Breastfeeding mom

Options
Hi my name is Beruska and I would like to lose some weight while breastfeeding. This is why I wanted to do it the right way. Eating what I need. If you have any suggestions on how or where to start, I’m all ears. Thank you!!

Replies

• Cassandraw3
    Cassandraw3 Posts: 1,214 Member
    Options
    brdduv88xi7y.png

This chart shows a good estimate for the amount of calories your body uses to make breastmilk. If you are exclusively pumping, it is about 20 calories per ounce of breast milk. These calories would be on top of what your maintenance calories would be. Be careful not to cut too many calories at once, as that can have an impact on your supply. I definitely would not recommend having a greater deficit than the calorie requirement for breastmilk. Congrats! I am currently 7 weeks PP and working to lose the excess weight that I gained while pregnant.
  • MaltedTea
    MaltedTea Posts: 6,286 Member
    edited June 2021
    Options
    Hi new mommy! Former breastfeeder here (each kid got a min of 14 months of "Booby Juice").

You may want to taste test after exercise or otherwise track how your lil one takes to the breast.

Exercise, like running for 90 min (when you'd find the time for this daily as per the infographic, I dunno, but I digress) can build up lactic acid and change how the expressed milk tastes to the point where your baby may not feed as much. Either that or they give you dirty looks. Been there, done that 🤣