Question on Macros

Options
Hi There,

I have been using the app for a while and I have noticed some discrepancies between myfitnesspal on my phone and on my laptop.

I currently have my macros set to:

Fat - 30% (53 g)
Carbs - 30% (120g)
Protein - 40% (160g)

On my cellphone when I input my meals for the day on my cellphone app it shows me percentages - it always says I am 10% or more over the above macros.

However, when I input them on the computer it shows me a calculation for each macro and I am always in the green (which means I have that many left to go before I reach my daily goal.

Example:

Today I have had 114 grams of carbs - my daily goal is 120g or 30% (I calculated this by hand)
1) The app says my carb intake is 42%
2) The computer website says I still have 6g of carbs to go before I reach my goal.

Can someone help explain this to me? I am so confused and I am really trying to do this right.

Thank You!

Replies

• Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    I'm wondering if your percentages in the app are based on the total of what you actually consumed so far, whereas on the computer it shows you your intake compared to your goal intake (calorie goal)?
  • chrisalexander851
    chrisalexander851 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    touch or click on that section and it should switch between grams and %
  • lishollingworth
    lishollingworth Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    The circle images are my app
    The numbers are from the site

97610uezrk1h.png
    o5fzhchefgev.png
    k1sr58xcgrn6.png
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    edited June 2021
    Options
    Today I have had 114 grams of carbs - my daily goal is 120g or 30% (I calculated this by hand)
    1) The app says my carb intake is 42%
    2) The computer website says I still have 6g of carbs to go before I reach my goal.

I think it's telling you that 42% of what you have eaten today are carbs. You have carbs left, but also fat and protein, presumably.

IMO, the pie chart is confusing and useless. If you want to focus on macros, typically what you want to focus on is total grams of each -- to make sure your protein is sufficient and (in your case, it seems) that carbs are moderate to low, for example. If you eat 500 cals above or below your goal on a regular basis, your macros could be right on percentage-wise, but you'd still not be accomplishing what you are trying to do.

Edit: yes, look at the final pie chart. It's not telling you you are over your current carbs for the day, but that 42% of what you have eaten are carbs. If you eat some more fat and protein, the % carbs will go down. And you are way under cals.