Pasta serving size

Options
I know its proly isnt a healthy food. But if im eating say cooked long spaghetti noodles how much would that be in cups? On websites I always seen differnt portions.

Replies

• L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    Weigh it out. I eat pasta regularly but a lot less than I used to. I now know what a serving size looks like, I don’t need to use my food scale much anymore.
  • scarlett_k
    scarlett_k Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    I usually have about 75g dry weight.
  • EternalSnow627_
    EternalSnow627_ Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    nooshi713 wrote: »
    Cups is not an accurate way to measure pasta. The serving size is on the box in grams and it is best to weigh it out on a scale before cooking.

Well the thing is I make it for other people too so kinda hard to measure it being dry since it’s made in bulk.which is why I asked about it being cooked

• corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    Options
    Still weigh it.
    Making for 4 people? Weigh 4 servings. Portion out 1/4 of the cooked pasta for yourself.
    Or if you think they’ll eat more than that, maybe Cook 6 portions, then serve yourself 1/6.
  • wilson10102018
    wilson10102018 Posts: 1,306 Member
    Options
    To be really accurate, weigh it twice. Dry for total calories and cooked for the total and your portion of the total.

I cook pasta only for myself and 75g is about the usual, however, I dial that back or forward depending in what else is in the dish.
  • Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,171 Member
    edited June 2021
    Options
    To be really accurate, weigh it twice. Dry for total calories and cooked for the total and your portion of the total.

I cook pasta only for myself and 75g is about the usual, however, I dial that back or forward depending in what else is in the dish.

Same method for me for pasta, and any food shared with others.
    I don't have a fixed portion size for pasta, but I usually end up around 65-90 grams dry depending on the rest of the dish (for total meal calories of 600-850)
  • Cocoa1020
    Cocoa1020 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    If anyone is like me. I'm cooking a box of pasta for me and my fiance. He's 6'0 fit, with an active job. I'm 5'4 and not. LOL
    Before I start cooking (this works for everything when you are making large pot meals for a family) I weigh the pot (write that down) I measure everything that goes into the pot. Except the water. So the pasta, oil, etc. After everything is done cooking I weigh the entire pot minus the weight of the pot. So now I know the weight of the food and the amount of calories in the pot. Divide kcalories/grams x 100. I play around with the serving size in the recipe builder to match the calories as close as I can. I always make a little note like 155kcal/100g

Hope this helps :smile:
  • Bella_Figura
    Bella_Figura Posts: 4,028 Member
    Options
    My usual serving size is 75g dry pasta if I'm serving it with a side salad, but I'll increase to 100g if I'm having it simply tossed in garlicky chilli oil or a homemade tomato sauce with parmesan and no side salad.
  • BarbaraHelen2013
    BarbaraHelen2013 Posts: 1,940 Member
    Options
    yirara wrote: »
    The right serving size is the one that fits into your calorie budget

This! My usual serving of pasta is between 40-50g (same for rice, spelt, quinoa, buckwheat, bulgur wheat etc). That’s what fits my calories at dinner to allow for the protein element and tons of vegetables. 🤷‍♀️
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,440 Member
    Options

This! My usual serving of pasta is between 40-50g (same for rice, spelt, quinoa, buckwheat, bulgur wheat etc). That’s what fits my calories at dinner to allow for the protein element and tons of vegetables. 🤷‍♀️

Oh, that would make me sooo sad! My pasta amount is usually around 70-90gr. But it differs. Rice is around 60-90gr, also depending on the other stuff. As cooking rice and pasta is usually quicker than cooking the rest (or just prepping) I know how much pasta/rice I can use.
  • BarbaraHelen2013
    BarbaraHelen2013 Posts: 1,940 Member
    Options

Oh, that would make me sooo sad! My pasta amount is usually around 70-90gr. But it differs. Rice is around 60-90gr, also depending on the other stuff. As cooking rice and pasta is usually quicker than cooking the rest (or just prepping) I know how much pasta/rice I can use.

You’d think so, and I thought the same when I first made the adjustment but if you’re inventive it’s actually more than enough! If I’m cooking rice or any grain that cooks in water, 40g goes into the boiling water then when it’s 2mins from being done I drop the same weight of frozen peas (or occasionally sweetcorn or broad beans) in with it. That bulks it up nicely.

Same for pasta - I’ll drop at least one of the following into the water for the last couple of minutes; asparagus spears, courgette batons, tender stem broccoli, small cauliflower florets, runner beans, dwarf beans, baby button mushrooms. Drain, toss with homemade tomato sauce and there’s plenty. More than enough to satisfy my ‘I want a bowl of pasta’ craving!
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,962 Member
    Options
    I've been gradually reducing the portions of my pasta, which I weigh cooked when it's not just me, which is most of the time. (I've done it both ways and am fine with this choice.) I'm down to about 3.5 ounces (100 g) now, but will go higher if I got a lot of exercise that day and have lots of exercise calories.

I used to eat SO MUCH pasta with just butter, but now that I eat it with lots of protein and veggies, I am satisfied with a much smaller serving.

The entry I use is "Spaghetti, cooked, unenriched, with added salt," which MFP pulled from the USDA database. I use it for many types of pasta.
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    Options
    I like pasta. I really do. I weighed out a serving according to the box=56 gram. No way! I kept putting some back in the box until I got to 35 grams. Perfect! Cooked it for supper. Almost finished it.