Successfully maintaining but always hungry

significance
significance Posts: 436 Member
edited June 2021 in Goal: Maintaining Weight
After losing 35kg to go from a BMI of 34 to a BMI of 20.5, I have been successfully maintaining my new weight since February (4 months ago). Since reaching my goal, I have continued tracking everything I eat and have decided on a strategy of maintaining a small deficit most days so I can have a cheat day once a week or on special occasions. It is balancing out well and my weight has been stable on a week-to-week basis.

I'm not sure of my body fat percentage, but the US Navy calculation (based on hip, waist, wrist and neck measurements plus height and weight) estimates it as around 20 to 21%, which looks about right when I compare myself with photos online of women at various body fat percentages. I'm female and in my 40s, so this puts me on the more athletic side.

My macros are 50% carbs, 25-30% fat and 20-25% protein. I make sure that the carbs are almost all complex carbs: fresh vegetables, lentils, rolled oats and other wholegrains, plus a small piece of fruit each day and a small glass of wine as an indulgence. On my weekly cheat day, I do eat more simple carbs but try not to go too silly. The macro %s are weekly averages including the cheat day.

I exercise every day: cardio every day (typically 30 mins of HIIT plus an hour or more of brisk walking or moderate bicycling) plus functional strength training every other day and yoga about once a week. The strength training is for my health: I have enjoyed getting stronger, but I don't want to build bulk. I take all this exercise into account in my daily kilojoule allowance and seem to be getting that right because my weight is stable.

The problem is that I find I am always hungry. I think I am hungrier now than I was when I was losing weight. Any tips? Would I be less hungry if I let my BMI creep back up to 23 and maintained there, or would I have the same problem, only with a less lean body? Or do I need to ditch my lentils and rolled oats and eat lean meat three times a day to hit a higher protein target? It feels as though I am already eating a lot of protein, with eggs and/or fish, a little meat, a few nuts and multiple serves of dairy every day.

Replies

• significance
    I would try tweaking your macros, a little more fat might help.

Hmm. Not for me, I think. On days when I switch out my breakfast eggs for avocado or nuts, I’m hungrier than other days.
    sijomial wrote: »
    There is a theme in my responses isn't there? :)
    Experiment, experiment, experiment - maintenance needs to be personalised and you have all the time in the world to try different things. Preferably change one variable at a time.

Thank you. That makes sense. I haven’t experimented much as I am terrified of regaining the weight like I did last time I lost this much but I think you are probably right that I need to.
  • charmmeth
    charmmeth Posts: 936 Member
    My experience is only my experience and therefore anecdotal also. I lost weight a few years ago to a goal which took me to bmi 21.6. For me that was too low, and I did gain it all back. I've lost again now to a goal with a bmi 23.4. I am still working out what maintenance looks like for me at this weight, but I mostly haven't been too hungry. I am gaining gradually, and will need to eat less/move more if I find that my weight is drifting back up.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,668 Member
    I lost 55 lbs. and have maintained it for several years. My maintenance range is 121-125. Calories vary because I run and walk different distances on different days, usually between 5-10 miles unless I'm marathon training, with two rest or cross-training days. I eat a lot because I burn a lot. Days that are more strenuous, I can still get hungry. My solution is simply to eat a snack that is filling but not a lot of calories. That can be fruit or a piece of cheese or both. Over the course of a week, my CI-CO usually balances out. I have found that when my weight starts to drop, because I am more active or eating a bit less, I get more hungry, so I'll go out to dinner or something to bring the total for the week up. It is partly a conscious decision to not let my weight get too low and partly listening to my body.
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    What worked for me was increasing protein and decreasing carbs. Your mileage may vary as everyone is different, but u could try.
  • WPBullock
    WPBullock Posts: 8 Member
    Great topic! Came on here today ready to type this exact question! Going to try changing up my snacks to be less quick carby
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    I would try tweaking your macros, a little more fat might help.

Hmm. Not for me, I think. On days when I switch out my breakfast eggs for avocado or nuts, I’m hungrier than other days.
    There is a theme in my responses isn't there? :)
    Experiment, experiment, experiment - maintenance needs to be personalised and you have all the time in the world to try different things. Preferably change one variable at a time.

Thank you. That makes sense. I haven’t experimented much as I am terrified of regaining the weight like I did last time I lost this much but I think you are probably right that I need to.

"Terrified" needs conscious effort to calm that feeling down from red alert to vigilence, you can't let it stop you from making maintenance easier and more enjoyable than it is now.
    Trust the process that got you to this point.

Just think if you experimented with 100cals a day extra and that turned out to be all a calorie surplus it would take over a month to gain just one pound of fat.
    It would take approximately 269,500 calories above maintenance to regain the 35kg you lost!

