Women 5'1"-5'3" - How many calories do you eat to lose weight?

2»

Replies

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,968 Member
    sikorski wrote: »
    @claireychn074
    Thanks for your answer. Now I have to look up what NEAT IS...
    Everybody else, thanks for answering my question, which was really a survey to help me find out whether I'm an oddball. Guess I'm an official freak! B)

May I offer this thought?

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10610953/neat-improvement-strategies-to-improve-weight-loss/p1

Yeah, I think you're an outlier because you're an outlier, unfortunately. After all, the so-called "calorie calculators" take age & size into account, but spit out the average for one's demographic characteristics. By definition, not every individual is average: Somebody's out in the tail of the bell curve, just not very many people. It's pretty much the definition of "outlier". The "why" is not necessarily obvious.

Many people don't realize it, but the same is true of fitness trackers. They don't measure calorie burn, they just estimate them in a somewhat more individualized way. The basis is still research on big populations, and estimating via algorithms with limited input variables that are statistical predictors or proxies for actual calorie expenditure.

I'm an outlier, too, and not far from you in age/size (65, 5'5"). MFP and my good brand/model fitness tracker both give me an estimate that's *hundreds* of calories off, and both are off in the same direction. (That's comparing them to 5+ years of quite careful calorie counting and scale weight results.) However, I'm on the (I guess) fortunate side of the bell curve: The estimate they give me is too low. I maintain around 2000 or so before exercise, maybe 2300 including exercise. I have limited insight as to why (my daily life is sedentary). But it makes me believe that there will be the occasional outlier, unfortunately, on the other tail of the bell curve.

I'm sorry that's been your experience. Strength training, and NEAT improvement are the tools I know of. TEF (the calories required to burn food) may make a tiny, tiny difference via food choice. (Did I mention "tiny"? 😉)

I can't prove it, but I fear we can train our bodies to get by on fewer calories (years of yo-yo dieting are one possible avenue, but please don't think I'm accusing you of anything - there may not be an obvious reason, like I said). I hope you can find some strategies to up the calorie numbers, but still achieve your goals: As others have said, it's easier to optimize nutrition (not to mention enjoyment!) at a little higher calorie level.

Best wishes!
  • Mazintrov13
    Mazintrov13 Posts: 133 Member
    nooshi713 wrote: »
    I am slightly taller at 5’4 weigh 125 pounds approximately and maintain between 1900-2100 calories depending how active I am.
    My tracking is extremely accurate though I weigh and log everything that goes into my mouth down to the gram and track my weight and calories using a TDEE spreadsheet.
    Sometimes I wonder if people who say they are eating such low calorie amounts (I personally could never eat less than 1500, 1600 is the lowest I would go) are underestimating their intake. It’s VERY easy to do if your not logging accurately

While you’re right that some don’t track accurately, this isn’t true for all. I log very accurately, weigh more than you, and am quite active usually and maintain at a lower level than you.

Oh definitely. Peoples TDEE’s vary wildly even when weight, height and activity levels are similar. Even my own can be affected by so many things, I have actually found when I’ve been through stressful and anxious times my TDEE increases (funnily enough) and since going on anti depressants for anxiety my tdee seems to have decreased slightly.
    I am more thinking of people who claim to be maintaining on under 1200 a day, maybe they are correct and logging everything accurately but it just seems crazy low to me
  • sikorski
    sikorski Posts: 57 Member
    @Strudders67

Thanks for your reply. Congrats on your accomplishment! I don't think I've ever weighed 103. My ultimate goal is about 115-120, which is in the middle of the normal BMI range. But I'd be thrilled to get to 130. I'm 140 now, and it was hard work to get there.

What kind of exercise did you do when you were losing?

• nooshi713
    nooshi713 Posts: 4,877 Member
    edited December 2020
    nooshi713 wrote: »
    I am slightly taller at 5’4 weigh 125 pounds approximately and maintain between 1900-2100 calories depending how active I am.
    My tracking is extremely accurate though I weigh and log everything that goes into my mouth down to the gram and track my weight and calories using a TDEE spreadsheet.
    Sometimes I wonder if people who say they are eating such low calorie amounts (I personally could never eat less than 1500, 1600 is the lowest I would go) are underestimating their intake. It’s VERY easy to do if your not logging accurately

While you’re right that some don’t track accurately, this isn’t true for all. I log very accurately, weigh more than you, and am quite active usually and maintain at a lower level than you.

