No big fluctuations - Is it normal?

Hey guys,

I read everywhere that big fluctuations up to 7lbs are to be expected when weighing yourself daily.

I have been doing it every morning for months and even now that I have done a maintenance break I haven't seen any big fluctuations at all. The weight will go up and down slightly by 0.1-1kg / 0.5lbs-2lbs max, but it's always around the same kg on the scale. Is it normal? I am petite (159cm, 55kg / 5ft 2, ~125lbs).

Replies

• HealthyFoodieForever
    HealthyFoodieForever Posts: 10 Member
    Just to clarify - I'm curious, not worried 😁
    I wonder if it's because I haven't had a proper binge in months, I never drink more than one alcoholic drink, etc
  • MJW12020
    MJW12020 Posts: 39 Member
    I get pretty small fluctuations between days (assuming I weigh first thing in the morning each time), but much larger fluctuations during the day. Definitely not seven pounds - maybe two or three.
  • Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,036 Member
    I think it varies from one person to the next.

I've been tracking my weight daily for nearly two years now and the largest fluctuations I've had were 1.1kg in one day and usually quite a bit less than that. But when you look at a longer time frame, it does accumulate a bit more, but still not huge.
    I can have several downwards fluctuations over a few days to new low weight followed by a whole week of small upticks, for example.
    But the overall range is still only 4-5lbs I think.
  • Lietchi
    To illustrate, these are my weigh-ins the past few months. Looks a bit like a roller-coaster :smile:

hfs0gbkadeqm.png

I never binge though. I get large upticks from sushi though, for example (a boatload of carbs and sodium from the soy sauce).
  • scarlett_k
    scarlett_k Posts: 812 Member
    I only ever get significant fluctuations on the rare occasion I eat a very salty/large meal (like chinese or a pizza hut pizza). Otherwise I usually hover within the same 1.5 kg (3lb give or take), although more usually it's 0-0.5kg, and I hover in one place for longer at certain point in my cycle.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,329 Member
    scarlett_k wrote: »
    I only ever get significant fluctuations on the rare occasion I eat a very salty/large meal (like chinese or a pizza hut pizza). Otherwise I usually hover within the same 1.5 kg (3lb give or take), although more usually it's 0-0.5kg, and I hover in one place for longer at certain point in my cycle.

yes, me too. I only gain 1kg max after traveling. Mind you, I'm a whoosher, thus maybe water weight even gets flattened by that.
  • HealthyFoodieForever
    Cool! Glad I'm not a weirdo 🤣 👍
  • HealthyFoodieForever
    Lietchi wrote: »
    To illustrate, these are my weigh-ins the past few months. Looks a bit like a roller-coaster :smile:

hfs0gbkadeqm.png

I never binge though. I get large upticks from sushi though, for example (a boatload of carbs and sodium from the soy sauce).

Can I ask what is this software/app?
  • Lietchi
    That's Libra, an Android app for keeping track of your weight trend.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,329 Member
    If you're on iOS then Happy Scale is a fairly ok option. Libra looks better overall, but HS is nice to have.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,846 Member
    sijomial wrote: »

I read everywhere that big fluctuations up to 7lbs are to be expected when weighing yourself daily.

The key words are "up to" which includes for the intended readership no fluctuations, small fluctuations, large fluctuations and every point in between.

Just like a shop advertising discounts "up to" 50%, that's not saying everything is discounted by 50%, just some items.

Yes, I only got the 7 pound swing once - I had both started lifting weights again and was ovulating. It's possible I had a high sodium meal in there as well.

When I was further away from menopause I had smaller hormonal swings, and they were bigger premenstrually. Now my big swings are when I ovulate. I'm currently up 4 pounds from my low point in the month, which is a week after my period starts.

I use Happy Scale and focus on the overall trend, which is going in the right direction, especially when I look at the yearly chart.
  • TX_Bluebonnet
    TX_Bluebonnet Posts: 244 Member
    8suy764j73pj.png
    I'm also weighing daily and focusing on the overall trend. Looking a little rockier this past month due to a mix of some high sodium days and increased exercise activity.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,879 Member
    Hey guys,

I have been doing it every morning for months and even now that I have done a maintenance break I haven't seen any big fluctuations at all. The weight will go up and down slightly by 0.1-1kg / 0.5lbs-2lbs max, but it's always around the same kg on the scale. Is it normal? I am petite (159cm, 55kg / 5ft 2, ~125lbs).

While possible, I don't really think 7 Lb fluctuations are altogether normal...I'd say they are occasional high end outliers...the only time I can think of that I've had a fluctuation that large is when I travel my air.

I can be up or down 3 Lbs...but even then, that usually only happens when I've done something different with my diet like having a weekend of drinking and eating, especially if it was more carbs and/or sodium than I usually have I'm pretty consistent with my diet and my exercise so 0 to 1ish Lbs up or down is more normal for me.
  • viajera99
    viajera99 Posts: 252 Member
    I'm a little bit shorter and a little bit heavier than you, and the largest fluctuation I've ever seen was less than a kilo. (That's weighing myself at the same time with the same clothing every day.) Smaller people will have smaller fluctuations, in general.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,721 Member
    My usual fluctuations are in the same 1-3 pound range others are reporting. It takes extreme behavior, for me, to see bigger ones. (I've been weighing daily most of the time for many, many years, probably over a decade, starting even before trying to lose weight.)

Some women see bigger fluctuations related to monthly hormone cycles, but that's quite individual, like other aspects of fluctuation. If you feel healthy, no weird symptoms like ankle swelling or something, don't worry that you're fluctuating too little (or too much). Your normal is normal. Other people's normal may be different.

For your consideration: If there's a post here by someone worried about a big fluctuation, that will draw out other people's stories about extreme fluctuations, to reassure them that if they didn't eat massive extra calories (or stop marathon training for a 24x7 retreat to their bed), it isn't fat. In that context, I'd be posting about my *rare* 5-6 pound fluctuations from one day to the next, not my much more common 1-3 pound ones.
  • lmf1012
    lmf1012 Posts: 402 Member
    I have been weighing daily for the last 12 weeks and have only had 6 times I fluctuated 1lb or more (1.8, 1, 1, 1.2, 1.2, 1)