I have a goal weight range (7lbs wide) but the upper limit is a hard limit that triggers action - I have no terror of regaining all the weight I lost because I nip it in the bud before a blip becomes a side.

Easier said than done good sir... Pardon the American colloquialism, some of us are bat spit crazy.... lol
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    It is not a-typical to have increased hunger during early maintenance. it is one of the reasons so many of us regain as few successfully manage the time period.

(substantial) regain often resolves the issue :fearful: .... but so does time :smiley: (anecdotally)!

You are indicating a fairly lean status (sub 21 BMI) thus it is not un-expected, to have more of a fight on your hands! If you're showing abs maintenance is harder than when you have a nice layer of energy reserves covering said abs!

Experiment as per @sijomial and tweek your list of satiating foods. whole wholesome and all that :wink: But also do try to see if you can balance on slightly more calories. It may well make you more active and also help you feel better. But, if your careful increase does end up leading to a slow weight TREND increase over time... fight to keep it to a dull roar.

Get to six months, a year... two. Again anecdotally, most people seem to find an equilibrium by that point.

@psychod787 went the deliberate slow regain route...

Yes. Wow, what 3 years and 26lbs can do! Not 100%, but better.
    Op, why a 20.1 bmi? Why not a 25bmi? hell, or 26? Sorry, had to do the conversion to Imperial, yes we are heathens here, and you lost 77lbs. Most impressive. I would suggest you play with diet first. Increase protein to 1g/lb of BW. Lay off the wine. I don't drink, but will state that liquid calories don' do a damn thing for me. Lay off the nuts and seeds. Let your fat come from lower ED types. Avocados, 2% dairy or less, leaner meats, and eggs. Nuts are healthy, just full of calories. I would suggesting cutting carbs to increase protein. 30% of total intake seems to be a sweet spot for hunger reduction, or as above 1g\lb of BW. Keep added sugars to a minimum ,as well as added fats, and liquid calories. If this doesn't work, then consider some slow, progress, controlled regain. Bulk. If you don't lift, get your @ss into the gym and do it. Get a good progressive overload program and aim for about 1/4-1/2 lbs gain a week or so. Some fat may be gained, but you will also increase muscle mass and help with body comp. Holding an unmaintainable BF or weight is just stupid , causes discomfort, and drains your mental capacity. Best wishes.
  • significance
    Thought I'd come back and give an update. I dropped my strength training for a couple of weeks but kept doing everything else the same, and found that I have kept my weight steady but stopped being so hungry. Either my body was trying to put on muscle bulk from the strength training and I wasn't feeding it enough to do so, or my body fat % was just too low (I had abs showing clearly with veins visible, my face was looking a little gaunt and my wrists bony).

I know I do need to do some strength training for my health, so I will add it back and experiment with a slightly higher calorie intake.

@psychod787 I am already doing most of what you say. Almost all my protein comes from eggs, extra lean meat and low-fat dairy (plus some from lentils and rolled oats). I eat nuts, but only about 20g/day (2/3rds of an ounce) and I eat avocados, but only 1 avocado a week, and not all in one go. I eat very little sugar, including sugar from fruit. And yes, as I mentioned in my OP, I had been lifting -- that seems to have been part of the problem.
  • I2k4
    I2k4 Posts: 179 Member
    Don't see mention of meal scheduling. FWIW, I lost overweight a couple of years on a DIY low-carb "mildly hungry all the time diet", and started MFP tracking only recently to adjust for more programmatic exercise (mainly resistance training) while maintaining. Calculated daily Diary calories / macros increase depending on daily exercise, but the biggest change I made is extra high-protein snacking two or three times a day - addresses hunger and meets target protein macro. (Best snacks would clearly depend on food preferences and any intolerances.)
  • mjglantz
    mjglantz Posts: 486 Member
    sijomial. "There is a theme in my responses isn't there? :)
    Experiment, experiment, experiment - maintenance needs to be personalised and you have all the time in the world to try different things. Preferably change one variable at a time."

Couldn't agree more. Personally I find that when I eat a high fiber diet I stay full longer....actually eat more in quantity and the calories tend to stay low. I also exercise every day and have kept off 85 lbs for over 8 years. It is a bit of trial and error and balance.
  • westrich20940
    westrich20940 Posts: 865 Member
    edited August 2021
    I was just going to comment on the weight training portion of this, bc it sounds like you've found that's the thing. You will not 'get bulky' if you aren't eating an EXCESS of calories. You simply need to give your body more calories to continue the weight training. You're not going to put on tons of muscle, I promise you. I'd just up your calorie goal a bit and continue weight training bc it's very good for your health. But, more muscle mass = more caloric burn simply sitting on the couch, so yeah...you'll need to give your body a bit more. Nice - you get to eat more. =D