Gum chewing

Options
Was wondering how or if chewing sugarfree gum affects weightloss. Any thoughts?

Replies

• micahnelson
    micahnelson Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I chew it when I cook to avoid popping half the meal in my mouth before I sit down.
  • wearystar
    wearystar Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    it makes me less hungry for a time period. some people will say that swallowing air makes you bloat, but i think the amount of air potentially swallowed is so minimal that it won't make too much difference.
  • MSDRIZZ
    MSDRIZZ Posts: 246
    Options
    I think it helps curb your appetite. It does have about 5 calories a piece so it can add up if you don't count it. I grind my teeth and have pretty big fillings so chewing gum was making my teeth hurt. I used to chew about half a pack a day.
  • I think you'd have to chew really quickly for a long time.
    Also, it's not good to chew gum on an empty stomach, as you're stomach thinks there's food coming and starts secreting acid, which eventually can cause ulcers if there's no food there.

xx
  • birdlover97111
    birdlover97111 Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    I chew it all the time...The sugar free "Dessert" flavors are wonderful to satisfy a sweet tooth, too.... :flowerforyou:
  • jazzy020106
    jazzy020106 Posts: 485 Member
    Options
    I always feel like I get more hungry faster when I chew gum lol.. IDK maybe its just me??
  • HealthyHereICome
    Options
    A nutrionalist actually told me chewing gum could cause weight gain. Her reasoning was this - the constant stimulation of the salivary glands and taste buds activates the digestive system making you feel hungry when you're not. Take it as you will - that information plus having had some issues with my jaw made me quit chewing it.
  • 2dayirun4me
    2dayirun4me Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    i chew gum all the time curbs my appetite and the mint flavors make me thirsty so it forces me to drink my water.. but everyone is different some people say it makes them hungry.
  • Mixmode
    Mixmode Posts: 332
    Options
    I chew it all the time...The sugar free "Dessert" flavors are wonderful to satisfy a sweet tooth, too.... :flowerforyou:

I chew the *kitten* outta Extra Mint Chocolate Chip. The flavor lasts a loooong time and it helps greatsly when trying to fill the void of eating.
  • micahnelson
    micahnelson Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I chew the *kitten* outta Extra Mint Chocolate Chip.

I am currently chewing the *kitten* out of Extra Mint Chocolate Chip. The apple pie tastes like apple pie, for God's sake. Its a little chewable miracle.
  • BrewerGeorge
    BrewerGeorge Posts: 397 Member
    Options

I am currently chewing the *kitten* out of Extra Mint Chocolate Chip. The apple pie tastes like apple pie, for God's sake. Its a little chewable miracle.
    That's what I was going to say. The apple pie is amazing, though it doesn't last very long. You can actually taste the CRUST component in the key lime one.

I chew TONS of gum, at last a pack a day. Partly because I'm also giving up snus (an oral tobacco product) and partly to keep me from snacking at night.
  • sandyw1482000
    Options
    I actually find that chewing gum helps me... now that I have cut back on refined sugars, it helps me when I get those sugar cravings. I am sure it can get you gassy.. but its either a bit of gas or calories that I don't want or need being put in instead. Its a safe way, I find, to keep your mouth occupied. :)
  • Mixmode
    Mixmode Posts: 332
    Options

That's what I was going to say. The apple pie is amazing, though it doesn't last very long. You can actually taste the CRUST component in the key lime one.

I chew TONS of gum, at last a pack a day. Partly because I'm also giving up snus (an oral tobacco product) and partly to keep me from snacking at night.

I like the key lime also but it doesnt last long enough for me. Neither does the orange dreamcicle one. I end up chewing a piece like every 5 min with those flavors. Havent tried the apple pie one tho. I pretty much stick to mint choc chip.
  • BrewerGeorge
    BrewerGeorge Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    The gas you guys are talking about (I've never heard of that) is probably not from "swallowing air" but from the sugar alcohols that are often the sweeteners in gums. Sorbitol, mannitol, etc aren't digestible by the body, but the bacteria in the gut tend to love them and can generate gas and bloat. You can have the same danger if you overeat sugar-free chocolates for diabetics.