62 and one last chance

Options
Hi like most on here I am over weight because I eat to much and don’t move my my fat body enough, I am a retired farmer so was very Active , not now but still eating the same , need to lose weight for so may reasons so here I go 😊🐳

Replies

• springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,913 Member
    Options
    I am right on your heels at 59, and have lost 40% of my total body weight in less than three years weighing, logging and exercising. MFP was a godsend for me. There are many many people here who are older and are already successful, or actively working towards it.

Weight loss eliminated my painful (and frightening) GERD, and eased the early beginning of arthritis by taking weight of the joints, while exercise lubricates them. I feel 1,000% better than I did almost a hundred pounds ago. If you’re willing to work towards the goal, I can’t even express how much better you will feel, both physically and mentally.

Don’t beat yourself up. The only thing I have is regret that I let myself go for so long. I used to beat myself up, too, call myself names, make faces of disgust at myself in the mirror. Don’t do that. It didn’t accomplish anything, and that mindset will hold you back.

Here is a group you might want to check out:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10718336/60-yrs-and-up/p1

You CAN do this, with application and patience if you’re willing to do more than talk the talk of wanting to. The crazy thing is, once you “reach the other side”, you’re also going to realize it wasn’t hard at all. It’s taking the first steps and sticking with it that’s the hardest part, and that’s all in your head and nowhere else.
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    I just turned 60, and lost 55 lbs over the past year
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,853 Member
    edited June 2021
    Options
    Came here to say "Hi and Welcome", plus link the thread Springlering62 already linked. 😉

Note that in any long-term thread like that, the newer posts will be on the later (higher-numbered) pages, so don't be worried if you open it up and see old posts on page 1. It's still active.

I've been around here for a while, now maintaining weight, but used MFP to lose 50+ pounds in 2015-16, at age 59-60 (while hypothyroid, if that matters), after previous decades of obesity. It was simpler than I'd ever dreamed (not easy every second, though).

I could kick myself for not doing it years earlier, because it's been an absolutely huge life improvement. With the weight loss, my high blood pressure became normal to low normal, my high cholesterol and triglycerides came down solidly into the normal range, my aching knees (torn meniscus, osteoarthritis) became much less uncomfortable and bothered me less often once they didn't have to haul 50 excess pounds around (rarely cause problems now). I'm now 65, and doing great, still at a healthy weight - heading into year 6 soon.

Like I said, maybe not easy every minute, but very doable, and I'm convinced that it's what we do the majority of days that make the most difference, not one odd holiday indulgence or moody slip-up on the rare day here and there infrequently. You can do this!

Wishing you success!
  • annliz23
    annliz23 Posts: 3,474 Member
    Options
    Hi been here a while, retired and 10lbs to go to hitting my target but it's slow work due to arthritis in my back and hips, add friends, record food and daily exercise, good luck!