Why do YOU hate running?

Options
I know tons of people hate to run, and i can understand if the answer is "it's hard on my joints" or "injuries". But other than that, I sometimes wonder why people hate it. Im a running ADDICT and I totally love it! Just wanna know YOUR opinion :)

Replies

• Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    2 reasons....#1 I never learned to breathe right, and get cramps when I run, and #2 my boobs! I have good underwire sports bras, but they can only do so much...:laugh:

EDIT...I WISH I could learn to love it though!
  • thedreamhazer
    thedreamhazer Posts: 1,156 Member
    Options
    I know tons of people hate to run, and i can understand if the answer is "it's hard on my joints" or "injuries". But other than that, I sometimes wonder why people hate it. Im a running ADDICT and I totally love it! Just wanna know YOUR opinion :)
    I love running, but I know there are times I have hated it. Generally, when I'm forced to the treadmill. It's BORING. I hate being bored....every minute suddenly takes 5 and you feel like you're never going to get through a single mile, let alone 2 or 3 (or what have you).

On the other hand, running outdoors is the best. Setting new personal records is the best. Runner's high is the best. Running has a lot of bests!
  • lclarkjr
    lclarkjr Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    I hate it because it's hard and takes me out of my comfort zone...But then again, that's why I love it so much too. There's nothing like the feeling of accomplishment after finishing a tough run, even if I'm cursing myself the whole way.
  • Sezmo83
    Sezmo83 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    It's horrendously boring. To be fair though I feel that way about a lot of exercise, there is absolutely nothing mentally stimulating about it and I find myself getting bored and not wanting to do it.
  • conidiring
    conidiring Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    I'm a DDD, the girls aren't happy with me when I'm joggling them around so much! Oh, and it hurts my joints, I have fibromyalgia and plantars fasciatis (sp?) and I get side stitches and shin splints. Oh and I hate running (unless I'm being chased by a tiger...) Other than that I absolutely love it...:laugh:
  • DisneyAddictRW
    DisneyAddictRW Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    I'm a runner but I still have a love hate relationship for it! I have a large chest so I have to double up on clothing and drives me nuts! I also hate the costs involved with running shoes, gps band, head phones, etc... Doesn't seem like much but it adds up. Shoes seem to be the kicker for me! I also hate the way my shins feel sometimes but usually means I need to get new shoes.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I don't hate it, but I don't love it. I WANT to love it, but it's difficult for me. I hate that I can go for hours at full speed on a high resistance on the elliptical and it's almost easy, but running is work for me.

I also live in Florida and HATE the treadmill. I seriously can't run more than a few seconds at a time on it. But outside is easier. Except when it's 100 degrees and 95% humidity, as it's been all summer here. The humidity is breaking, though, and it's getting easier again.

So, I don't mind it so much in the fall and winter.
  • PeachyKeene
    PeachyKeene Posts: 1,645 Member
    Options
    I am addicted!!! Don't hate
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Hate is maybe too strong a word, but I disliked running because it was BORING. But the results were nice.
  • outersoul
    Options
    I hate it because I usually hit a mental wall where I just want to stop. But I love it because I push through that mental wall. Running really clears my head too.
  • iAMaPhoenix
    iAMaPhoenix Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    Hate it cause the cops chasing me usually catch up when I run out of breath...lol. Really, I don't love it, but I don't hate it either. I do however feel accomplished when I get through that endorphin rush keeps me coming back for more.
  • summertime_girl
    summertime_girl Posts: 3,945 Member
    Options
    Because it's hard. But I do it every day.
  • Kristhin
    Kristhin Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    Gives me shin pain so bad I can barely walk if I run too much.
  • lakersfan4life
    lakersfan4life Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    because its boring
  • crissimoyer
    Options
    I definitely have a love/hate relationship with it. I love the way I feel after a good run and when I just have a good run in general. More times then not, I hate it though. Helps to have a good running buddy for motivation ;)
  • TheBraveryLover
    TheBraveryLover Posts: 1,217 Member
    Options
    I've always hated it even when I was forced to run in run-a-thons at my school, as a child. It just feels uncomfortable. I can't really describe it. I'd rather do any other exercise than run. The only running I do is in place when I do circuit training at home. That's the most I'm willing to do.

I certainly love a runner's build and am envious of those who love to run, but it's just not for me.
  • Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    Options
    Running, except for short sprints is directly related to chronic cardio which in turns elevates cortisol levels which can prevent you from burning fat and losing weight.

This is MY reason for not liking to run.
  • lclarkjr
    lclarkjr Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    Running, except for short sprints is directly related to chronic cardio which in turns elevates cortisol levels which can prevent you from burning fat and losing weight.

This is MY reason for not liking to run.

That is the funniest thing I've read on here in a while. Running preventing you from burning fat and losing weight? Seriously?!
  • HealthiHannah
    HealthiHannah Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    I don't know how to run. I know this sounds rediculous, but every time I have tried to run, I get shin splints. People say it is my shoes, and it very well could be. But I also feel like I have no idea how to have "good form", I think I run on my feet wrong, and I don't breathe right. I can give you ever reason in the book... but really, its because it is hard and scary. I WANT to be a runner, so this year I am working on becoming a runner!
  • AggieCass09
    AggieCass09 Posts: 1,867 Member
    Options
    all you large chested gals need to check out the under armor bras....i was a 34DDD (now i'm a 32D :-( ) and it worked wonders and still does...i got a small enough size that didn't hurt my waist, yet held the girls in http://www.****ssportinggoods.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3973990&010=3973990&cid=CSE:&cid=CSE:GooglePlusbox&003=3933188

the zipper is great in actually getting it on.

also, lululemon has a great selection as does roadrunnersports.com

for the main question...i LOVE running, NEVER hate it--only hate when things come up that prevent me from running. But it hasn't always been this way for me, running is definitely an acquired thing. Check out my blogs on running listed on my "about me" section for more :-)