Oh definitely. Peoples TDEE’s vary wildly even when weight, height and activity levels are similar. Even my own can be affected by so many things, I have actually found when I’ve been through stressful and anxious times my TDEE increases (funnily enough) and since going on anti depressants for anxiety my tdee seems to have decreased slightly.
    I am more thinking of people who claim to be maintaining on under 1200 a day, maybe they are correct and logging everything accurately but it just seems crazy low to me

Trust me, nobody takes pride in maintaining at a low level. I WISH my maintenance was higher. If it was then I wouldn’t have such a hard time with managing my weight. Instead of giving generic advice to ‘never eat less than 1200’, for example, others should be grateful that they are able to maintain at a higher number and understand that everyone is different.
  • sikorski
    @AnnPT77
    Wow, that thread on NEAT was very informative! Thanks! Yes, I've read that strength training could help and I've started doing weights more frequently. Maybe I can try eating more protein, too. Food (heh heh) for thought!

@nooshi713
    Trust me, nobody takes pride in maintaining at a low level. I WISH my maintenance was higher. If it was then I wouldn’t have such a hard time with managing my weight. Instead of giving generic advice to ‘never eat less than 1200’, for example, others should be grateful that they are able to maintain at a higher number and understand that everyone is different.

Ditto to what you wrote, here. And hugs.
  • TxTiffani
    TxTiffani Posts: 798 Member
    @nooshi713 i am also 38f 5’0 and have 38 more I’d like to lose. I will send you a friend request if you don’t mind:)
  • sikorski
    Just an update, for those who are interested.

I lost 23 pounds over 8 months and will continue to lose another 5 or so to get to my goal weight, 120. This is in the middle of the normal BMI range for 5'1".

I did increase my NEAT, but involuntarily. My husband fell in January and now needs to be pushed around in a wheelchair. :'(This is NOT a method I would recommend for weight loss, but it turns out that I'm doing a lot of what Fitbit calls "intense" exercise. So I'm burning calories like crazy these days and walking at least 2,000 more steps.

I do a weights routine about three times a week, and for the first time in my life I can see visible arm muscles. I need that strength for my caregiving role. I'm eating a bit more protein, including yogurt almost every day. So these small tweaks were what worked to help me lose weight.
  • sikorski
    Another update.

I weighed 125 last June, figured that I was done losing, and got my rings resized and bought size 10 jeans. (I had been wearing size 12). I gained a few pounds over the summer. In August I rejoined Noom to get back on track. Back to 120 on August 27. Hit my happy weight, 116, on September 21. I've been maintaining since, keeping within a range of 3 pounds or so. I had to buy size 8 jeans in December because the 10s were loose!

The most useful tools I use are: logging, weighing, mindful eating, and a new exercise routine (no more aerobics because it bothers my knees, weights 2-3 times a week, Barre or yoga on the other days).
  • AnnPT77
    Another update.

I weighed 125 last June, figured that I was done losing, and got my rings resized and bought size 10 jeans. (I had been wearing size 12). I gained a few pounds over the summer. In August I rejoined Noom to get back on track. Back to 120 on August 27. Hit my happy weight, 116, on September 21. I've been maintaining since, keeping within a range of 3 pounds or so. I had to buy size 8 jeans in December because the 10s were loose!

The most useful tools I use are: logging, weighing, mindful eating, and a new exercise routine (no more aerobics because it bothers my knees, weights 2-3 times a week, Barre or yoga on the other days).

Congratulations: Persistence and problem solving are powerful aids. I'm sorry that the situation with your husband, mentioned in your earlier post, happened. Your story and the attitude I see in your posts suggests to me that you would've found a path to your goals without your husband's injury occurring. We handle what we must, and doing so sometimes has unexpected side effects. (That's said as a cancer survivor and cancer widow, among other things - I don't mean to compare experiences, because that's not logical . . . but I do want you to know those are not empty words or Pollyanna-ism on my part, but rather what I've observed in my own life.)

Sending wishes that the course ahead will be smooth and healthy for you!
  • sikorski
    Thanks for the good wishes, AnnPT77.

Wow, you've gone through so much. And during a pandemic, too. You must have a lot of persistence, too. Lots of hugs and best wishes for better health and reaching your goals.
  • AnnPT77
    Thanks for the good wishes, AnnPT77.

Wow, you've gone through so much. And during a pandemic, too. You must have a lot of persistence, too. Lots of hugs and best wishes for better health and reaching your goals.

For clarity: Most of what I mentioned happened pre-pandemic, and I should've said so. I've been a widow for over 23 years, a cancer survivor for over 21. Those things are smaller in my rear-view mirror now, but I haven't forgotten entirely. The only pandemic issues for me are being old (66)/having super-early COPD (so far asymptomatic, thankfully) so at slightly elevated risk, and living alone (introverted with lots of hobbies, though, thankfully). I'm around goal weight and have been for quite a while, maintaining a fitness level I'm OK with an have been for even longer, generally pretty happy these days.

Life changes lots, over the span of years, as you're learning.

Best wishes, going forward!