sodium

Options
MFP defaults to 2500 mg of sodium for a 1200 calorie diet. That seems like an awful lot to me. Are there any nutritionists (or other people who know better than I) who can weigh in on whether that's a good goal, or if not, then what is? Thanks very much! {edit: also, is there a *minimum* target?}

Replies

• jazzy020106
    jazzy020106 Posts: 485 Member
    Options
    Great question! I would love to know =]
  • KMPeddle
    Options
    I've learned from a dietitian that a woman should eat roughly 1500mg of sodium per day. Her recommendation to avoid sodium was a simple rule that is easier said than done - don't eat anything that comes from a box (with the exception of some cereal).

Hope this helps!

I should also add that I have fluid retention problems, so I'm trying to stay away from sodium at all costs!
  • maleva720
    maleva720 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I notice I come close or go over my sodium a lot. I dont add salt or eat canned foods. I do eat a lot of yogurt, salad dressing and low fat cheeses which seem to add salt to replace the flavor from having less fat. I dont know the nutritional number but MFP allows me 2,500 as well.
  • karengroovy
    karengroovy Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I've learned from a dietitian that a woman should eat roughly 1500mg of sodium per day. Her recommendation to avoid sodium was a simple rule that is easier said than done - don't eat anything that comes from a box (with the exception of some cereal).

This sounds much more reasonable to me. I've already had breakfast & lunch today, totaling 772mg of sodium, so 2500 for the day feels absurd. But 1500 sounds about right. Thanks!