Gyms...

Options
Does anyone here relate to the following scenarios:
1) you find gyms scary, uncomfortable, and intimidating.
2) gym memberships are inaccessible to you (too pricey etc).
3) you would simply rather exercise at home.
4) you do not have space for tons of workout equipment in your home.
5) you want to get into strength training but are unsure where to start.

Replies

• MaltedTea
    MaltedTea Posts: 6,286 Member
    Options
    While I don't relate to any of these scenarios (except perhaps #3), I wonder whether you're looking for people who do to commiserate with or whether you're looking for suggested solutions.

@ninerbuff gave you a good one. Bodyweight exercises/calisthenics outdoors is also an option.

• Zoomie402
    Zoomie402 Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    MaltedTea wrote: »
    While I don't relate to any of these scenarios (except perhaps #3), I wonder whether you're looking for people who do to commiserate with or whether you're looking for suggested solutions.

@ninerbuff gave you a good one. Bodyweight exercises/calisthenics outdoors is also an option.

Or trying to sell something, as the next step? (Yeah, I'm an old cynic.)

No, I don't really relate.

If seeking solutions, are their outdoor options where you are, not in gyms: Walking, running, hiking, skating, outdoor gams, hiking, biking, open water swimming, canoeing, kayaking, rowing, . . . ? Some of those do cost more than the $10 a month low-end gyms, but some are very inexpensive.

This really does sound gimmicky.....

In the chance that it's not, no, I don't relate 100% either. If you are looking for solutions, C25k is great. Jeff Gallowy is also a great running coach. If running isn't your thing, try getting a bike. There's also a ton of different youtube workout videos to help.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    No
    No
    No
    Yes
    No

Seeking suggestions or commiseration?
  • GummiMundi
    GummiMundi Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    kate6652 wrote: »

#1 I used to, but last year I mustered the courage to join a gym, and my only regret is not having done it much sooner.
    #2 I found a good low-cost local gym. No perks or luxuries, but it has all that I need.
    #3 I can still exercise at home if and when I want to.
    #4 True, I don't. But I have a mat, some resistance bands, and a pair of dumbbells. That gives me plenty to work with. Plus, like some suggested, bodyweight exercises are great. And walking outside is great too.
    #5 My gym has a sort of "beginner's workout plan" that I used for guidance. And then there are lots and lots of good resources online, from MFP to YouTube to other websites. It's a learning process and it can be very rewarding, if you give it a chance.
  • EternalSnow627_
    EternalSnow627_ Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I tried gyms like a few times..didn’t like them found it so boring. I rather work out at home either by walking or playing just dance or my quest2
  • SuzanneC1l9zz
    SuzanneC1l9zz Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    kate6652 wrote: »

1) No
    2) No
    3) Yes
    4) Yes, but I have a stationary bike, dumbells, bench, mat, resistance bands, and yoga ball, plus a Rubbermaid step stool for step ups. I have to sometimes do a bit of rearranging depending on what I want to use, but it really doesn't take up much space at all.
    5) No
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,977 Member
    edited June 2021
    Options
    #3 - Yes. The rest, no.

I have the good fortune to have all of the space and gear that I need to work out at home (or in the outdoors, hiking or walking) entirely ALONE which is my preference.
  • jo_nz
    jo_nz Posts: 548 Member
    Options
    I used to feel that way, but earlier this year started a trial for an online subscription service - access to gym workouts, lots of variety and I can pick and choose what I feel like doing.
    It still costs a little, but less than a gym.
    And I have been surprised how much I love it. I have never worked out this regularly before (5 months in now), and definitely never enjoyed exercise for exercises sake - it was just a chore that I would put off if I could.

I don't have a lot of space, but push the coffee table aside in my living room. I have a few weights now that I keep behind the couch.

As much as I like the idea of camaraderie at the gym with other members, I actually always felt awkward and self-conscious, so just getting it done at home on my own works for me. I focus more on the workout and get a lot more out of it.
  • Xikaiden
    Xikaiden Posts: 37 Member
    edited June 2021
    Options
    1, somewhat since it is unfamiliar, but over time that would probably subside if I were to ever sign up for one.

2, somewhat... because I don't think I'd get the value from a gym since atm I'm only working out 2 days a week. The other 5 are tied up by work. Usually too tired to do much by the time I get home. But there are two different gym francises in the area both advertising about $10 a month. (Vesa and Eos)

3, yes also lucked out and managed some equipment from a liquidating Kmart a few years ago. (bench w/weights a dual eliptical/bike hybrid, some equipment mats, etc for under $300) I've bought more since then.

4.) the equipment lives in the garage. put plastic up over the garage door during the winter and with a space heater used it throughout the winter despite covid.

5.) there are app's for that lol
  • yweight2020
    yweight2020 Posts: 591 Member
    edited June 2021
    Options
    Exercise dvds or videos
    Exercise bands
    A few dumbells
    Exercise ball
    Jump rope
    Outdoor exercises
    🚲🏸⛹🏽‍♀️🚶‍♀️🏓⛸
  • Theoldguy1
    Theoldguy1 Posts: 2,454 Member
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    No
    No
    No
    Yes
    No

Seeking suggestions or commiseration?

Same here.
  • Dootzy1
    Dootzy1 Posts: 2,141 Member
    Options
    Not going to be intimidated by something like a gym.....because people there are usually in their own routines.... or looking at much younger people! haha!
    My gym is the YMCA, so my membership helps my community, as well as is reasonable. :) I value having access to many different types of strength machines, and cardio equipment. I don't do much in the free weights area.
    I can still do workouts at home, as I did for much of last year. Truthfully, just getting there gets me over the hump, as there isn't anything else to do but workout at the gym, so I don't get distracted by things at home. Plus, sometimes I am inspired by others who are invested in their own fitness.
    The staff should provide a beginning orientation, and then you can get a followup if you request it. All the staff is not that "expert", but can provide some helpful feedback, and useful "how-to's" with new equipment, etc.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    #3 yes...kinda. Not necessarily at home, but there are about a million different things I can do to be active and exercise that don't involve being in a gym. I'm not a big "workerouter"...I like being outside on my road bike or mountain biking on the weekends or hiking or swimming, etc. I'm not super great about getting to the gym because there are about a million other things I'd rather be doing.

The rest no. I was pretty solid getting into the gym for several years to lift, but it just doesn't hold much appeal to me anymore. I do get in once or twice per week, but it's a bit of a chore.
  • Mellouk89
    Mellouk89 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    I would much rather exercise at home, I don't like the gym at all. The gym is often for people who don't have the motivation to train at home. I can train at home and put in much more efforts than when i'm at the gym.

Next year i'm investing in a home gym when I move to a new place.
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    None of the above.

Assuming you're not trying to sell some *kitten* you should come back and chat. Lots of awesome people here that will be glad to give you advice.

Good luck.
  • nossmf
    nossmf Posts: 8,978 Member
    Options
    My workout of choice is weight lifting, and I don't have the space at home to setup my own lifting area, let alone the money to actually fill such a space! Plus it's nice having somebody else nearby to act as a spotter the rare time I lift close to my max.
  • megemrj
    megemrj Posts: 547 Member
    Options
    1) somewhat. I find a pair of headphones and a *kitten* face go a long way
    2) I pay annually to save $5 per month.
    3) sometimes but then again the gym environment is awesome
    4) I have a gym for lifting setup in half of our double garage. My treadmill and rower are in the living room because TV 😅
    5) it is a bit intimidating to start but I absolutely LOVE lifting. It has made more positive changes to my body than any cardio exercise I've ever done. Pick a program based on goals then do the research. Study movements, safety, and form. YouTube, Google, watch others in person if you can (if they are experienced)
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    1) you find gyms scary, uncomfortable, and intimidating. no
    2) gym memberships are inaccessible to you (too pricey etc). no
    3) you would simply rather exercise at home. not necessarily. i finding getting up, dressed, and going there to be motivation
    4) you do not have space for tons of workout equipment in your home. seeing as i have 3 unused rooms in my house i cant say i dont have enough room
    5) you want to get into strength training but are unsure where to start. not true

what are you selling. we are not interested