How to add in daily pedometer walking

Options
Hello...

I have a new pedometer program called Pacer that I just began using on my Android phone that tells me how many steps I take daily. According to a Google search, 500 steps = 1/4-mi.

Keeping it simple, if I walk 2K steps or 1-mi, I don't know how to record that in the Exercise tab, since it's asking for how many min & pace, not total steps.

Do I just use 8-hrs? Some of it is brisk walking, some leisurely... I don't know which criteria to use.

For those who might use something similar, how do you record your steps?

Thank you.

Replies

• TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    First, check to see if your Pacer can be synced to My Fitness Pal. Check the APPS menu above.

Second, even if you could find a way to log this as exercise.....you might not want to. The reason being, even sedentary people take steps. You have been given credit for some steps already, so counting every step as exercise is going to result in some double dipping.

What syncing does is compares your stated activity level to your actual activity level and gives you credit for the difference.

If you routinely walk a number of steps, you can change your activity level to match:
    https://www.10000steps.org.au/articles/counting-steps/#:~:text=1 Sedentary is less than 5,000 steps per,day 5 Highly active is more than 12,500
  • Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    You can sync the Pacer app to MFP (unless things have changed since 18 months ago).

It will then give you extra calories, but only for those steps above your selected activity level (I think it's around 3000 steps for sedentary for example).
  • BraydanTaffy
    BraydanTaffy Posts: 504 Member
    edited June 2021
    Options
    TeaBea wrote: »
    First, check to see if your Pacer can be synced to My Fitness Pal. Check the APPS menu above.

Second, even if you could find a way to log this as exercise.....you might not want to. The reason being, even sedentary people take steps. You have been given credit for some steps already, so counting every step as exercise is going to result in some double dipping.

What syncing does is compares your stated activity level to your actual activity level and gives you credit for the difference.

If you routinely walk a number of steps, you can change your activity level to match:
    https://www.10000steps.org.au/articles/counting-steps/#:~:text=1 Sedentary is less than 5,000 steps per,day 5 Highly active is more than 12,500

Really good points. I guess I won't bother syncing it. I just want to keep track of walking as in exercising, which I can easily do via min & speed... I was more curious as to how many total steps I normally take daily. I'll just record the walks as I normally do.

TY for your reply!
  • BraydanTaffy
    Options
    Lietchi wrote: »
    You can sync the Pacer app to MFP (unless things have changed since 18 months ago).

It will then give you extra calories, but only for those steps above your selected activity level (I think it's around 3000 steps for sedentary for example).

Oh, okay. Well, I'll check into that & see if I can do it. Thank you. If it automatically deletes the "normal" steps per day, then that would be great.

TY kindly. I'll reply when in a day or 2 when I have a moment to check it out.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,015 Member
    edited June 2021
    Options
    If you just want a running total of your steps and you don't want the app to add more calories for those steps, you can create a "new measurement" here:

My Home > Check in > Track additional measurements
    https://www.myfitnesspal.com/measurements/check_in

Just start a new description, and then you have to manually add your steps to that on a daily (or whatever) basis. It will generate a "Report" in the Reports tab - just like your weight or your Net Calories or your general Calories, etc. A graph over time (weeks or months) will be available in Reports.
  • BraydanTaffy
    Options
    If you just want a running total of your steps and you don't want the app to add more calories for those steps, you can create a "new measurement" here:

My Home > Check in > Track additional measurements
    https://www.myfitnesspal.com/measurements/check_in

Just start a new description, and then you have to manually add your steps to that on a daily (or whatever) basis. It will generate a "Report" in the Reports tab - just like your weight or your Net Calories or your general Calories, etc. A graph over time (weeks or months) will be available in Reports.

TY so much for looking it up for me. I'll check it out & post back in a day or 2. :smile: