bulky, but to get more energy on a daily basis. My goal is to lose about 25lbs and get into shape however I work a desk job and get tired as the day progesses so when I am off work, I don't want to do anything. I am looking for a little more pep to keep me going. Thoughts?

Supplements don't really do anything for losing weight. There isn't any magic formula. Most energy supplements are primarily caffeine.

Supplements are really for supplementing something you're deficient in and/or not getting enough of with the food you eat. For example, people with viatmin D deficiencies as per their bloodwork take D supplements. People who don't get adequate protein in their diets or have lofty protein targets take protein supplements, etc.

I take a multi-vitamin (to cover my bases), Vitamin D (I'm deficient per my bloodwork) along with K2, Omega 3, and sometimes a whey protein supplement (though not as much as I used to because I'm not really training for anything and breaking my body down the way I used to).
  • goal06082021
    goal06082021 Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    The general vibe here is "supplements bad," or at least that's what I've gathered.

Can you work out in the mornings before work? I also have a desk job, I started working out in the mornings because I, too, don't want to do anything after sitting and staring at a computer for 8 hours, didn't want to stop on the way home, and knew I wouldn't go back out if I went home first. Exercising regularly will probably help with your energy levels more than any kind of supplement would. Black coffee is a decent pick-me-up, though - caffeine is a stimulant and appetite suppressant that is impossible to OD on (when taken in the form of brewed coffee or tea - caffeine pills like No-Doz, those you can eff yourself up with, skip those). If you take your coffee with sugar, though, the appetite-suppressant effect is considerably lessened.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    I would 2nd that regular exercise is very likely to help with energy levels. A body in motion stays in motion. Regular exercise also doesn't mean you have to be hitting the gym or doing some crushing workout. None of that appeals to me in the least. On the other hand, hitting the trails for awhile on my mountain bike after work for a little fun and exercise is a great way to de-stress from the day...or a road ride...or a hike...or a swim in the pool, etc. Do something you enjoy doing that is active...it is exercise and also fun.

Right now I do most of what I want to do in the morning before work because we're hitting 100+F already here and the heat kills me. That is mostly a nice walk with my wife and my dog and a travel mug of coffee. I get up early and do what I'm going to do with the sunrise. I have an indoor bike trainer at home so I get on that a couple times per week with my Zwift App and ride indoors with A/C and a big fan blowing in my face in the afternoon. I do most of my really fun stuff on weekends when I don't have to worry about work...though trail and road rides in the early evening in the fall are outstanding.
  • michelle_FR
    michelle_FR Posts: 191 Member
    edited June 2021
    Options
    coffeeeeee - barring that, vitamin D supplement perhaps? Turns out most of us are deficient, and it can really impact energy levels.*

But yeah also just start moving more and as contrary as it seems, that will end up giving you more energy.

*I am not a doctor, but I do play one on tv 👩‍⚕️
  • MargaretYakoda
    MargaretYakoda Posts: 2,296 Member
    Options
    You might get some benefit from an under desk exercise pedal system.
  • 33gail33
    33gail33 Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    https://bioclinicnaturals.com/en-ca/product/mitochondrial-formula-watermelon/

I take this - along with Vit D, B12 and curcumin supplements. Not sure how old you are but B12 deficiency is relatively common as we age regardless of diet.

• NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    It could be that you are low somewhere or it could be that like me you just need to get up and get moving around 2-2:30. I have a 10 minute half mile walk that I take that does wonders when I start to drag. Without that "break" it may not be a matter of being less productive it may be that I am fighting to stay awake so, for me, it is an easy investment of time to make.
  • 0atmeel
    0atmeel Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Be careful when asking for this type of advice........ some people will get very rude
    and judgmental at the idea for taking supplements for energy. I learned that the hard way!

Sorry to hear that. Thanks for the heads up! I just want to learn more about them is all. Who better to ask than people who may have tried then before.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,605 Member
    edited June 2021
    Options
    Who better to ask? Peer reviewed studies published in reputable publications.

When they don't exist, or show marginal or no effects, or side effects that exceed the benefits, you have your answer.

If I can't trust their answer because they're high, what's the benefit of going around asking people who are high whether they're having fun?!🤷🏻‍♂️

(Ok I will also generally check examine.com first to see whether it's worth continuing to check...)
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,428 Member
    Options
    If you’re asking if there’s a magic pill that drops weight and provided energy, no. If there were, we’d all be skinny and bouncing off the walls.

