Weight loss Tips? What is the best exercise for LARGER Women

Options
I am looking for exercise ideas for the BBW out there

Replies

• jenniefromtherock
    Options
    The best way to start is just plain old walking!!
  • eh613c
    eh613c Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    The best way to start is just plain old walking!!

Walking is a great way to start. Also you can try swimming. It's better for the joints.
  • Ashleypeterson37
    Ashleypeterson37 Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    Def swimming! Walking is also a great start. Over time just increase your pace and distance.
  • shesblossoming
    Options
    I started off with walking, the elliptical, and the Biggest Loser Power Walk DVD.
  • ambermichk
    ambermichk Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    as a big girl i enjoyed the treadmill the best, walking, easiest with good results.... oddly enough the other machines were uncomfortable for me. I wish i had a pool to swim here (or guts to put on a swimsuit). I also enjoyed zumba since i could do it at my pace even in a class
  • adamsonam
    Options
    I've actually been wondering the same thing. I do my walking but wondering if there is more I could be doing. No pool for me.
  • cloneme_losehalf
    cloneme_losehalf Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    I was suggested to try using toning/resistance bands and water aerobics. I was told it was even better on the joints than walking. There are even exercise that can be done from a chair so not to put more strain on the joints than the daily living does. I was also told to do wall push ups until I was comfortable doing floor pushups.
  • polar135
    polar135 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    start with walking, timed, 20 minutes, then 30 and try to power walk a block at a time so you can pick up speed as you get more comfortable.
  • ltoro
    ltoro Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I started off with walking, the elliptical, and the Biggest Loser Power Walk DVD.
    Hi there what is this Biggest Loser Power Walk DVD? is it any good?
  • horsepullerlovesme
    Options

how was the power walk dvd i got it but waiting for the colder weather to start. was it a great workout.?
  • ltoro
    ltoro Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Walking is great.
  • bordersmommy
    Options
    The key is to find something that YOU like to do...if it is walking, then great. If not, then as long as you are moving you are being successful! Just be patient, be consistent (move regularly). I cannot stand to do the same thing every time so one day I run, one day I walk one day I bike with the kids, one day I dance with video games. The object is to OUTPUT not burn out!...Check the cardiovascular list for ideas that might interest you and be realistic. GOOD LUCK!!!
  • ncole3
    ncole3 Posts: 164
    Options
    As BBW myself, walking for 45-60 minutes is a great start...not only for exercise but for your heart health and endurance. You can start adding strength training 2-3 times after 1-2 weeks.
  • cnsmith2
    cnsmith2 Posts: 539 Member
    Options
    can do walking, if you just need some place to start, though I highly recommend water aerobics or an elliptical machine if you have access to a gym. I've found for me anyway that I can burn a lot more calories doing anything in the pool than I could on a machine or walking simply because it doesn't bother my joints as much and it is more of a full body workout rather than just walking.

p.s. it's fun too. :D
  • bcweisen
    bcweisen Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I actually love the Walk Away the Pounds videos. It's like having access to cardio machines at home. It's not just walking, but kicked up walking with a little resistance exercise as well. It doesn't require a lot of coordination, but it really makes you sweat. Plus, when my oldest child was napping, I could just pop it in and get to work. Only 30 minutes a day, 4-5x/week I was able to lose all her extra baby weight in a few months. It's harder to do now that I have 3 kids and am pregnant, but still great to sweat at home.
  • Mslilshine
    Options
    I agree with everyone else. Hi I'm new here but not new to exercising and losing weight. Walking is the best and most inexpensive exercise there is. One thing that usually motivates a newbie is that walking will help the belly fat not just the legs. If you can't walk outside Leslie Sansone walk away the pounds dvds are great as well. I'm like 280 my walking partner is about 340 and previously before we fell off the wagon we both lost about 30-40 pounds and we just did walking and dvds for exercise. So it's not about how fast but the time 30 minutes daily. Start at 10-15 minutes maybe 2x a day and work your way up. Hope this helps and encourages you to get moving.
  • hummzz
    hummzz Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    I started with working out at 5 minutes at a time several times a day until I got more endurance. I am still a BBW but can move a bit more now. I also made all my physical activities into workouts. Like cleaning the house became vacuuming while dancing or vigorously scrubbing floors. I also would make it a point to climb my stairs several times when doing laundry or whenever I had to go down to my basement.

Now I workout on my elliptical, stair climber and a CardioFit machine. I LOVE this machine. You sit on it and you do full body crunches that are low impact if that what you need. I also have home DVD's I do. Step Aerobics (start out at 5-10 mins then work your way up from there), Zumba is always fun and a great workout and Yoga is definitely a must have!

Also Gold's Gym makes this resistant band gym that fits on your door. It comes with a exercise guide and dvd as well. I think I paid $20 for mine.

Hope this helps! Good luck!!!!
  • goochinator
    goochinator Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    Can't ad much to what others have said...I agree with walking and swimming and water aerobics. But I'm also going to add this: Don't let a larger size body stop you from trying new things. If you belong to a gym, check out the classes. Most, if not all of them will have adaptations for those who cannot do the same moves as a small fitness instructor~ and that's okay! I too ama larger body and I do all the classes I want, because I know to modify for what I can do. If it's a zumba class, modify the moves to slower or lesser to what is comfy for you. I can guarantee if you push yourself to your own personal limit, you will burn calories!! I do these classes at my gym and trust me when I say I'm usually about twice as big as anyone in the room, but I don't care. I burn calories doing what I can, even if the steps/moves arent right/complete, I still am working it hard.
  • shesblossoming
    Options

how was the power walk dvd i got it but waiting for the colder weather to start. was it a great workout.?

The Biggest Loser Power Walk has four levels and then a rest period where you do some light stretching. It's fantastic. Each level is only one mile but it increases intensity as you go through the levels. The first level was murder when I started, but it's low impact, shows modified moves, and is really motivating. The second level has weights, so I use three pound weights (sometimes five). It's just really awesome if you're first starting. I even use it on my rest days so I at least get some cardio in. Each mile is about fifteen minutes, so you can find time to do one in the morning and one at night. And from there, things just got better, so it's worth it!
  • saintspoon
    saintspoon Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I love the elliptical! The first time you're on it you'll like turn purple & almost pass out LOL but once you get used to it .. it's awesome! it makes you feel like you're floating in a beautiful smooth motion :) you won't feel fat at all!