Sorta mad at myself....sorta don't care

Options
Disclaimer. Trying not to have one of those "oh woe is me posts".....but probably will be. Not sure what is wrong with me lately. Since Jan 3, I ran to the computer to track every bite I ate or every water I finished. Exercised anywhere from a few times a week to every flippin day. Was NEVER over my calorie goal. Ate salad every stinkin day for lunch. NOT saying I was perfect, but tried my damnedest. Lost 3 pounds from Jan to August, but still kept at it and cheered on everyone else as they lost a crap ton of weight in that time.
Went on vaca the beginning of August and all hell broke loose. Was not really a vacation and ended up working the whole time, my uncle was seriously injured, I turned 40, my baby started pre-school (I am stay at home mom so affected me even worse), etc.

Since I got back, I have eaten like crap. I don't think I have had a fruit or veggie in a couple days. Can't even think about eating a salad. I am craving crap that I have not eaten in 8 months. Thought it was stress related, but everyone has stress...it was just 9/11 for heaven's sake!
Starting to go to the gym tomorrow and that should help, but feel ho-hum about that too. Weird thing is, I have lost 3 pounds since I quit caring and doing anything. ????
This happen to anyone else?? Not sure the point of this, maybe just to vent. This MFP community has kept me going before and am praying you guys can pick me up again. thanks!!! (and sorry for the negativity...if I could shake it, I would!)

Replies

• StacyBee92
    Options
    Sounds a bit like your body got used to your new way of eating and so dint lose much. Since you went on an "I'll eat whatever and whenever" its shocked your body out of its rut and its kick started the metabolism again. Thats my best guess!
  • TropicalKitty
    TropicalKitty Posts: 2,298 Member
    Options
    Don't be upset about it. Something I've learned, I can't force myself to do things that don't work with my body. I tried the "diet" food thing of lots of salad and fresh veggies, it just let me even more hungry. I learned what my body needs - dense hearty foods. Steak, broccoli, asparagus. Salad fills me for about 30mins and tbh, I don't care much for it.

So, don't be mad at yourself, just look at it as an experiment that didn't work right, obviously what you were doing before wasn't how you needed things to be. This is just as much a learning process as it is a losing weight process. :)

Don't give up, keep fiddling around with things and see what does work best. As for now, start with slow changes. That can be a big thing, we get burned out with major changes sometimes or get bored.

GL! :flowerforyou:
  • sexyminxinthemaking
    Options
    i feel the same i feel like im working really hard and only seeing very little results i mean most people loose quite a bit on their first week i lost 1.6 pounds and feel like giving up add me if you like we can try and muddle through together :)
  • Zen_Master_B
    Options
    Maybe you should step back and reassess what is making you exercise and eat healthy. I have had a few times during my weight loss experience that I had to stop for sometimes a week and re find what it was that kept me going. It might help to remember that if you wanna have energy to get back in the gym remind yourself this cake isn't good exercise fuel or whatever, you know. If stress has you down, you could also remember weight loss success is mostly food related, you can lose weight and not exercise.

Rest days are important you probably lost weight from your body healing.

If you just control your diet during this trying time, maybe the break from the gym wouldn't hurt, we all need some time for reflection not just for food and fitness but for life itself.
  • Breezewood
    Options
    Wow. Reading this ...... I could have written it. I know exactly how you feel. I went thru a 2 week period here recently when after not seeing results, had gotten an "why bother trying" attitude. But 2 days ago, I decided I need to do this again. I was actually missing the calorie counting and blogging. So today, I'm starting again.

I have no words of encouragement - but I looked at it this way. Yeah, I fell into a rut. Yeah I got an attitude and didn't care. I'm going to attribute this to the upcoming season change. Why not? But, I watched a show called "Heavy" thanks to my daughter. I told her I needed motivation cause mine left. So after sitting and watching 2 episodes of the program, I decided I need to do this...1) before I gain more back and 2) to get up and treadmill it to make me feel better in the future.

So now, as I watch "Heavy" and what those people are going through, I thank my lucky stars I can walk the whole episode and I feel good about it. My goal is to walk more than the 45 minute show. My goal is to take this a day at a time. To feel better about myself.

I wish you the best of luck cause it's not easy. But bust my butt in a gym like those people on "Heavy" and have a heart attack? No way. I'll be happy just walking away the TV shows and if I lose weight, great. If I don't, well, then, maybe a gym and a heart attack at that point. lol
  • tomea_k
    Options
    I am dealing with the same exact thing you are. I've been "watching what I eat" for several years now after losing 80lbs. I think this is just something that happens. I find myself getting bored once in a while and craving things that make me feel a little guilty (yet I will turn around and eat something else bad). The hardest part is breaking the cycle and getting back to your routine. Hang in there... you will get through it. Be careful about the fact you lost a few pounds while still eating crap; there is a false sense of reward there. That eventually wears off and the effects may cause the scale to go the opposite direction. Best of luck to you!
  • pixardad
    pixardad Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I can only imagine the stress with the kids, 9/11, etc. I'm the Dad who everyday goes to work and is gone for 12+ hrs out of my kids lives. Hate my job, how will I pay the bills, etc...the list goes on and on and on and one and one...and worse, it never stops.

Stress is a killer for a reason. If you feel ho-hum about the diet and losing weight...fell that way for a while. Give yourself that relief instead of letting it add more stress. The key though is to set a time limit for it. Just like any other guilty pleasure, or even a penalty, it must have a time limit. Set a time to "have your give a damn busted", take a deep breath, and then start in easy.

Friend me if you'd like. I'm willing to stress out and vent back and forth with you all you want. We'll set a time limit and then help each other get back to dropping the pounds. Take care!

--PixarDad
  • NancyAnne1960
    NancyAnne1960 Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    Sounds a bit like your body got used to your new way of eating and so dint lose much. Since you went on an "I'll eat whatever and whenever" its shocked your body out of its rut and its kick started the metabolism again. Thats my best guess!

Agreed, this could be part of it. The other??? It might just be that you ARE eating healthier than you think.. And, for not losing while trying so hard, it could be you were eating too little if you were exercising. Keep doing what you are doing, but replace with fruit or a salad here and there - add some exercise, but don't beat yourself up and start going overboard. You are obviously doing something right. Don't get burned out on healthy ONLY food. That will send you to hate eating that way all the time. Hang in there. Keep going with the preminission that if you just eat healthy, exercise along the way, the weight will SLOWLY come off. You are doing just fine!
  • smilebhappy
    smilebhappy Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    Stress is a killer for a reason. If you feel ho-hum about the diet and losing weight...fell that way for a while. Give yourself that relief instead of letting it add more stress. The key though is to set a time limit for it. Just like any other guilty pleasure, or even a penalty, it must have a time limit. Set a time to "have your give a damn busted", take a deep breath, and then start in easy.

Totally agree w/pizardad here.
    this is a really good way to look at it.

reddcat....I DO know how you feel! I too am feeling the same way....
    I did lose weight in the beginning but have since stalled & it is quite frustrating but I've given it alot of thought lately
    I'm going to switch it up...I think my body is used to the same calorie intake & exercise(s) so I am going to do things differently.
    you should step back & examine what you are doing & make a new plan....if losing weight & becoming healthy was an easy thing to do then everyone would be doing it instead of doing it for a while then giving up because it is too hard. It is hard but I know you can do this!! Chin up my friend......Let's do this!!! {{hugs}}