Some supplements can successfully help with specific things for specific users. After I complained of frequent muscle cramps, my doctor suggested magnesium citrate.

She also suggested a particular kind of sublingual (under tongue) b12 for tiredness. It helps, but doesn’t eliminate it.

I can definitively tell when I’ve missed either my B13 or magnesium, or when I had to go to a different brand of b12, after b12 became as hard to get as toilet paper during COVID.

All the other stuff she recommended (she’s very in to holistic solutions before going to medications, although I guess a pill is a pill is a pill) has had little or no result, and I’ve stopped taking them as the bottles emptied out. I was up to ten supplements a day and it was just outta hand.

So supplements are definitively a YMMV thing.

Don’t forget, if you’re on blood pressure, diabetes, blood thinners etc medications you really need to cross check with your pharmacist before taking them.
  • Speakeasy76
    Speakeasy76 Posts: 961 Member
    Options
    I don't recommend any for weight loss and have learned over a LONG period of time the best way to lose weight is good old-fashioned CICO along with a healthy dose of patience.

As far as energy, I've found my energy generally dips after lunch. I blame it on a couple of things things: that's when a lot of humans get that sleepy-feeling (hence siestas in some countries). So, if I've had a carb-heavy meal coupled with being sedentary, that is like a magic pill for me feeling sleepy. Add the possibility of being dehydrated, and it's even worse. I also found my blood iron level was low, and since supplementing my energy has generally been better

A couple of things I'd recommend is to make sure you're hydrated, make sure you're eating a balanced yet satisfying lunch and trying to get in a small bit of activity after lunch, even if only a 5 minute walk. I've also timed my one consumption of a caffeinated beverage (right now, cold brew coffee) at lunch. I actually drink decaf in the morning, more for the ritual of it, and save the real stuff for lunch. If you're not into coffee, tea works too.

I think others have already listed things like sleep hygiene and making sure blood levels for things like B12 and theyoid are normal.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Options

This used to be me but I fixed it by 1. eating more protein for breakfast and lunch and 2. getting exercise at lunch time. That really gives me an energy boost, which lasts through my work day and into the evening.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,509 Member
    Options
    90% of supplements out there are all hype. There are NO FAT BURNING supplements on the market that actually burn fat. If you're eating a good amount of vegetables, fiber, fat and protein, you may NOT need to supplement at all. Creatine and protein a proven by clinical study.

My last advice here is BE CAREFUL. Supplements aren't FDA regulated (they aren't drugs) and hence ANYONE or SELLER can say whatever they want without having to prove it. All they have to prove is that it's not dangerous to take. And since profit is the ultimate goal for all sellers, they are going to get the CHEAPEST raw material they can and guess where most of it comes from? CHINA...................who has NO REGULATION on purity of the raw materials. That means they could have containaments in them like metals.

https://www.consumerlab.com/reviews/

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • Cocoa1020
    Cocoa1020 Posts: 197 Member
    Options

No specific supplements for weight loss. But you don't need anything fancy. Do not take anything with ultra high doses as they can lead to toxicity. Make sure it has the USP label. Your standard nature's made would be good enough.

I take the nature's made gummies and vit D3 (5000iu) gummies (I'm deficient as per bloodwork)
    Both are a serving of 2 gummies. I take 2 multivitamins and 1 Vit D so my total D is 5000.
  • NerdyScienceGrl
    NerdyScienceGrl Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    As another office jockey that can suffer from low energy and mental exhaustion by mid- to late day, I made some changes, at work, that helped my work life and energy levels throughout the day…

The two big ones were:
    Changing to a desk that allows me to stand or sit. I spend most of my day standing. It encourages me to move more instead of sitting, slumped over a keyboard. I find that during meetings and random times during the day, I stretch more and will wandering around in my office while thinking.

I use breaks and lunch time to go outside and get fresh air — if the weather is good, I will snack at my desk while working and during break times to go for a walk.

I personally only use supplements if I have a known deficiency. I don’t see anything wrong with using them if they work for you. For me, I don’t want to add anything that impacts the weight loss, particularly if I’m going to need it long term.

Outside of the office, there are any number of things that can be helpful but trying to clean up my sleep hygiene and find ways to reduce stress has been my biggest focus the last few months. It’s a struggle - I set a bedtime, try and destress (yoga or meditation) before bed and unplug from my phone, tv, etc at least 30 minutes before bed. I’m very imperfect at it but nights when I’m able to do it, my work day is easier.